U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,223 times

Advertisements

Hello considering moving to nyc well the suburbs from Vegas. Looking for safe and affordableish areas if possible.
Will commute to Manhattan for work at my startup. Any ideas myself bf and our 2 toddlers ?
Is Peekskill nice or Pelham ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,090,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpoet View Post
Hello considering moving to nyc well the suburbs from Vegas. Looking for safe and affordableish areas if possible.
Will commute to Manhattan for work at my startup. Any ideas myself bf and our 2 toddlers ?
Is Peekskill nice or Pelham ?
Peekskill schools are overcrowded and not considered strong. The town itself has very high taxes considering how poorly thought of the schools are, so I think there is better bang for your tax dollar elsewhere. That said, I LOVE Peekskill. Its the most diverse area of northern westchester. My son plays in Peekskill's youth football league and his closest friends are there. There are good families with great values and a strong sense neighborhood. There are some poor sections with crime and drugs, but any heavily populated area has these things. Peekskill is a city, and as such it brings some urban problems that happen with overcrowding. But it has some amazing restaurants and live music, great shopping, a wonderful farmers market, antique shops, artists and the Paramount, which is an amazing venue. You have to balance the good with the bad and all the different characteristics to decide what you want. If you want to live in a suburb with mostly white soccer moms, peekskill is not for you. If you are looking for a racially mixed area with lots of different neighborhoods each with its own feeling, then it can be a jewel. Also, if you are thinking of your home as a financial investment, Peekskill's housing market has been stagnant for decades, it has not seen the values bounce back like other areas and it is not thought of as a place with a lot of opportunities for huge gains in housing prices. If you just want a nice place to live, it can be great. But if you want to flip in a few years, its probably not the best choice. With the toddlers, you should know that the schools are not great. You might want to look at Cortlandt Manor, just outside of Peekskill, which is still affordable, is in the Lakeland, Croton or Henrick Hudson schools, and is pretty affordable. You can still get to Peekskill for the lifestyle, but the schools are thought to be better. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:57 PM

I'm blk n bf is white so diversity is cool with us.
We would be renting in the area and hopefully be ready to buy somewhere better in a few years before they hit school age. What is commute time from there or Cortlandt? Is it less crime in Cortlandt ?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:16 PM

418 posts, read 379,127 times
What are you looking to spend? Peekskill is alright. I personally would not want my kids to grow up there, but it would probably be okay for now before they hit school age.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I'm blk n bf is white so diversity is cool with us.
We would be renting in the area and hopefully be ready to buy somewhere better in a few years before they hit school age. What is commute time from there or Cortlandt? Is it less crime in Cortlandt ?
The train from peekskill to grand central is an hour. Cortlandt has a station one stop close, so its maybe 5 minutes faster from the Cortlandt station.

There is certainly less crime in Cortlandt, because its a much more rural town. It has larger lots with lots of acre lot homes and more space between neighbors. Its not walkable though, other than a few areas. Its much more racially mixed than other areas, but certainly no where near what Peekskill offers. Its a big spread out town. Better schools, but still affordable taxes. Rent something in Peekskill and look around while you shop to buy. I love northern westchester. Lots of great areas.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:53 AM

It will be a while 2 years likely until we're ready to buy 😕

Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It will be a while 2 years likely until we're ready to buy 😕
Not sure what your budget is, but this place is in a very nice section of town.
31 Mackellar Court | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County