Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Scarsdale with 2 small children and looking to move, primarily to avoid the high stress pressure cooker environment in the schools but also not feeling the overall vibe. I am looking for a significant Jewish population, easy commute to NYC, and am interested in Larchmont as it seems less uptight, more community feel, love the walkability. Is it that right? Is it very preppy?? Not really looking for super preppy waspy feel but I do like diversity and a Jewish community. Appreciate help Would like a nice town, good people, good quality of life, great schools. Does that exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 AM

276 posts, read 397,961 times
Larchmont and Mamaroneck are both good choices. We have many Jewish friends in Rye (Greenhaven) and Mamaroneck.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:30 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
Larchmont and Mamaroneck are both good choices. We have many Jewish friends in Rye (Greenhaven) and Mamaroneck.
I agree with both Larchmont and Mamaroneck. Great communities and great schools. We live in Rye Neck area of Mamaroneck. Considering the amount of Bar Mitzvahs and Bat Mitzvahs my 13 year old neighbor has attended so far this year, I would say you would have many Jewish neighbors.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,845 times
We made this exact move 5 years ago and don't regret it for a second. We LOVE Mamaroneck. Didn't like the vibe in Scarsdale either, although we met lovely people there. The feeling here is just more laid back, and everything you could need is so much closer (Scarsdale is kind of in the middle of nothing).

We have plenty of Jewish neighbors, it's a really good mix around here. If you have questions about Orienta feel free to PM me. We looked in Larchmont too but found the lots too small for our taste.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja222 View Post
Currently living in Scarsdale with 2 small children and looking to move, primarily to avoid the high stress pressure cooker environment in the schools but also not feeling the overall vibe.
Could someone give examples of how scarsdale schools are high stress pressure cooker environments? There have been many posts calling it as such, but im not quite sure how this is manifested in real life.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,788 times
I am in the market for a 1-2 Bdr Coop or Condo apartment anywhere in Westchester County along the side of MN Harlem Line. Single middle-aged gentlemen of Russian-Jewish descent, gainfully employed in Manhattan. No dogs, don’t smoke or drink. Promise to be a good neighbor. Please kindly recommend specific apartment buildings communities that would meet the following criteria.

Deal breakers
Walking distance to any MN Harlem Line station under .5 miles
Spacious rooms
Lower property taxes, translating into:
Lower price per sqft
Lower monthly HOA per sqft

Extra points for
Diversity and a Jewish community
Nice view
Tall (7+ floors) buildings
Bike roads
Indoor swimming pool in the community
Short driving distance to shopping plazas

Irrelevant
Waspy feel in the area
School districts

Old 02-06-2017, 12:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Could someone give examples of how scarsdale schools are high stress pressure cooker environments? There have been many posts calling it as such, but im not quite sure how this is manifested in real life.
Great question, but no one will answer it. Scarsdale (and select other schools) being "high stress pressure cooker environments" is one of the useless myths that is promulgated on this board, and in other areas of human discussion, without there being any factual basis for it. The same thing is true when people unilaterally declare certain communities to be "down to earth", and others to not be. I have yet to see a workable definition of "down to earth" that would render the term useful in regards to helping someone diagnose a prospective community to live in.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:53 PM

48 posts, read 100,919 times
It is a very interesting point that 987ABC brings up. On the one hand, I can see that with highly successful parents coupled with competitive peers, that the drive to 'be the best' can be overwhelming. However, on the other hand I can see that if a child already has the best in life, where does the drive to succeed come from? If you know that you can coast off of your parents connections, trust funds, gifts, etc, how do you stay motivated to get to the next level? How stressed can you really be if you already have it all? My guess is that in any school district, you will have those who will rise to the occasion and others who don't. No school district can make your child have the drive, it comes from within.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Its cultural, not quantifiable in an easy to grasp parameter one can just write down in numerical form. This confuses some into thinking it therefore doesn't exist. It comes from the attitudes and atmosphere engendered by students, parents and projected parental expectations, and can be compounded by the teachers and administration or sometimes ameliorated by them, depending on pedagogical approaches..

Of course some people are entirely invulnerable to it, but then some are entirety socially detached anyway. Notably, not all hi-scoring schools (even those scored by a single attribute such as ACT scores)have the reputation - belying the simplistic notion its just a synonym for that.

As a parent thinking of moving to such a district, ideally one would canvass parents already there. You could start with the OP of course..... You'd need a number tho to really get a feel for the school culture since some are dishonest about anything they have already committed to, some have status anxiety which will cloud all else, some with have had good experiences, and some will just be culturally not aligned with you.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba222 View Post
Currently living in Scarsdale with 2 small children and looking to move, primarily to avoid the high stress pressure cooker environment in the schools but also not feeling the overall vibe. I am looking for a significant Jewish population, easy commute to NYC, and am interested in Larchmont as it seems less uptight, more community feel, love the walkability. Is it that right? Is it very preppy?? Not really looking for super preppy waspy feel but I do like diversity and a Jewish community. Appreciate help Would like a nice town, good people, good quality of life, great schools. Does that exist?
Armonk and Rye Brook seem like good choices too. Possibly Chappaqua as well, although all are still pressure-cookers to an extent. I witnessed 3 different mini-road rage incidents in downtown Scarsdale on Saturday in less than an hour, it was absurdly comical.. and I thought people in FFC were bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County