U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2016, 02:25 PM
 
Location: New York
1,170 posts, read 746,227 times
Reputation: 2941

Advertisements

OP, have you considered Hartsdale? I suggest it because the main town area is very walkable (flatter than the rivertowns and the station is centrally located on the main street). Additionally, you may find homes closer to your price range due to Hartsdale's perceived lower-rated schools. The town is on the Harlem line, and would be around 35-40 mins to GCT (guesstimate, based on my own commute from nearby Dobbs Ferry).

Obviously, it depends where a 'top' school district falls in your list of priorities (again, ranked nationally it's still very high), but Hartsdale is a nice little village and may fit your criteria and price range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 AM
 
9 posts, read 26,159 times
Reputation: 15
Did you consider Eastchester? My criteria and situation is exactly the same and we signed tge contract last month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 09:46 AM
 
10 posts, read 40,138 times
Reputation: 14
We've also considered Noroton and Cos Cob as well as central Greenwich - we have found a couple possibilities in Noroton since as you say we can afford to pay slightly more for the house in CT given the tax differences. I do still have family in CT but they're north and east (Redding and Weston area - some do the commute but for us way too far, otherwise we'd love to look there).

Sadly, there's really nothing in Cos Cob (not to mention Riverside/Old Greenwich) where you can get a livable 3 bed/2 bath for under $800k. Our realtor showed us a total fixer upper listed at $740 that would require at least $200k to renovate and likely more, and mentioned most similar homes in the area that have already been fixed up go for $1 million. We could maybe get a condo further from the main street and train, or we could look to Byram, but then the elementary schools there aren't great.

For the person who mentioned Hartsdale - the schools aren't what we're looking for unless we buy in Ardsley schools and if we did that, we'd be far from any train station.


Eastchester - just didn't appeal to us and so small, inventory there is always going to be low.

To sum up - we're still going to look in Pleasantville and the Rivertowns, and also in Noroton, come spring. Probably focusing most on Pleasantville and Noroton. If anyone has any thoughts on big differences between Pleasantville and Darien, or if they're pretty similar, would welcome it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM
 
811 posts, read 826,148 times
Reputation: 516
Yea, although more affordable I would avoid Byram if schools are one of your primary concerns (currently some issues and uncertainty regarding elementary/middle). Seems like the secret on Cos Cob is finally out (with the ship on Riverside/OG long sailed as well).

You really can't go wrong with either Pleasantville or Noroton (Darien). Schools in both are top-notch, with Pleasantville district being smaller than Darien (however Darien's district is quite small by CT standards). Parents very involved in both districts. Both have attractive walkable downtowns with easy train access to the city (edge in commute time from Pleasantville I believe). In Darien, check out the Noroton Heights and downtown redevelopment plans for a feel where the town is going. Your Downtown Darien CT

Pleasantville probably leans more artsy (the Burns film center) and progressive, whereas Darien leans more conservative (fiscally)/Wall St [Darien's tax rate reflects this thankfully]. A huge plus for Noroton would be coastal beach-access, of which residents have access to two very nice (albeit small) beaches and a boat club; although Pleasantville is land-locked it has access to great hiking/outdoor activities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 PM
 
10 posts, read 40,138 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Yea, although more affordable I would avoid Byram if schools are one of your primary concerns (currently some issues and uncertainty regarding elementary/middle). Seems like the secret on Cos Cob is finally out (with the ship on Riverside/OG long sailed as well).

You really can't go wrong with either Pleasantville or Noroton (Darien). Schools in both are top-notch, with Pleasantville district being smaller than Darien (however Darien's district is quite small by CT standards). Parents very involved in both districts. Both have attractive walkable downtowns with easy train access to the city (edge in commute time from Pleasantville I believe). In Darien, check out the Noroton Heights and downtown redevelopment plans for a feel where the town is going. Your Downtown Darien CT

Pleasantville probably leans more artsy (the Burns film center) and progressive, whereas Darien leans more conservative (fiscally)/Wall St [Darien's tax rate reflects this thankfully]. A huge plus for Noroton would be coastal beach-access, of which residents have access to two very nice (albeit small) beaches and a boat club; although Pleasantville is land-locked it has access to great hiking/outdoor activities.

Thanks for this information. I plan to be a SAHM when the baby arrives and my husband will be commuting to Manhattan, and we both want a tolerable commute but also to be far enough from the madding crowds that we have nature around - whether that's the beach or hiking is all good, pros for each. We not only are priced out of Southern Westchester when you combine house price and taxes, but didn't really like most of it, so these two towns seem to be our targets. The schools are major, as is the walkable downtown, and hopefully a 90 minute or less commute (he will take Metro North to GCT and his subway ride is about 15 minutes on one line + 5 mins walk to the door of his office)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,685 times
Reputation: 15
You should really consider Croton-on Hudson. It's under 50 minutes to GCT and within your budget. My friends just bought a place within walking distance of the high school, 5 minutes drive from the train, and under $600K. There will be more available in the spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: nyc
69 posts, read 100,962 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstandke View Post
You should really consider Croton-on Hudson. It's under 50 minutes to GCT and within your budget. My friends just bought a place within walking distance of the high school, 5 minutes drive from the train, and under $600K. There will be more available in the spring.
I second this.

We live within very decent walking distance to the train, and we can also easily walk to the strip of eateries and such on Riverside. There are lovely parks for play, walking, winter skating, and swimming at Silver Lake all within short walking distance if you stick to the Harmon section.

We can and do walk to the main downtown, but anyone not inclined to such things may find it too hilly or far. I even use a cargo bike (pedal assisted thankfully) to get all my groceries and errands around town.

It really is a lovely place for peace ad night space while having a decent city commute. The prices are better than the options presented upthread too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
 
10 posts, read 40,138 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba!ny View Post
I second this.

We live within very decent walking distance to the train, and we can also easily walk to the strip of eateries and such on Riverside. There are lovely parks for play, walking, winter skating, and swimming at Silver Lake all within short walking distance if you stick to the Harmon section.

We can and do walk to the main downtown, but anyone not inclined to such things may find it too hilly or far. I even use a cargo bike (pedal assisted thankfully) to get all my groceries and errands around town.

It really is a lovely place for peace ad night space while having a decent city commute. The prices are better than the options presented upthread too.

Croton was in the mix for us initially but there seems to be less of a "town" area, which even if it's not where you do your big box shopping, is something we'd both like to have. I always liked to visit friends in Ridgefield/New Canaan/Westport in CT and have the town to walk around in and have lunch, etc. Not a deal breaker of course but the other factor was in Croton, nothing seemed truly walking to the train due to the station location. It could be a quick drive, but still means driving there, necessitating a second car, which we could avoid for a good 5+ years if my husband can walk to the train station (under 1 mile).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top