Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times

Advertisements

it seems a struggle for a typical family of 4 to live "well" on a household income of less than $300K

for the most part, many of the commercial/big box store areas of Westchester (White Plains, Port Chester, Central Park Ave) are a disaster of paying to park, traffic and general frustration.

the housing stock and taxes are both atrocious.

the jobs, unless you want to do a daily commute into the rat race that is Manhattan, are few and far between.

so...why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 03:57 AM

9 posts, read 31,314 times
Schools. That's the only reason for me.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Dont forget one can do big box shopping in Palisades mall - i prefer going there than white plains. The housing stock might get better and more aligned with todays realities eventually. For ex, some areas like harrison are redeveloping main streets with newer apartments. Unfortunately these improvements take time. One can also look to northern westchester like Cortlandt, croton, Millbrook etc. where housing is cheaper.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 AM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
My opinion (and its only an opinion..)

I like living among successful career-driven people that value education and the arts, and tend to be more liberal minded. I like living in a metro area that also shares these characteristics.

Can I move down south and pay next to nothing in taxes? yes.

But what is that ultimately worth to me.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
To put it in perspective, the median Household income for Westchester county is less than $85,000/year.

That still makes it the second wealthiest county, after Manhattan (New York county) in the state.

By the $300,000/year standard, the vast majority of people in Westchester are not only not living "well" they are less they 25% of the 'good living' cutoff.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
The vast majority of households do not come close to making $300,000. Not everyone cares about a 3,000sf house on one acre. Many are happy in coops, condos, and smaller houses.

And with a $300,000 income, there are actually many northern communities where you can get that 3,000sf house on one acre. Scarsdale and Yorktown Heights might as well be on other planets.

PS - Scarsdale High School has lousy students that go to mediocre colleges. Yorktown HS (and just about every high school) has superstar students that go to the top colleges.

So tired of the myth of the "superior school."

Old 01-24-2017, 06:33 PM

562 posts, read 1,057,924 times
What do you mean about living "well"? We make far less than that, yet live comfortably and with no debt.

I echo Neil, plus my husband has a job that requires easy access to Westchester, NYC, and the surrounding counties.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
'Where do you live' is a relative term, because of course you have the option to rent or buy. The question seemed like it was framed towards buying, but there are many rental options available in Westchester which are competitively priced with other NYC metro areas (NJ, outer boroughs, CT, etc).

We moved because quality of life (nature, peace and quiet, commuting experience, space) was much better than our apartment in NJ/commute from NJ. We both work in Manhattan so need to be close by for that reason. And, as midwestern transplants, the totally urban lifestyle was undesirable, so most of NYC proper was out.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 PM

263 posts, read 343,889 times
we live here bc of a combination of elements. Having moved from Texas, I can tell you we enjoy the outdoors more here than there. The schools are great, the job is more challenging, career prospects are better, Europe is closer, the diversity of minds, people and walks of life is nurturing to us and our kids.

We go skiing on a weekend; we go to the beach; we go to the best museums; we go to a play in broadway; we chill by the fireplace; we see deer and, yes, foxes in our backyard; we talk politics with our neighbors! other than uber high taxes, what's not to like??

Old 01-26-2017, 10:27 AM

354 posts, read 775,585 times
Question for the people living here (with kids) comfortably that make less than $300,000: Do you save money? No hidden agenda to this question, I'm legitimately interested.

I feel I make a more than decent salary here, and don't live an extravagant life or live in an extravagant home. I even have relatively low property taxes. But it still feels like a struggle. After putting away a little money for retirement, a little money for two kids' college savings, and a bit in another savings account, the money seems to be gone. And if you want to send your kids to a nice camp or activity over the summer? Have a home improvement project you need to do? Forget it, you're practically done.

Curious how others feel about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County