U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 6,464,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Can't contribute an answer yet, but can't wait to read others! I have been around county to a number of restaurants lately, and have been disappointed by all (considering price paid) - even by ones given "high marks" by Westchester magazine...

Here is where I visited in the last 6 weeks:

Xavier X2O Yonkers waterfront: Food was fine - and that's just it - fine. After paying the high prices and having to settle for a 5:30 reservation - I was expecting a wonderful meal - NOT. Also, in my day fine dining meant a level of perfection - the decor was visibly dirty/worn - unacceptable

Cheesecake Factory White Plains - I know, its a chain - but have you seen their prices? I paid for parking! Even though its a chain - I have enjoyed their food in the past. Wait , wait, wait..45 minutes for dinner. 6 in our party, and meals came out 10 minutes apart - I was practically done by the time my husband got his... rarely saw the waiter. It cost me hundreds of dollars after drinks, dinner, dessert for sub par service! What a disappointment!

Mortons - White Plains. Obviously I knew what to expect here (as well as Ruth Chris, Augies prime, Frankie and Johnnys, etc) and I got it. But favorite? - no

Pier Restaurant & Tiki Bar - Rye - OK, we didn't go here for cuisine - so in that sense we were not disappointed. The apps and being on the water were fun for happy hour prices, so it was a pass but I wouldn't rush back

Red Hat - Irvington. $14 for all wines by the glass - really? Expensive, food is decent, but we like to eat at the bar, and the bartenders said 2 words to us other than - what would you like?

Il Laghetto - Mahopac - OK, another example of the service clouding my judgement of the place.
The server was nice, but the kitchen was so slow - 3 hours for dinner on a Wednesday!

Gleason's Peekskill: Cool place - I wanted so much to be thrilled. The wait staff was not very knowledgeable, the pizza was cold(the place was cold), and honestly, $21 for a PERSONAL pizza - It should have been memorable to say the least!

Here's a list of places that were overrated for food, but get high marks for service/bartender:
Moderne Barn, North Star, Rye Bar and Grille, Augies Prime, Willie Nick's

Here's a list of places with great food, no ambience - Bob B Q's, Muscoot tavern, Lefteris Gyro, Piero's & too many diners for breakfast, and sushi places to mention.

Honestly, this is a hot topic for me as I am middle aged, middle income, and I like to meet up with friends or family once in a while for more than just grabbing a bite. For a place to become a favorite to me, It should have something more than "pub food",& enjoyable environment for having a couple of cocktails/beer or wine with friends. And if I am spending big money for food - it better be good, and the SERVICE MATTERS. I feel so many places in Westchester are clamoring to be inventive and hip, but fall short on service and food - I mean it may look nice, but does the staff even EAT the stuff? Either that or the place is SO old school that it is not fun for an evening out - I mean, how many times can I rave about bread, salad & chicken parm?

I guess I am looking for a place that is middle of the road like me - good food, decent prices, a little fun(or a decent bar), not too fancy - not too dumpy - for it to be a favorite. If anyone knows of such a place - (even if it is across the Fairfield County line) let me know!!!
Willie Nick's in Katonah used to be such an inviting place with a lovely casual atmosphere. I used to frequent it for breakfasts, brunch, social meetings. A few years ago they changed it into something somber, overpriced and pretentious and I stopped going there. Katonah really needs a place like that and hopefully somone will open one.

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-09-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:23 PM

5,673 posts, read 6,464,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Over the state line.. Little Pub in Ridgefield is supposed to be excellent, and Sesame Seed in Danbury is a fun albeit cramped place for a meal.
Little pub is OK, but would call it excellent...

Old 10-14-2016, 11:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,130,212 times
We just had a fun experience here The Dining Lab

This is a school and except for the supervisors, everyone is a student. So service, including the food will be uneven. But it's fun. The supervisor didn't like the way our waiter put down the silverware, so she had her pick everything up and do it all over again. The same thing happened with our starters. The wait staff put everything on the table, but the supervisor had them pick everything up and do it all over again glaring at them the whole time. I'm making it sound like some kind of boot camp, but really the whole experience was charming. You will never have a wait staff work so hard for your every dining wish.

It's BYOB with no corkage fee and no tips allowed. $25 a person. Oddly, it's the best cup of coffee I've ever had in a restaurant.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:32 PM

109 posts, read 130,721 times
I barely go out at night anymore but here's my list:

Lunch/breakfast:

Susan Lawrence - Chappaqua
Jean Jacques - Pleasantville

Lunch/Dinner:

Exit 4 - Mt. Kisco

Dinner:

Peter Luger - Queens or Brooklyn
Taverna Kyclades - Queens

The best one so far, meaning the price-to-quality ratio is Taverna Kyclades. Try it and let everyone know.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:07 PM

582 posts, read 1,123,904 times
I'm going to try something in New Rochelle this weekend.
Mexican Corner, or AJs, or Tzatziki Greek Grill.
Thanks for this insight.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
My wife and I go out every week and we've been deeply unimpressed with many of the restaurants in lower Westchester lately. High prices, middling service and so-so food. TOS dictate we can't bash anyone, so I'll stick with safe favorites.

The Cobble Stone Family Restaurant- Since 1933 - Purchase, New York on Anderson Hill Rd in Purchase. Good food, good service, nice ambiance. It's not fancy or high end, but it's consistently pleasing and we always leave feeling happy.
I went to the Cobble Stone.

Food was literally unremarkable.

But, I did appreciate the no BS casual interior.
Just my speed for a casual weeknight dinner out.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM

46 posts, read 72,480 times
Blue hill stone barns farm to dining has been one of the most unique experiences.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 AM

149 posts, read 253,795 times
Peter Pratt's Inn in Yorktown Heights.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofox View Post
Blue hill stone barns farm to dining has been one of the most unique experiences.
Yea, but that's also one of the least creative responses.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:49 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,130,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leofox View Post
And Vox Media just named it the best restaurant in America.

http://www.eater.com/best-american-r...rns-dan-barber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County