U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2016, 06:56 PM
 
343 posts, read 269,371 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

Hi! Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to purchase kitchen cabinets? I do not have a great deal of time, so trying to just get a couple of estimates. Do you think the smaller places are way more expensive than Home Depot/big box stores? Thanks! Looking for places in tri-state area (pref near lower Westchester).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 PM
 
Location: NY
195 posts, read 230,224 times
Reputation: 244
I know it's not local, but IKEA all the way. I've redone my kitchen twice - the first time with moderately expensive cabinets from home depot and the second time ten years later after a pipe burst and we had to gut the kitchen. The second time I used IKEA - it was a third of the price of my first cabinets and I still have zero issues with them 7 years later. I'll take the trip again when I'm ready to do my new kitchen next year!
(Jego if you want pics I'll pm you some!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 AM
 
5,674 posts, read 6,471,572 times
Reputation: 3278
It strongly depends on the kind of cabinet you need. The small shops represent different manufacturers, some of them upscale. The project has two parts: first is the selection of cabinets model and the other is the installation. Both are important.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2016, 02:21 PM
 
948 posts, read 957,962 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Hi! Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to purchase kitchen cabinets? I do not have a great deal of time, so trying to just get a couple of estimates. Do you think the smaller places are way more expensive than Home Depot/big box stores? Thanks! Looking for places in tri-state area (pref near lower Westchester).
So cabinets are a strange business. First off, understand that they are usually the most expensive portion of a kitchen renovation. There are different levels set at different pricing points. To be hones,t I do not find there is very much difference between the high end and mid range brands in terms of quality, but the cheap brands you can tell from the touch and feel.

I know of a few families that have used on online retailer of mid-range cabinets to save some money. Shop Online - Kitchen Cabinets | Cabinets.com
It is a mid-range product, but can save 20% against similar products in a physical store.

Good luck. Find someone you like to talk with, get designs and compare different options. Tell the person up front that you are shopping around and they will have to work to earn your sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 PM
 
108 posts, read 220,731 times
Reputation: 118
After a great deal of shopping for new cabs we purchased from Crown Point in NH. A couple of things steered us to them,

1) Custom Cabs - we didn't want stock cabs - we have a smaller kitchen and wanted to maximize every inch and custom was the way to go

2) We plan on staying in our home for a very long time and only wanted to do the kitchen remodel once. The existing Ikea cabs (8 years old?) were made of pressboard and were falling apart and collapsing.

3) Local "Made in NH" - we travelled to NH from NY for a private Saturday afternoon tour of their factory. The salesperson came in on her day off and gave is a personal tour when the whole place was closed. Even if we didn't buy these cabs, we really enjoyed the weekend and learned a bit more about the process.

Take the ride and see the cabinets firsthand, get some excellent design ideas, and take advantage of special discounts at a local hotel.

4) Excellent reputation

5) Complete control of design process and costs

6) direct sales - no middle men.

7) we selected a hand painted finish from Farrow and Ball paint, from England. The colors are great and we used that brand on our walls. This is the only paint I haven't gotten tired of because the limited color palette work so well even after several years.

I like be able to use F&B paint to refresh the cabinetry finish

If you are going with Ikea - expect a shorter life span. If your budget allows custom cabinets- Crown Point is in a league in itself. The cabinets will last for decades and not fall apart after a few years. These things are overbuilt.

As far as price - they aren't cheap, but in my case we cancelled a order from another prominent cab co and lost our deposit.

What I lost was regained in a final lower cost

The savings were realized from the flexibility in the design process and pricing explanation.

With Crown Point, you get assigned an in house designer who will work directly with you, and for a reasonable fee design and price you kitchen

Before going to CP, i had a design all set to go which I used for my quote which still came out to less expensive then my first cab co.

I quickly learned how to save money by using their design process

Below are fictitious numbers but represent what actually happened to my order

My first design had a section with 3 cabinets with a pull out drawer and single large door on the bottom i.e. 3 cabs x $1500 = $4500

I learned I could convert 2 of those cabs into one long 1 cabinet and swap out the 2 doors for 4 wide deep drawers and two normal drawers on on top

This adjusted the price to $1500 (small cab) and $2000 for wide cab for a total of $3500 - saving $1000

This change not only saved us money, we got a more desirable design upgrade of deep drawers and the wide cabinet looks like fine furniture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Harrison
826 posts, read 2,149,412 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
After a great deal of shopping for new cabs we purchased from Crown Point in NH. A couple of things steered us to them,

1) Custom Cabs - we didn't want stock cabs - we have a smaller kitchen and wanted to maximize every inch and custom was the way to go

2) We plan on staying in our home for a very long time and only wanted to do the kitchen remodel once. The existing Ikea cabs (8 years old?) were made of pressboard and were falling apart and collapsing.

