Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,463 times

Advertisements

Good evening,
Very much enjoyed reading over the years all the sincere and multifaceted advice on city data fora and now in need of guidance ourselves.
We are a young family (early 30s, two kids) currently based in Miami Beach, disenchanted with almost everything Miami, and looking to start a new chapter in the Northeast over the coming summer.
Our rationale for Northern Westchester is based on our yearning for nature, peace, good public schools (all three virtually non-existent in South Florida), as well as relative proximity to NYC.
Our work (wife - design, me - finance) allows us to work from home, therefore commuting is not a factor.
As a rough guideline, our budget for a new home is $1.5m to $2.5m with historical/ architectural significance, land and pool/ tennis high on our priorities list.
Having visited the area a few times over the past months, Bedford Village seems at first (and second) sight pretty much perfect. The Bedford elementary school, apart from photogenic, appears to be excellent academically/ socially. The village is more than picturesque, and there is local content (gourmet shops, restaurants, theater) to satisfy most cravings.
Pound Ridge & North Salem, while perhaps slightly more rural (by no means a negative for us..), appear to have similar qualities minus a picturesque village.
Our questions/ concerns:
Which area would you recommend us to focus on?
Is there a big difference between between being West or East of 684?
(Honest) Demographics? More than anything else, we are looking for our children to be surrounded by happy, polite, well-adjusted, not spoiled peers (who tend to be brought up by similar minded parents..).
Very much grateful for all good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM

307 posts, read 637,040 times
Bedford Village sounds like a great fit for you. At your budget, you should be able to get most, if not all of what you are looking for. You can't do much better as far as a picturesque, nature-centric area with reasonable commute to Manhattan (if needed).

I always felt that east of 684 (Bedford, North Salem, Pound Ridge, Katonah) has a bit more of a New England feel then the towns to the west. There is also much more of a horse culture in these towns. And generally the houses are more spread out.

Last edited by neil1973; 10-17-2016 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 02:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,602 times
Since you mention it, if a picturesque village/downtown is something you don't want to give up then I would also definitely urge you to consider New Canaan and Ridgefield CT (both more substantial than Bedford village but similar New England vibe).. if living in Pound Ridge you will probably end up shopping there every so often anyway and the property taxes are much cheaper (but home prices higher) than Westchester. You also mentioned Katonah which has a great little town. Rural always sounds appealing (and for a country house is nice), just make sure that's truly what you want if you do end up in North Salem, Pound Ridge, etc.)

Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,463 times
Gentlemen, many thanks for your comments.
We had looked at New Canaan but preferred (at least on superficial first sight basis) the feel of Northern Westchester.
Following your recommendation, we will have another look.
Are there any significant differences in demographics and quality of schools between Bedford, Katonah, Pound Ridge and North Salem?
Is Somers worth considering as option?
Once again, incredibly grateful for all advice.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM

307 posts, read 637,040 times
The schools are pretty much a wash. They're all good. Pound Ridge and Bedford use Fox Lane, and Katonah uses John Jay. North Salem has its own school which is very small I think. The main difference is that Fox Lane has more diversity, due to Mt Kisco having an immigrant population. Somer's schools are good as well from what I hear.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:24 PM

130 posts, read 179,314 times
TheConstantGardener, forget about the school systems in the towns you mention, as neil1973 says: they're all good. Question is: Where are you going to be working?

The reason I ask is because if you're thinking about NYC... some of the towns you named may be a logistical nightmare.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:41 PM

195 posts, read 297,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobslander View Post
TheConstantGardener, forget about the school systems in the towns you mention, as neil1973 says: they're all good. Question is: Where are you going to be working?

The reason I ask is because if you're thinking about NYC... some of the towns you named may be a logistical nightmare.
Jakobslander - They both work from home

Old 10-20-2016, 11:56 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener View Post
Good evening,
Very much enjoyed reading over the years all the sincere and multifaceted advice on city data fora and now in need of guidance ourselves.
We are a young family (early 30s, two kids) currently based in Miami Beach, disenchanted with almost everything Miami, and looking to start a new chapter in the Northeast over the coming summer.
Our rationale for Northern Westchester is based on our yearning for nature, peace, good public schools (all three virtually non-existent in South Florida), as well as relative proximity to NYC.
Our work (wife - design, me - finance) allows us to work from home, therefore commuting is not a factor.
As a rough guideline, our budget for a new home is $1.5m to $2.5m with historical/ architectural significance, land and pool/ tennis high on our priorities list.
Having visited the area a few times over the past months, Bedford Village seems at first (and second) sight pretty much perfect. The Bedford elementary school, apart from photogenic, appears to be excellent academically/ socially. The village is more than picturesque, and there is local content (gourmet shops, restaurants, theater) to satisfy most cravings.
Pound Ridge & North Salem, while perhaps slightly more rural (by no means a negative for us..), appear to have similar qualities minus a picturesque village.
Our questions/ concerns:
Which area would you recommend us to focus on?
Is there a big difference between between being West or East of 684?
(Honest) Demographics? More than anything else, we are looking for our children to be surrounded by happy, polite, well-adjusted, not spoiled peers (who tend to be brought up by similar minded parents..).
Very much grateful for all good advice.
This immediately eliminates New Canaan. Sounds like Pound Ridge is the way to go given your circumstances. You'll find that, although it's an upmarket, well educated place that there isn't the same conspicuous consumption and striving that you'd see in Bedford Village. Also a more relaxed post-commuter culture, less of the frenzy associated with NYC commuters. Search my other posts on PR for details (lived there 25 years). Also, depending on where you are in PR you could very well be closer to Bedford Village than many parts of Bedford itself. That was the case for me. The Salems always had a more remote feel and are less convenient to everything.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 PM

130 posts, read 179,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
Jakobslander - They both work from home
In that case Pound Ridge is the winner in my opinion. I ride my bicycle through the area all the time and it's just jaw-dropping gorgeous. The whole area around the Connecticut panhandle, on both sides, is just gorgeous. New Canaan is a little... urban (for lack of a better word).

Pound Ridge has the Ward Pound Ridge park (hiking,) the Cross River reservoir (for a dip in the lake as well as some canoeing,) good school system and is close to the New Canaan line (close to Nu Yohk).

Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobslander View Post
In that case Pound Ridge is the winner in my opinion. I ride my bicycle through the area all the time and it's just jaw-dropping gorgeous. The whole area around the Connecticut panhandle, on both sides, is just gorgeous. New Canaan is a little... urban (for lack of a better word).

Pound Ridge has the Ward Pound Ridge park (hiking,) the Cross River reservoir (for a dip in the lake as well as some canoeing,) good school system and is close to the New Canaan line (close to Nu Yohk).
Pound Ridge is great if you love the semi-rural life.

And the good news in your price range, it is a totally BUYER'S market. No need to rush. Shop around. Make low offers. Someone will bite.

And you will find that a house that sold for $1.5M in 2005 and 2006, might only go for $1.0M today. And, it is likely that the seller put some significant money into renovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County