U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 AM

428 posts, read 858,728 times

Advertisements

We thought we could consider certain neighborhoods in our price range. We've been to Yorktown Heights, Mahopac, Cortlandt Manor, Cortlandt, Nanuet, Pearl River, Tappan, New City.

I'm from a city suburb in Miami, so of course this area is very different for me. I've lived in Queens for 8 years, and we have been so sure we were moving to the large Hungtington in Suffolk County. We started considering this downstate area...BUT

I feel Yorktown Heights/Mahopac = so sleepy and looks a bit run down (the shopping, man).
Cortlandt/Cortland Manor looks so remote - houses in the forest on hills. Long driving distance to a gas station
Tappan/New City - nice but backyards are in the forest and completed shaded That doesn't work for me.
Nanuet/Pearl River - best of all. We really liked it. Like the proximity to everything lively and the neighborhoods are very manicured.

Does this all make sense? Do I feel like this bc I'm used to South Florida? DH has a lifetime job in NY, so we are here to stay. I want to pick the best place I can call home. What do you think of my observations of the area? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:04 AM

195 posts, read 231,275 times
Upper Westchester IS the country, so if you don't like country life, forests, land, peace and quiet - then it probably isn't for you.
What is stopping you from staying in Queens/Long Island?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:09 AM

57 posts, read 63,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
Upper Westchester IS the country, so if you don't like country life, forests, land, peace and quiet - then it probably isn't for you.
What is stopping you from staying in Queens/Long Island?
Agree re: Upper Westchester.

If you're trying to decide where to buy, and are unsure, why not try renting in one of these communities first - give it a trial run to see if you like it before committing to buy.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:46 PM

195 posts, read 231,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbrooklyn View Post
Agree re: Upper Westchester.

If you're trying to decide where to buy, and are unsure, why not try renting in one of these communities first - give it a trial run to see if you like it before committing to buy.
Absolutely. Northern Westchester is as different from Queens as two places can get and still speak the same language (from someone who's lived in both)

Old 09-26-2016, 02:58 PM

949 posts, read 964,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
We thought we could consider certain neighborhoods in our price range. We've been to Yorktown Heights, Mahopac, Cortlandt Manor, Cortlandt, Nanuet, Pearl River, Tappan, New City.

I'm from a city suburb in Miami, so of course this area is very different for me. I've lived in Queens for 8 years, and we have been so sure we were moving to the large Hungtington in Suffolk County. We started considering this downstate area...BUT

I feel Yorktown Heights/Mahopac = so sleepy and looks a bit run down (the shopping, man).
Cortlandt/Cortland Manor looks so remote - houses in the forest on hills. Long driving distance to a gas station
Tappan/New City - nice but backyards are in the forest and completed shaded That doesn't work for me.
Nanuet/Pearl River - best of all. We really liked it. Like the proximity to everything lively and the neighborhoods are very manicured.

Does this all make sense? Do I feel like this bc I'm used to South Florida? DH has a lifetime job in NY, so we are here to stay. I want to pick the best place I can call home. What do you think of my observations of the area? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
While I disagree that Yorktown Heights/Mahopac is at all run down, it is a rural community. I live in Cortland and it is very remote. My house is indeed on a hill and surrounded on two sides by a very wooded area with over 1000 feet of woods to the next neighbor. Its only a mile to the nearest gas station though. But that is certainly common for Cortlandt. large lots of land with little development. Honestly, stay put in Queens. It sounds like you like a more urban location just outside the large city areas. Good luck to you.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,484,849 times
Why limit yourself to the north of the city? There is much more to Long Island and NJ. Also Fairfield county, in CT has nice places. However, pay attention to the commute from the west side of the Hudson (Rockland county) to Manhattan which can be problematic at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County