Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 12:56 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times

Advertisements

I live in Manhattan currently and I'm going broke. I want to live in Westchester and commute to where I work in a lab (at city college) on Metro North (Take the hudson line to Marble Hill then change to the 1 train).

I was thinking of living in Yonkers. Is the "near the train station" area of Yonkers safe/is it laid out well for walking? Or Ludlow? Or pretty much any other town (ones with apartments near the train)?

Are the train station-vicinity areas expensive enough that I may as well stay in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 04:33 AM

65 posts, read 77,803 times
If you would like the benefits of living in Yonkers while being walkable to train, look in the area of the Crestwood metro north station NOT the Yonkers station. The Crestwood neighborhood is in Yonkers, is residential and very safe to walk around at all hours. That train station is also walkable from TuchHoe and Eastchrster. The Yonkers station is not in a residential area (except for some apartments on the water). If you prefer the Hudson line id look further up ... Hastings on hudson and north.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Why pay extra money to Metro-North? Get a place in the Bronx:

Norwood Apartments for Rent | StreetEasy

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-04-2016, 02:16 PM

195 posts, read 297,192 times
If you aren't worried about schools, definitely consider the Bronx.
The North East Bronx is safe and has plenty of subway/express bus lines
Pelham Bay, Pelham Gardens, and Country Club are good places to start

Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I live in Manhattan currently and I'm going broke. I want to live in Westchester and commute to where I work in a lab (at city college) on Metro North (Take the hudson line to Marble Hill then change to the 1 train).

I was thinking of living in Yonkers. Is the "near the train station" area of Yonkers safe/is it laid out well for walking? Or Ludlow? Or pretty much any other town (ones with apartments near the train)?

Are the train station-vicinity areas expensive enough that I may as well stay in Manhattan?
Greystone and north are safer.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM

The whole point is to easily get to CCNY, which is why I want to be by the hudson line or 1 train. The AC and BD are kind of close, but the 1 would be a lit better. If I was in the northeastern bronx it would be a real hassle. I woukd have to live in riverdale or something.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:09 PM

175 posts, read 422,058 times
It's a shame that Yonkers along the Hudson Line isn't a better option for walk-to-train commuters. This might change some day if they're smart about redevelopment, but right now none of the train-adjacent areas are both safe and walkable. Partly this is because of the topography (Yonkers is STEEP, which limits walkability), partly it's how the areas are developed. Greystone is the nicest and safest of the Hudson Line stations, but there are literally no businesses there (not even a bodega or pizzeria), so you have to use a car for shopping and entertainment.

All of the river towns past Yonkers are safe and walkable, but the rental market is tight enough that you probably won't save that much money -- "walkable with Westchester schools" is a hot combination right now. Maybe in Ossining or Peekskill, but by that point what you save in rent might be balanced out by the cost of the Metro-North ticket. And since you need a Hudson Line train, that rules out a lot of places, like northeast Yonkers, New Roc and Port Chester, that would otherwise be options.

Like other posters have said, the best option for your particular situation is to look in the Bronx. It's not like Kingsbridge/Riverdale is a bad place to live, and if you're willing to take a bus to the train, that would open up a lot of additional options -- you could live in Pelham Bay or Morris Park, take the Bx12 select bus and transfer to the 1 in Washington Heights.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:10 PM

I'd be happy to take the bus to the train if it meant I was living in the nice (up the hill) part of riverdale, but I probably couldnt afford it. If it was somewhere like kingsbridge or morrisania, I would be less willing to do it

Edit: I think I mixed up kingsbridge with highbridge, oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County