Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:11 PM

263 posts, read 344,122 times

Advertisements

I agree living in Westchester on less than $300k would be difficult.... when we first moved, my husband left his job. we spent 7 months on my income alone and it was tight tight...

but - much of it due to the house we decided to buy. I do think there is a way of controlling your costs. the most important decision is how much do you want to spend in housing, because that dictates your disposable income...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:28 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
I agree living in Westchester on less than $300k would be difficult.... when we first moved, my husband left his job. we spent 7 months on my income alone and it was tight tight...

but - much of it due to the house we decided to buy. I do think there is a way of controlling your costs. the most important decision is how much do you want to spend in housing, because that dictates your disposable income...
agreed. and if you look at housing stock, most probably would want to spend ~$500K at least to get into something that's not a complete fixer-upper.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:41 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
To put it in perspective, the median Household income for Westchester county is less than $85,000/year.

That still makes it the second wealthiest county, after Manhattan (New York county) in the state.

By the $300,000/year standard, the vast majority of people in Westchester are not only not living "well" they are less they 25% of the 'good living' cutoff.
Yeah, Westchester has the 5th highest median household income by county in the state: New York Median Household Income County Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

It is likely one of the highest in country as well. So, if someone is making $300,000 in Westchester County, they are well above the median household income anywhere in the country.

In fact, there is only one area out of 868 metro/micro areas in the US that has a 6 figure median household income(Los Alamos NM). U.S. Median Household Income Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

This is 2010-2014 information, but I believe that 2011-2015 information isn't that much different.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM

222 posts, read 540,852 times
These median income measures are always skewed by retirees and younger residents in apartments. I'd imagine the median income of people in Westchester who live (1) in a private house and (2) outside of a few neighborhoods in Yonkers, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, Portchester, and Ossining is in the 300k neighborhood.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
These median income measures are always skewed by retirees and younger residents in apartments. I'd imagine the median income of people in Westchester who live (1) in a private house and (2) outside of a few neighborhoods in Yonkers, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, Portchester, and Ossining is in the 300k neighborhood.
Also bringing down the average are Bronxville with a median household income of $144,000, Scarsdale at $182,000, and Pound Ridge at $183,000. All these ghetto villages are making the good people of Westchester look bad.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Also bringing down the average are Bronxville with a median household income of $144,000, Scarsdale at $182,000, and Pound Ridge at $183,000. All these ghetto villages are making the good people of Westchester look bad.
Exactly, as median household income includes every household. Yup, comin' straight outta Scarsdale: Scarsdale Union Free School District - USA.com™

The Boogie Down Bronxville: Bronxville Union Free School District - USA.com™

Edgy Edgmont: Edgemont Union Free School District - USA.com™

Strong arm ya' Ardsley: Ardsley Union Free School District - USA.com™

Rowdy Rye: Rye City School District - USA.com™

Seriously though, here are some others: Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District - USA.com™

Irvington Union Free School District - USA.com™

Briarcliff Manor Union Free School District - USA.com™

Chappaqua Central School District - USA.com™

Croton-Harmon Union Free School District - USA.com™

Byram Hills Central School District - USA.com™

Pleasantville Union Free School District - USA.com™

Pelham Union Free School District - USA.com™

Hastings-on-Hudson Union Free School District - USA.com™

Old 01-27-2017, 02:52 PM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
it seems a struggle for a typical family of 4 to live "well" on a household income of less than $300K

for the most part, many of the commercial/big box store areas of Westchester (White Plains, Port Chester, Central Park Ave) are a disaster of paying to park, traffic and general frustration.

the housing stock and taxes are both atrocious.

the jobs, unless you want to do a daily commute into the rat race that is Manhattan, are few and far between.

so...why?

If you think the housing stock in Westchester is, as you say, atrocious. What do you consider a good housing stock?

Old 01-27-2017, 05:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

If you have lived elsewhere especially down south and now your looking at an aged housing stock much which is in need of updating, prices and taxes that make many stop and catch their breath then yes you would consider it atrocious.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:58 AM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

If you have lived elsewhere especially down south and now your looking at an aged housing stock much which is in need of updating, prices and taxes that make many stop and catch their breath then yes you would consider it atrocious.
It could very well be a cultural difference then. Many people up here tend to appreciate (and even seek out) older homes - the character, craftmanship, and history are a plus. Personally, an updated turn of the century or mid-century home is more attractive to me then a boiler-plate development new construction.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:27 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Yea but people who like Victorian houses and pre-war houses, of whom there are many and many well-heeled, would consider the bland generic soulless housing you are talking about as atrocious. Sure its utilitarian, but its atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County