U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:43 AM

428 posts, read 886,754 times

Advertisements

For the last 8 years, we have been looking everywhere in L.I. We were set on Huntington. We've recently visited Hudson Valley and loved it. My husband will be commuting to Astoria Queens. Now we're thinking we want to buy now and Huntington is just a tad too pricey for us right now.

We visited Holmes, Carmel, Yorktown Heights Mohegan and a small part of Cortlandt Manor. All of those towns except for Cortlandt Manor were so sleepy and too remote for us.

We have a 2 year old baby girl, and we are looking for activities in the town, some shopping, a sense of community, some walkability, a downtown even if small.

Hungtington has all of this, and I don't know if I can find a big town like this in the areas along the Hudson?

The price range is around $300K, 3 bed 2 bath, taxes up to $9K. Great schools. IF there is a perfect town with all of my requirements, he wouldn't mind commuting 10-15 mins further. His schedule is 6a-2p if that matters.

Where do you suggest we look next?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 AM

195 posts, read 244,953 times
In Somers you may be able to find a condo for that price, but it's the epitome of sleepy and remote.
I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist in NY. If you want great schools and a nice town, it's not going to be 300k. If you want the price and the schools, it's going to be in the country and well over an hour commute for your husband.
I wish you luck, but I think you're going to have to compromise something to find a place that's going to work for you

Old 09-19-2016, 11:13 AM

374 posts, read 972,029 times
on a comparable commute westchester house would be more expensive than Huntington. Not sure about the taxes.

So if Huntington is too expensive, westchester is out.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
on a comparable commute westchester house would be more expensive than Huntington. Not sure about the taxes.

So if Huntington is too expensive, westchester is out.
What about a small house in Cortlandt/Yorktown? Or any of Rockland County? Not sure if I should be posting on a non Westchester board.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,908 times
I'm from Long Island, my wife and I moved to Northern Westchester a little over 4 years ago when it was time for kids(we were in the city prior.) After renting in Peekskill for a couple of years we ended up buying a shortsale in Cortlandt Manor. I still casually keep an eye on the market and there are plenty of houses in the 300k ballpark in Cortlandt/Mohegan Lake with taxes around 9k. Maybe not the most pristine and updated houses, but places that are absolutely livable, updatable and in decent enough areas. Living up here is a little different than LI, we have most of the amenities, but no traffic and not as many strip malls. Commuting to Astoria may be a bit rough compared to the drive from Huntington, but I think the quality of life is much higher not being stuck on the Island.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtlndtmnr View Post
I'm from Long Island, my wife and I moved to Northern Westchester a little over 4 years ago when it was time for kids(we were in the city prior.) After renting in Peekskill for a couple of years we ended up buying a shortsale in Cortlandt Manor. I still casually keep an eye on the market and there are plenty of houses in the 300k ballpark in Cortlandt/Mohegan Lake with taxes around 9k. Maybe not the most pristine and updated houses, but places that are absolutely livable, updatable and in decent enough areas. Living up here is a little different than LI, we have most of the amenities, but no traffic and not as many strip malls. Commuting to Astoria may be a bit rough compared to the drive from Huntington, but I think the quality of life is much higher not being stuck on the Island.
Thank you so much for your feedback.

When you say most amenities - what would you say about that? I'm very much into shopping (wahhhh) and family community festivals, 5ks, sports and activities, fairs, boutiques, restaurants cafes and some bars. Not that Long Island is the ultimate place for that but I found enough of it in Huntington. I'm not a homebody at all and I'm always looking for something to do.

I grew up in suburban Miami so I have a different perspective. I'm trying to be realistic but I will remain relentless in my search

Could I still be satisfied in a neighborhood like Cortlandt Manor in that respect?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:47 AM

As long as you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, there is plenty of stuff going on most weekends. I know parts of Huntington are very walkable, Cortlandt is not walkable at all, but downtown Peekskill is a quick drive and has the restaurants/bar/coffeeshops and all of the things you would find in a downtown area. There are also a ton of beautiful parks/hiking trails sprinkled around.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtlndtmnr View Post
As long as you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, there is plenty of stuff going on most weekends. I know parts of Huntington are very walkable, Cortlandt is not walkable at all, but downtown Peekskill is a quick drive and has the restaurants/bar/coffeeshops and all of the things you would find in a downtown area. There are also a ton of beautiful parks/hiking trails sprinkled around.
Was Peekskill not an option for you to stay because of the low rated schools?

Old 09-20-2016, 11:24 AM

57 posts, read 68,804 times
My wife commuted from Lower Westchester to Astoria for a year, both driving and public transport. We thought having the Metro North stop at H125 and taking the bus over the Triboro would make it easier. It was awful. On a normal day the commute was 90 mins door-to-door, but there were days where it could be 2.5 hours if she drove or took the bus over the bridge to H125. When that's happening once a week it wears you down quickly. I can't imagine what it would be like from Northern Westchester. Make sure your husband understands what he's getting into before committing to a long and potentially frustrating commute.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Was Peekskill not an option for you to stay because of the low rated schools?
No, we wanted a little more space. The houses in Peekskill are piled on top of each other, we instead found a quiet street where almost all of the houses are on over an acre of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County