Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 PM

116 posts, read 175,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A potential job offer has manifested which would mean splitting time between Mount Vernon and Yonkers.
I would not want to live in either of those places from what I have read. I am looking for suggestions of towns with a shortish commute... we are an older couple , no children , a single family home with some yard ... but can't break the bank because we will not be selling our current Florida home. I'm guessing in the 500,000 range...any ideas would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,284 times
Greenwich (near the border of Portchester)

20-30 minute drive to Mt Vernon/Yonkers (or take the train)
Cheaper Property Taxes but 500K will be a bit tight in options.

Another option would be White Plains or Elmsford both which have lower taxes.

I keep focusing on taxes mainly because you don't have children and the Westchester Taxes are terrible.

You can also rent a house instead of buying

Old 11-23-2016, 03:19 PM

195 posts, read 297,239 times
If you don't have to worry about the schools, New Rochelle or White Plains could fit the bill. Short-ish commute while still being pleasant areas to live in.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
If you are not worried about schools, both Mount Vernon and Yonkers have fine, pleasant neighborhoods with low crime. You can be in either city with a walking distance to Bronxville's downtown, one of the most lauded neighborhoods in the county as opposed to the hell holes described in "what you have read".

Your $500k will go way further as well.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 PM

71 posts, read 133,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you are not worried about schools, both Mount Vernon and Yonkers have fine, pleasant neighborhoods with low crime. You can be in either city with a walking distance to Bronxville's downtown, one of the most lauded neighborhoods in the county as opposed to the hell holes described in "what you have read".

Your $500k will go way further as well.
If you live in Yonkers, you pay a city income tax there -- a big negative.

As an earlier poster said, I would recommend White Plains or New Rochelle. Both are small cities with lots of ammenities and housing options. New Rochelle is closer to Yonkers and Mount Vernon, but White Plains might give you more options on both housing and ammenities.

I would not suggest Greenwich (as someone else did above) -- yes, taxes are lower but the upfront housing costs are very high, I don't think $500K would go very far at all, particularly if you want a house with a small yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County