Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else knows about the Stamford Thanksgiving Parade and what your thoughts are on it.

It's probably advertised a lot more in Fairfield than in Westchester (since no one in my circle of friends ever heard of it) I would've never known about this if Virgin Atlantic wasn't a sponsor back when my wife worked there (they're not anymore), amazing considering when I describe below what it is for those who may not know. We actually had the pleasure of being balloon handlers for this event for a couple of years earlier this decade, it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, especially if you have kids, it's a relatively traffic-hassle free, less crowded alternative to taking your little kids to the Macy's Parade. They always hold it on the Sunday before Thanksgiving (to not directly compete with Macy's) and the balloons are just as big and have all the major characters (albeit different ones from Macy's to again not directly compete). You can even go the night before to see the balloons get blown up.

I believe it was started about 15 years ago, and has grown to the point where they are going to have a fairly famous Grand Marshal this year (couple Maury Povich and Connie Chung). We've gone with our kids every year for the past 5 years or so and really enjoy it (in fact one year we went to both this AND Macy's).

It's a week from today, so I just thought I'd note it to everyone. Here's the website for more info: UBS Parade Minisite 09 - Stamford SDSSD Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: