U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 AM

945 posts, read 955,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Are YOU serious? If I come on here looking for a recommendation for a fancy restaurant for a date in lower Westchester, near Pelham say, and you answer well, I don't know anything near there but there's this awesome family restaurant in Chappaqua that you should check out, how is that helpful? I'm all for sharing information, but it becomes pointless to ask questions in the forum if people aren't going to answer your specific question. Makes me think someone didn't read the OP. If, while reading a post, you think of something related that you really want to recommend, start your own thread!
I am VERY serious. When I talk to a person, if they ask me a question, I give them information. Sometimes i does not answer their question directly, but it may give that person something new to consider. On a forum such as this, it is even more important.

If you do not think telling a person about a nice place to eat in Chappaqua is helpful to a person looking for a place in lower westchester, well you and I are very different people. It is a great answer. If the place sounds nice enough, I may take an extra 20 minute drive north. Likewise, if I like a cabinet place enough, I might delay to get them. More information is never a bad thing.

Anyway, my original point stands, type what you think is best to assist a poster. I think in this case the poster liked all the feedback and it can help others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 01:01 AM

108 posts, read 220,566 times
Relax - you are are talking about cabinets and not restaurants. I would estimate almost 99% of cabinets sold in the Tri state are made elsewhere and are sold through resellers. Either you are getting custom cabinets are are replacing exactly what you have already or are able to work with stock cabinet sizes.

Your next decision is to have someone design your custom layout or try to fit stock cabinets into your existing space. The design process is the biggest hurdle then followed by keeping the price within your budget

Crown Point deals direct with the customer - no middle man - this should in effect lower the overall cost. I also appreciated having the benefit of professional "in house" kitchen designers as your sales person at CP

This was the first kitchen remodel (hopefully the last) I went through. I was not impressed with any of the places we went to for estimates. I initially went with a local business, a kitchen designer who sold cabinets from 3 companies.

I had to pay him $1000 to design our kitchen and get a quote. He did a nice job and the layout was fantastic. He then submitted his design to Signature Cabinets- another well respected company.

The problem was the initial quote was extremely really high. I tried to understand what changes could be made in order to adjust the price. He had to redraw the plans, submit them to Signature and wait. This is where the we felt it was now becoming a problem controlling cost and when I pitched the idea of checking out CP

My wife jumped at the chance of a nice fall getaway and actually see the cabinets up close, while giving us some time to think about our Signature order.

After our visit we moved forward I ended paying a small design fee of approximately $300 (refundable upon an order) to have CP take my kitchen design with Signature and for them to come up with a new quote. This was all done from memory since the designer owned the original designs and would not release them to anyone else except the cabinet co.

This new quote not only came in cheaper, it was in a spreadsheet, clearly listing every item, with its price. This was so different compared to just a single number quote I was getting from most places.

Using the spreadsheet allowed us to question each item, and make changes that drove down prices while still getting everything we wanted in our kitchen

The initial $1000 deposit that my first kitchen designer was paid was lost, but justified in my mind of steering us to the final design that CP ran with.

Our timetable was as follows:

Last Weekend in Oct - call CP - initial phone call
1st week in November - Visit Crown Point in NH
3rd Week in November - Decide to pay for quote and initial kitchen design
2nd Week in December - initial deposit(25%) to get cabinet design moving forward
2nd week in February - second 25% deposit to start production
1st week in April - delivery

We took our time selecting our final appliances choices which affected our final design approval. CP had a 6-8 week production schedule from the time they received a final approved kitchen design to delivery.

I timed this to a first week of April delivery- which worked out perfectly as I wanted the remodel to start in the spring.

I also made a very late, bold design change to our range hood that eliminated 2 small cabs in favor of a huge range hood that looks like a fireplace mantle. It was iffy on paper for the size of our kitchen but came out great in the end. The space lost with these cabs was found by increasing deeper cabinets on the same wall while saving us another couple of grand. Win Win !!! This design element ties into the same mantles in our den and living Room that now can be seen with the new remodel by opening up the existing closed walls.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:04 AM

Here are the cabinets

Cabinets Delivered Today

Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 PM

343 posts, read 268,571 times
Bagpiper- those cabinets are gorgeous- congrats! I checked out the website and think they are a bit out of my price range. Website states the "average" price for cabinets is 30-40k and lead time could be up to 3 months. Need cabinets within a month or so and I am def looking to spend a lot less than that. I do not think I have the budget for custom cabinets, maybe a few semi-custom, but trying to keep the costs low. But, I thank you for the suggestion. Any other recommendations locally? Tri-state area? Thanks!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the compliment on the cabinets- it was a long process from finding a company to completion of the remodel (kitchen ++)

Your best bet is to go and visit the forums where my cabinet post were, gardenweb kitchen forums

I spent a great deal of time there reading posts, seeking advice and opinions on my design choices

In your case you can get opinions of buyers of cabinet companies doing business in your area, both current and past experiences.

If your replacing stock cabinets you have many options, get your measurements in order, set a budget and hit any of the local shops. If your not worried about longevity, budget and turnaround sound like your biggest concerns.

I googled cabinets in White Plains - A few companies came up - you will need to visit those places and see their products and find out what is in stock. Go to places like Ikea, Kitchen Depot, Costco, Home Depot, etc and compare inventory and prices. There always online retailers that will ship your cabinets out tomorrow. if your flipping a home for a quick sale then that could be a solution as well.

Like I mentioned before, members of gardenweb would have the most recent info and it is a large community- once you locate a cabinet reseller you can seek some feedback.

Keep in mind you could always get a custom piece as a focal point and build the stock cabinets around that.

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM

343 posts, read 268,571 times
Thanks bagpiper. I appreciate all the advice and info. Going to check out gardenweb now! thx again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County