Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 PM

263 posts, read 343,889 times

Advertisements

We are in lower westchester and the husband is running the NYC marathon. This is his first time running it since we moved. We want to know if you would drive? Shuttle? metro North? Im sure there are dozens of people who run it and live in Westchester... What do you recommendfor him?

Also, i will go watch him w the kids later that day, so same question for me but im heading there w kids!!! Yikes!!!

Any tips appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
We are in lower westchester and the husband is running the NYC marathon. This is his first time running it since we moved. We want to know if you would drive? Shuttle? metro North? Im sure there are dozens of people who run it and live in Westchester... What do you recommendfor him?

Also, i will go watch him w the kids later that day, so same question for me but im heading there w kids!!! Yikes!!!

Any tips appreciated!
For getting to Staten Island that morning, drive. Its going to add hours to go any other way.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM

57 posts, read 91,668 times
I would take Metro North into GCT and then subway downtown. He can get one of the pre-arranged ferry slots through NYRR to Staten Island.

For you, drive but park uptown on the west side (possibly use HH Parkway). Anything on the east side will mean navigating street closures. Not sure if crosstown buses run during the street closures, so be prepared to walk. Depending on how old your kids are, you could catch your husband in multiple spots, i.e. headed north on First Ave around the 18 mile mark and then south on Fifth Ave around 23 miles. You could walk between the two before he would get around. Believe me, having family or friends cheering you on at those spots is huge for someone running a marathon.

Central Park finish will be jammers - so unless you get their early and wait around for hours, forget it. Arrange to meet your husband somewhere close to the finish but away from the park, Broadway & 70th for example. If you've seen him come down Fifth Ave around mile 23, you can walk through the park and meet him on the other side. It's going to take him some time to get through the finish area, grab his gear bag and make it to your meeting point.

The maps for the course and finish area will help you find good locations: Race Day | TCS New York City Marathon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County