Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 37,126 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't the geographical forum, but there isn't one for Dutchess County so I'm spreading it around.

Married white couple, one girl starting High School next year, one girl in middle school next year. Wife is retiring from municipal job late 2017 or early 2018. I also have municipal job but have 9 years before early retirement. At least that's the plan...

Looking for info on the Wappingers / Fishkill / Hopewell areas. Not too familiar with Stormville but it looks good on paper. Commute to Midtown Manhattan is a no-brainer.
We've been there a few times, sat on the schools and watched (With my wife... not a creep!). Spent a few weekends there, went to some restaurants, (11 Eleven was nice) Read the school ratings, studied real estate market, taxes, etc. We feel very comfortable in the area and decided to pull the trigger.
We own our home (best guess 350 - 400k value now?) so it should be a simple process with regards to financing etc.

What I'm looking for is any differences between the towns that we may have missed? They all seemed to flow into one another without anything glaring variation. Is there anything we might need to know that local knowledge can provide us? Benefits or problems with any of them with regards to schools, services, or the normal things that concern a family relocating to a new area?

We will appreciate any information you may provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 02:17 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
are you commuting by train or car? you want to be close to a train station or highway depending on your mode of transportation. Be warned winter in dutchess is real winter compared to the island. snow and ice, when the city gets rain. You might want an AWD vehicle for work duties in winter. there are alot of nice areas, but i notice east of the taconic it gets very hilly wich raises a real road hazard in the winter. Just sayin' I commute by vehicle, and it can be hairy in winter. keep food shopping in mind too, how many minutes away do you want to be from home amenities? beautiful area of the state, good luck and try to see as much as you can before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: