U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,864 times

Advertisements

Alright, I've been scouring the forum for a little while now, and while I have certainly found a ton of useful info, I haven't seen this question addressed directly (at least not recently).

What are the best towns/neighborhoods to look at for a family seeking to live in a diverse upper middle class area in Westchester? What I'm looking to avoid is moving to a town or city that might appear to be diverse as a whole but ends up being segregated (with nicer neighborhoods being predominantly white).

More on our situation - we are a relatively young married interracial couple with a price range in the $1-1.5MM range. Currently renting an apartment in NYC with no kids but planning on starting a family and moving out of the city in the near future.

My wife works near Grand Central and I work in Greenwich so Westchester seems like a no brainer, just a matter of which town. We also have a ton of family in Bergen County so being a little further out west couldn't hurt.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like we could opt for smaller towns (Dobbs Ferry, Tuckahoe or Pelham) or larger cities (White Plains, New Rochelle or Mount Vernon).

Realizing there are trade offs on all of these factors - any advice/comparisons on "bang for your buck", taxes, schools, daycare options and downtowns for these areas would be much appreciated. And if there are any towns or cities that I've overlooked in my initial search definitely don't hesitate to let me know!

Happy to give more detail on what we're looking for if that's helpful .

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM

221 posts, read 451,248 times
I would wait until you had kids and then wait until they're a 2 or 3 years old. Having babies in the city is great, just make sure you're in an elevator building.

As for you're original question, honestly in Westchester I don't think there is any diverse upper income town. Although, that being said, an interracial couple isn't going to be a big deal in any town.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM

7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
If you have a budget of $1m to $1.5m, it would not be optimal to invest that large sum in White Plains, New Rochelle or Mount Vernon. Look at Mamaroneck, Rye Neck, Hastings or Dobbs.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

195 posts, read 221,235 times
Ditto Forest Hills Daddy.
I'd add Irvington, Ardsley, and even Harrison to the list of options to check out

Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM

63,068 posts, read 88,670,500 times
Wykagl in New Rochelle, Fleetwood in Mount Vernon and southern White Plains are potential areas to consider. There's also the southern portion of the Valhalla SD.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM

63,068 posts, read 88,670,500 times
Parts of Cortland Manor near Peekskill and Ossining away from the river may also work.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 PM

7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
Let's put it this way - It would be unwise to purchase a million bucks a home where the school is zoned for New Rochelle, White Plains, Mount Vernon or any area that is at the lower end of the price spectrum. Financially speaking, your home would be well above the average housing prices in those areas and therefore difficult to re-sell when you want to. For that budget, stick to the areas where the prices are close to what you are willing to pay.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,005,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestchesterNoob View Post
Alright, I've been scouring the forum for a little while now, and while I have certainly found a ton of useful info, I haven't seen this question addressed directly (at least not recently).
I sent you a Direct Message.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 PM

195 posts, read 221,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Let's put it this way - It would be unwise to purchase a million bucks a home where the school is zoned for New Rochelle, White Plains, Mount Vernon or any area that is at the lower end of the price spectrum.
Agreed - I can't imagine having a million to spend on a house and CHOOSING Mount Vernon.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM

221 posts, read 451,248 times
There's beautiful homes in MV and there's plenty of people who are not as concerned about schools. It's true that good school districts place a huge premium on houses 30%, 40%, maybe even 50%, but I'm not sure there's any evidence that good school districts improve liquidity of sales of those houses or are related to the price appreciation growth rates of homes? For that you would need to study the growth rate (or popularity) of public school options.

If the popularity of "good" school districts remains constant, the price appreciation of "bad" school district housing will depend on other factors such as the percentage of new home buyers which will require schooling (i.e. if more new buyers hitting the market need schooling option, the cost of "good" school district homes will outpace those in the "bad districts, and conversely if less new buyers need schools pressure will be applied to home in the low cost "bad" school districts). This same analysis can be applied if the popularity of the use public schools, which is currently very high, declines and is replaced by private school options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or