Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 16,105 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone- any help/ opinions will be much appreciated

I'm 26 and I work in Elmsford, NY (Westchester cty) and I live in Hudson Cty, NJ.
It's a long commute, so I'm looking to move closer to work. My girlfriend, 21, works in Manhattan near the Empire State Bldg.

I am considering moving to North Riverdale, but I do not like the crime demographics I'm reading, or about the reputation of Van Courtlandt Park.

I went yesterday to check out an apartment- loved it... Great space, great mutual location for both of our jobs, great price..... Great price.... Does this have to do with the elevated crime rate?

Point2home had some in-depth crime statistics, and the robbery rate is ASTRONOMICAL
VC Park seems to have quite the bad reputation for rapes and robberies-

Yonkers appears to have much lower crime statistics; does this significant difference in crime mean I should start looking in Yonkers and forget about Riverdale? Riverdale seems like such a nice place to live; and the location is perfect for us...

-Though I'm not sure the best route for her to get from Riverdale (Broadway area, adjacent to and northwest of VC Park.

Any help is greatly appreciated- thank you so much! This is a big step for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,756 times
North Riverdale Hands down...I grew up in North Riverdale and now work in Yonkers....Also check out Woodlawn....

Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Keep in mind that not all of Yonkers is the same. It has some really crummy parts (a lot of the SW sections), and some really nice parts.

FWIW, North Riverdale has a reputation as a really safe area. I would assume that a lot of the robberies happen in the park itself, in secluded areas or after dark.

From North Riverdale to the Empire State Building, the easiest route is the BxM3 express bus. It goes down Broadway in North Riverdale, and 5th Avenue in Manhattan (going back to The Bronx, it goes up Madison Avenue). The fare is $6 per trip (you get a free transfer if you need it), or $55 for a weekly pass (that's also valid on the subway & local buses). The schedule is here.

The cheaper option is to take the #1 train at 242nd & Broadway, but that takes a long time, as it's all-local and leaves you on the West Side of Manhattan (Penn Station area). You can transfer to the express at 96th Street, but it's still a long trip.

I assume you'll be driving to Elmsford, but if not, there's buses (the 1C & 1W) that run along Broadway and bring you to Elmsford.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

269 posts, read 481,125 times
North Riverdale is great! I grew up nearby in Kingsbridge and lived in N. Riverdale for many years as an adult. I loved it and would move back in a heartbeat. I used to switch back and forth from the Express bus to the subway for my commute. The bus is more pleasant but takes really long due to traffic. The only problem with crime that I encountered is car theft. If you have to park on the street, depending on where, you could have a problem. Also, take into account NYC income tax and car insurance will be much higher within NYC limits.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 16,105 times
Thank you for the feedback !!!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
North Riverdale away from Broadway should not pose any undue risk. I would worry more about SW Yonkers than Riverdale. Van Cortlandt Park can have issues, but it is a large park that touches Riverdale on one side. The 50th Precinct is quite safe, but as mentioned, auto-related crimes can be an issue if you park on the street.

Once above the HH Parkway on Broadway, however, the neighborhood is very quiet as the subway ends at 242nd. However, conveniences can be in shorter supply in the 250s-260s.

Metro-North serves the neighborhood as well, with Hudson Railink shuttle service to the train. It takes less than 30 minutes to GCT.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,423,320 times
North Riverdale has an extremely low crime rate. It's one of the safest places to live, not only in the city, but in the metropolitan area.

Van Cortlandt Park is in the same precinct and has very little crime. Not sure where you're getting your info, but Van Cortlandt is a beautiful, well-used, and very safe park, full of runners, walkers and the like.

SW Yonkers has much higher crime; it isn't even close. It isn't the worst area or anything, but compared to North Riverdale, will not look that good.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,387 times
Sorry to bump an old thread....I'm looking into renting out a place in North Riverdale, near the border of Yonkers. I was wondering about the safety of this area (never been to this part of NYC before). The cross streets are West 261 ST and Fieldston Road. I'm going to commute by car and will probably park on the street every day.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopesd View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread....I'm looking into renting out a place in North Riverdale, near the border of Yonkers. I was wondering about the safety of this area (never been to this part of NYC before). The cross streets are West 261 ST and Fieldston Road. I'm going to commute by car and will probably park on the street every day.

Thanks!
I actually grew up on that block .... Very good neighborhood easy parking. Their biggest issue is cars get broken into. My parents still live their. I have no worries. Pm w any questions

Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat247 View Post
Hey everyone- any help/ opinions will be much appreciated

I'm 26 and I work in Elmsford, NY (Westchester cty) and I live in Hudson Cty, NJ.
It's a long commute, so I'm looking to move closer to work. My girlfriend, 21, works in Manhattan near the Empire State Bldg.

I am considering moving to North Riverdale, but I do not like the crime demographics I'm reading, or about the reputation of Van Courtlandt Park.

I went yesterday to check out an apartment- loved it... Great space, great mutual location for both of our jobs, great price..... Great price.... Does this have to do with the elevated crime rate?

Point2home had some in-depth crime statistics, and the robbery rate is ASTRONOMICAL
VC Park seems to have quite the bad reputation for rapes and robberies-

Yonkers appears to have much lower crime statistics; does this significant difference in crime mean I should start looking in Yonkers and forget about Riverdale? Riverdale seems like such a nice place to live; and the location is perfect for us...

-Though I'm not sure the best route for her to get from Riverdale (Broadway area, adjacent to and northwest of VC Park.

Any help is greatly appreciated- thank you so much! This is a big step for us!
I used to live in Riverdale. There are parts where property is safe, and parts where it is more of a risk. Near the park on broadway is certainly a higher risk area. The Park though it great. Like any urban park, I would avoid it at night, but jogging, walking and such during the day, golf, riding, just about any sport and a nice pool, make it s very nice park. Maybe move a little north and to the west, nearer to Riverdale Ave, and I think you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: