U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 29,322 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to this board and so far very impressed with how helpful everyone is.

I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Here is my situation, I will be moving from Atlanta to work in Manhatten and alot of people tell me that I should live outside the city due to things be less pricey in the apartment market. One of the biggest recommendations people have made was New Rochelle. From what I can tell I have heard nothing but good things about NR so here are my questions

1) I need something that I can easily commute to work from. I have no idea at this point how people commute into the city or how easy it is. How is this done?

2) I hear about good Italian neighborhoods in NYC, being Italian myself I would love to be close to that culture, is NR considered an Italian nighborhood?

3) Any things or areas in NR that I should stay away from?

4) Anything decent available around $1200?

Thank you so much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:42 PM

100 posts, read 595,278 times
NR is on the rebound and all the development that is going down there it will be the next White Plains.

I also suggest looking into White Plains. A 30-45 minute commute to Grand Central depending on time of day.

But if you really want an Italian neighborhood, i suggest a town called Harrison, just north of NR on the Sound Shore. There is a strong Italian community, most notably in the hamlet of West Harrison, they even have the St. Anthony's Feast!!!

All of Westchester and NYC metropolitan area have strong italian connections. I am sure NR has one but I do not know exactly where.

NR is nice, but like all cities there are areas to avoid. As New Rochelle gentrifies there will be less areas that are unsafe.

Good Luck and welcome to NYC.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,276,668 times
NR is a quickly growing city. It has some sketchy areas but nothing like nearby Yonkers and Mount Vernon in scale.

I'm also sure the city has Italian neighborhoods, but i'm not sure which.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,762,243 times
Well, my italian father was born in the bronx and used to drag race right down Pelham parkway LOL!

If you want an italian neighborhood get on that parkway and head west till you go into little italy in the bronx. East 187th st and Arthur avenue are the real deal when it comes to Italian heritage and cuisine. You might have to mapquest it because I have never driven from NR to the Bronx all in one shot, people more familiar with the area might be able to give you better directions. I want to say take the cross county to the cross bronx but I am no navigating genius when it comes to NYC LOL!

Got to hit Calabria's pork store, Pasquale's Rigaletto (dress nice and be prepared for $$), Egidio's for pasteries (the best cannoli's ever known to mankind) and they have Addeo's bakery for some wonderful bread made right there on the spot and lard biscuits. Mike's deli sells some wonderful sandwiches and sells various cold cuts, there is a fish store, ravioli shop and a general market. The half moon pizzaria (or is it the full moon) sells a pretty good pie. Just about any shop in Little Italy will exceed your expectations!

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

While you are there, take a look at Mt Carmel church. All the old timer Italians would go there it is a lovely place.

I am sure you will find a lot of Italian Americans in that area, many have not strayed too far from NYC since they got off the boat.

I hope you can hit your price range but I think it is going to be a little tough. 1200 does not get you much until you go upstate a bit..

Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,250,988 times
This is all true, but the residents are not Italian. In the BX, you can go to Throgs Neck, Morris Park, Country Club (SE BX). I know Yonkers has a large Italian section, and it close to the city. Not too sure otherwise. Of course, if you chose LI as your place to live there won't be too much of a problem finding Italians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Well, my italian father was born in the bronx and used to drag race right down Pelham parkway LOL!

If you want an italian neighborhood get on that parkway and head west till you go into little italy in the bronx. East 187th st and Arthur avenue are the real deal when it comes to Italian heritage and cuisine. You might have to mapquest it because I have never driven from NR to the Bronx all in one shot, people more familiar with the area might be able to give you better directions. I want to say take the cross county to the cross bronx but I am no navigating genius when it comes to NYC LOL!

Got to hit Calabria's pork store, Pasquale's Rigaletto (dress nice and be prepared for $$), Egidio's for pasteries (the best cannoli's ever known to mankind) and they have Addeo's bakery for some wonderful bread made right there on the spot and lard biscuits. Mike's deli sells some wonderful sandwiches and sells various cold cuts, there is a fish store, ravioli shop and a general market. The half moon pizzaria (or is it the full moon) sells a pretty good pie. Just about any shop in Little Italy will exceed your expectations!

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

While you are there, take a look at Mt Carmel church. All the old timer Italians would go there it is a lovely place.

I am sure you will find a lot of Italian Americans in that area, many have not strayed too far from NYC since they got off the boat.

I hope you can hit your price range but I think it is going to be a little tough. 1200 does not get you much until you go upstate a bit..

Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 29,322 times
Thanks for all the great advice! It is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 PM
TKD

3 posts, read 13,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBite4 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice! It is greatly appreciated!!!
any more comments on places to AVOID in New Rochelle?????

Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 60,676 times
Default More information on New Rochelle

Hello eveyrone,

We are also looking at NR as a possible relocation option and it looks much nicer and affordable than Pelham, Mamaroneck, rye etc

We have 2 small kids, so can someone give me information about good schools in this area, daycares etc.

Also - are the house prices lower that the above mentioned areas due to this not being a "cache" town, or might there be some other reasons that we need to be aware of.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,023,208 times
The schools in New Rochelle are very good. Check out PublicSchoolReview.com.

Best elementary is Ward, middle school Albert Leonard. Parents of the other schools will be happy to contradict me. New Rochelle High School is the only high school. There are several magnet schools with their own specialties that are very good.

The high school is the second largest in Westchester County, so it doesn't score as high as other high schools in Westchester County, some with only 600 or so students. But it is a good school...my son was accepted at every college he applied to, some the best in the country.

St Lukes has a good pre-school and after school program. There are numerous others.

Now, house prices. NR is a small city. Back in the late 60's and early 70's it was politically and financially mismanaged. Stores like Bloomingdales closed their doors and fled to White Plains. Race was a problem. Actually, the perception of race was a problem, and NR experienced it's own version of white-flight. Plus, people from surrounding communities refused to shop in NR.

Downtown NR still isn't so great, but that's because Donald Trump and a local developer are putting up a luxury apartment building in downtown NR and streets are jammed up with construction. Another apartment building is going up next to the library.

Westchester Magazine just wrote up NR as one of the 6 hottest towns in Westchester to get into.

Like the rest of the area though, high property taxes.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 50,627 times
Default HI Bronx

hi if your looking for an itailan area in the 5 boro's well Country Club in the bronx is still all that its in the Pelham Bay area. Can find a nice size apt, for that price and bus and train are available to you. even pelham bay is still pretty good can walk to stores and train.(Also Morris Park area staying closes to Williamsbridge road is still fine.) if you consider new rochelle stay only on Shore Road unless you look in North NR you will be ok also. but travel is a little more expensive and apartments are more also. Parts of South new rochelle are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or