3) Local "Made in NH" - we travelled to NH from NY for a private Saturday afternoon tour of their factory. The salesperson came in on her day off and gave is a personal tour when the whole place was closed. Even if we didn't buy these cabs, we really enjoyed the weekend and learned a bit more about the process.

Take the ride and see the cabinets firsthand, get some excellent design ideas, and take advantage of special discounts at a local hotel.

4) Excellent reputation

5) Complete control of design process and costs

6) direct sales - no middle men.

7) we selected a hand painted finish from Farrow and Ball paint, from England. The colors are great and we used that brand on our walls. This is the only paint I haven't gotten tired of because the limited color palette work so well even after several years.

I like be able to use F&B paint to refresh the cabinetry finish

If you are going with Ikea - expect a shorter life span. If your budget allows custom cabinets- Crown Point is in a league in itself. The cabinets will last for decades and not fall apart after a few years. These things are overbuilt.

As far as price - they aren't cheap, but in my case we cancelled a order from another prominent cab co and lost our deposit.

What I lost was regained in a final lower cost

The savings were realized from the flexibility in the design process and pricing explanation.

With Crown Point, you get assigned an in house designer who will work directly with you, and for a reasonable fee design and price you kitchen

Before going to CP, i had a design all set to go which I used for my quote which still came out to less expensive then my first cab co.

I quickly learned how to save money by using their design process

Below are fictitious numbers but represent what actually happened to my order

My first design had a section with 3 cabinets with a pull out drawer and single large door on the bottom i.e. 3 cabs x $1500 = $4500

I learned I could convert 2 of those cabs into one long 1 cabinet and swap out the 2 doors for 4 wide deep drawers and two normal drawers on on top

This adjusted the price to $1500 (small cab) and $2000 for wide cab for a total of $3500 - saving $1000

This change not only saved us money, we got a more desirable design upgrade of deep drawers and the wide cabinet looks like fine furniture.
The OP said he doesn't have a lot of time and wants something near lower Westchester!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 04:01 PM
 
108 posts, read 220,731 times
Reputation: 118
I know nothing of the OP or their budget - just providing my experiences for all to read. Having the knowledge of my kitchen remodel, I would have gone straight to CP

It would have saved me countless hours visiting Ikea, the big box stores , and kitchen remodel centers, comparing cabinets, trying to get realistic quotes

I would have preferred to get my initial quote done over the phone, browsed their product line over the web, have a sample door/cab made for me in my door design, trim and finish.

I mention this company because IF the OP is looking at custom cabs - the process saved me a lot of time and headaches. Look - call - qet some basic pricing - if it works then move forward over the phone. No travel - No Lines - smooth process. Far more control designing and pricing then I found elsewhere.

As far as local - I found no benefit of going to Ikea or Home Depot and working with someone who was not that experienced or could not answer basic questions I had. No time saving for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:08 AM
 
948 posts, read 957,962 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
The OP said he doesn't have a lot of time and wants something near lower Westchester!!!
Seriously? Do you think this forum is about providing an answer to ONLY the original poster. I do not, so I am curious. I found this place looking at post that were between 2 and 5 years past the OP date about contractors. This is a place to share information. Even if it might not be exactly what the OP asked for, it might help the dozen of other readers who find this place with search engines. I encourage people to post any response on the topic and let the OP decide if it is useful to them and let other gain from the experiences shared.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM
 
343 posts, read 269,371 times
Reputation: 169
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Will def check into both options mentioned. I did get pricing from Home Depot and a more upscale kitchen design center. Quotes were similar. Bagpiper- how long did it take for the cabinets to arrive from when you ordered? Strangelove- will look into ordering online. Thanks again for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2016, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Harrison
826 posts, read 2,149,412 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Seriously? Do you think this forum is about providing an answer to ONLY the original poster. I do not, so I am curious. I found this place looking at post that were between 2 and 5 years past the OP date about contractors. This is a place to share information. Even if it might not be exactly what the OP asked for, it might help the dozen of other readers who find this place with search engines. I encourage people to post any response on the topic and let the OP decide if it is useful to them and let other gain from the experiences shared.
Are YOU serious? If I come on here looking for a recommendation for a fancy restaurant for a date in lower Westchester, near Pelham say, and you answer well, I don't know anything near there but there's this awesome family restaurant in Chappaqua that you should check out, how is that helpful? I'm all for sharing information, but it becomes pointless to ask questions in the forum if people aren't going to answer your specific question. Makes me think someone didn't read the OP. If, while reading a post, you think of something related that you really want to recommend, start your own thread!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top