U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:30 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,150,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
For the last 8 years, we have been looking everywhere in L.I. We were set on Huntington. We've recently visited Hudson Valley and loved it. My husband will be commuting to Astoria Queens. Now we're thinking we want to buy now and Huntington is just a tad too pricey for us right now.

We visited Holmes, Carmel, Yorktown Heights Mohegan and a small part of Cortlandt Manor. All of those towns except for Cortlandt Manor were so sleepy and too remote for us.

We have a 2 year old baby girl, and we are looking for activities in the town, some shopping, a sense of community, some walkability, a downtown even if small.

Hungtington has all of this, and I don't know if I can find a big town like this in the areas along the Hudson?

The price range is around $300K, 3 bed 2 bath, taxes up to $9K. Great schools. IF there is a perfect town with all of my requirements, he wouldn't mind commuting 10-15 mins further. His schedule is 6a-2p if that matters.

Where do you suggest we look next?
I think the issue is what you want when you say "great" schools. Some people are very serious and want only the top 20 or 30 school districts in the state, which are also nationally ranked. Others are fine with a school that is not nationally ranked, but is in the top 20% of the state. Yorktown, Lakeland (Cortlandt Manor), Croton all have schools that are in the top 100 in NY, but not in the top 20 and not a nationally ranked school. You can find a 3BR in Cortlandt Manor or Yorktown in that price range and in Croton for just a bit higher. I would keep looking in Cortlandt and Yorktown. I live in Cortlandt and love it. All the best to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM

428 posts, read 894,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I think the issue is what you want when you say "great" schools. Some people are very serious and want only the top 20 or 30 school districts in the state, which are also nationally ranked. Others are fine with a school that is not nationally ranked, but is in the top 20% of the state. Yorktown, Lakeland (Cortlandt Manor), Croton all have schools that are in the top 100 in NY, but not in the top 20 and not a nationally ranked school. You can find a 3BR in Cortlandt Manor or Yorktown in that price range and in Croton for just a bit higher. I would keep looking in Cortlandt and Yorktown. I live in Cortlandt and love it. All the best to you.
I appreciate your feedback! Thank you! Great schools having a rating of 8+ - with good test scores, 90% college grads if possible, good peers, team sports.

I know there isn't much in Cortlandt, but I see a gem or two. Will keep looking, and we'll be back to visit this weekend to get a better feel.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 PM

283 posts, read 545,538 times
Those great schools ratings are garbage.(7,8,9..really?).

Look at the US news and world report ratings of US high schools, that will give you a bit more of a picture of how schools stack up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County