Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

MP Taverna in Irvington. Pricy, but their dishes are very flavorful and not greasy/rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:44 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
My wife and I go out every week and we've been deeply unimpressed with many of the restaurants in lower Westchester lately. High prices, middling service and so-so food. TOS dictate we can't bash anyone, so I'll stick with safe favorites.

The Cobble Stone Family Restaurant- Since 1933 - Purchase, New York on Anderson Hill Rd in Purchase. Good food, good service, nice ambiance. It's not fancy or high end, but it's consistently pleasing and we always leave feeling happy.

Larchmont Tavern - Since 1933 Onion soup to die for. Very cozy. Good sandwiches

Welcome to Piper’s Kilt – More than Great Burgers! Consistently rated the best hamburger in Westchester County. And they serve a kick azz brunch

The Mexican Corner Restaurant in New Rochelle. My favorite Mexican restaurant in Westchester County. At the corner of Lawton and Main in downtown New Rochelle. It's small and the service is slow, but that's because they actually cook your food, not just heat it up in a microwave. It puts the bigger chain Mexican restaurants to shame.

At times, I just like a good diner. The Nautilus Diner on the Post Rd in Mamaroneck has an enormous menu, good specials, and has a pleasant retro feel. It's very popular but we've never waited for a seat.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:28 PM

7 posts, read 22,931 times
Sushi Mike's
Madison Kitchen
Moderne Barn
Fiamma
Bar Taco
The Cookery

So many great places to choose from!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
TOS dictate we can't bash anyone, so I'll stick with safe favorites.
TOS dictates that you can't be slanderous a-hole. Legitimate critique seems to be acceptable. I like your choices, though.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:05 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Here's Westchester Magazine's Best of Westchester Food and Drink polled by the readers.

Food & Drink Readers’ Picks 2016

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennk3 View Post
Sushi Mike's
Madison Kitchen
Moderne Barn
Fiamma
Bar Taco
The Cookery

So many great places to choose from!
Fiamma Trattoria? The owner is married to a girl a grew up with. He can cook his a$$ off. Food is delicious and really affordable.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM

56 posts, read 78,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
My wife and I go out every week and we've been deeply unimpressed with many of the restaurants in lower Westchester lately. High prices, middling service and so-so food. TOS dictate we can't bash anyone, so I'll stick with safe favorites.

The Cobble Stone Family Restaurant- Since 1933 - Purchase, New York on Anderson Hill Rd in Purchase. Good food, good service, nice ambiance. It's not fancy or high end, but it's consistently pleasing and we always leave feeling happy.

Larchmont Tavern - Since 1933 Onion soup to die for. Very cozy. Good sandwiches

Welcome to Piper’s Kilt – More than Great Burgers! Consistently rated the best hamburger in Westchester County. And they serve a kick azz brunch

The Mexican Corner Restaurant in New Rochelle. My favorite Mexican restaurant in Westchester County. At the corner of Lawton and Main in downtown New Rochelle. It's small and the service is slow, but that's because they actually cook your food, not just heat it up in a microwave. It puts the bigger chain Mexican restaurants to shame.

At times, I just like a good diner. The Nautilus Diner on the Post Rd in Mamaroneck has an enormous menu, good specials, and has a pleasant retro feel. It's very popular but we've never waited for a seat.
Indeed, so many places to choose from. As far as burges go Piper's Kilt does not come close to AJ's and Tzatziki Greek Grill, both in New Rochelle. I have not eaten a burger in every single restaurant in Westchester yet so far it is AJ's and Tzatziki running for the 1st place in Westchester. Hopefully they will get some competition.

Mexican Corner - I agree, good food, very pleasant, sincere personnel, which are two more improtant fators. Restaurant itself does not look like much, I prefer sitting out in the summer.

Last edited by MeaningIntheMeanwhile; 10-07-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 11:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
The cookery on Dobbs Ferry is delicious... tomatillo is also good... Casual though... calcutta Wrap and roll is great for takeout indian. Their Tika Masala is yummy... harvest! on Hudson is amazing and great views... Try it for luch during the week... They have a prix fixe menu that is worth every penny and wont break the bank... I honestly love so many...

Add more to the list
+10 for Calcutta Wrap and Roll in Ardsley. We live in Dobbs Ferry and usually cook at home (Indian/American family) but Calcutta is our go-to place for convenient, home style Indian food that is both inexpensive and delicious. It's a small takeout place, not a luxe restaurant, but the food fully makes up for the lack of space and the service is excellent. I recommend actually sitting down and eating there if you can get a table, because - like most Indian food - the best taste is when it is served fresh. Bonus is the free chai on offer.

Another favorite of ours is Masala Kraft in Hartsdale, the menu is vegetarian and the cuisine is more heavily weighted toward South Indian fare (dosa, idly, vada etc), and slightly more expensive, but we've found it to be a nice home-style and tasty option.

If you're open to spending more money on Indian food in Westchester, Chutney Masala in Irvington was decent, and offers a more upscale dining experience (and plenty of parking). It's also right next to the train station, which is convenient. The cuisine is sort of a mix of your typical Indian dishes and some of the British-ized dishes like Vindaloo, Jalfrezi etc.

The above restaurants are really my only recommendations in the Westchester Indian food category. We've tried a couple other places (Royal Palace in White Plains, Mumbai Spices and Valley Bistro in Yonkers) but found that all were overpriced at best. At worst, the food was a combination of bland/oily and just not fresh.

In other cuisine categories, I've tried Tomatillo in Dobbs Ferry, which was decent and the ambiance cozy.
Shiraz in Elmsford (Persian) was also tasty, but it's the kind of place where, given the prices, you might prefer the eat-in experience rather than takeout.
My elderly mother loved Sam's Italian in Dobbs Ferry, the atmosphere is kind of old-school, sit-down tablecloth place, but they have a carry-out annex, if you're not into that sort of thing.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Tarry Lodge in Port Chester - The best pasta I've had in Westchester personally. It's owned by Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich if you're into that. I love the Batali restaurants in the city and this is on par.

Sushi Nanase in White Plains - The most purist sushi place I could find in Westchester, and it's pretty darn good. Way better than "asian fusion" sushi, and meets the quality of Nobu but at a slightly better price.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Tarry Lodge in Port Chester - The best pasta I've had in Westchester personally. It's owned by Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich if you're into that. I love the Batali restaurants in the city and this is on par.

Sushi Nanase in White Plains - The most purist sushi place I could find in Westchester, and it's pretty darn good. Way better than "asian fusion" sushi, and meets the quality of Nobu but at a slightly better price.
Oh yea Nanase. Such a low-profile place in an odd and unprepossessing location. But sushi non-pareil. And the chef is a bit of a soup-Nazi type, which makes it even more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County