U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 4,698 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I hope to move to Westchester County within the next two years (we'd move before if we found the right town/home but our oldest should be starting school in two years)

Here's what we've been considering in our search:

•within 25 minutes of Yonkers (to be close to in-laws)
•decent school district (does not have to be top-rated in terms of test scores but safety, positive school culture, and a nurturing environment are all important to us and hard to gauge on a school rating report)
•budget 550K

Why we haven't moved yet:

•I currently work in Brooklyn
•our daycare here is very affordable
•not sure where to go and when's the right time / still researching

I'd be willing to look for work closer. We're not sure if affordable daycare is reason enough to wait two years or if we should make a move now.

We've explored Hartsdale, and somewhat Pleasantville and New Rochelle. Open to your experiences with the towns mentioned as well as suggestions of towns we might be overlooking.

Hoping I've given enough information and looking forward to the feedback.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM

195 posts, read 221,273 times
Check out Hawthore/Valhalla/Mount Pleasant, Harrison/West Harrison and White Plains too.
Pleasantville is great but you'll have a hard time finding something there in your budget.

I'd also recommend looking this spring seriously. We waited for the spring before my son was going to go to K to REALLY house hunt seriously, thinking it would be silly to move out of the Bronx and start paying Westchester taxes before he was ready to start school, but it doesn't always work out that easily. We couldn't find a house that was the right fit for us for two years. My son wound up going to public K and 1st grade in the Bronx before we finally closed on a house. I kick myself for waiting so long when I know we wanted to move.

Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks, jaymtea! Can I ask where did you wind up moving to?

I'm realizing Pleasantville may be out of our price range. I don't know much about Harrison but I think it might be further than we'd like to be in order to be in close proximity to my in-laws. (Pleasantville is almost too far, as well). I'm noticing White Plains houses seem to be priced lower than both New Rochelle and Hartsdale. Any idea why that is? I don't know much about White Plains but will start to look in the area.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM

We wound up in Thornwood and I love it. It's part of Mount Pleasant which is made up of Thornwood, Valhalla, Pleasantville and Hawthorne. Parts of Pleasantville and Valhalla have their own school systems. The rest go to Mount Pleasant schools. All of them are well regarded but not considered "top notch" or "pressure cooker" or whatever term you want to use.

There are definitely houses on the market in Valhalla and Hawthorne that would fall into your price range. You won't have an acre and it may be hilly/sloped, but it it's great neighborhood. Also not a bad drive to Yonkers.

I know people in Harrison and they really like it. It may be a little further from Yonkers than you'd like though. I know it's about 20 minutes from Harrison to Thornwood but I don't know the time to Yonkers.

White Plains is a strange spot - if you search these forums, people who live there love it. There seems to be a nice sense of community in a lot of the neighborhoods. The schools are a mix of race/income and test scores aren't perfect because of the large mix of different students, but from everything I've heard, there are a lot of opportunities to do well if you want to learn. White Plains is more of a city, and neighborhoods with your price range tend to have smaller lots, but from everything I know it's a safe neighborhood and close to a lot of different things.

New Rochelle is overrated in my opinion. I think the taxes there are way to high without anything wonderful to show for it.

The rivertowns are nice too, but I'm not sure you can find much there under 600k. Dobbs Ferry and Ardsley maybe.

If you want more specifics, feel free to PM me. I house searched for A LONG TIME! lol

Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 PM

jaymtea, this was very helpful!

Planning on going to open houses this weekend. I may take you up on that PM offer for specifics as questions come up.

Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 AM

186 posts, read 362,608 times
Yorktown Heights close to the Taconic! If you look at parts of town close to the Taconic, it is a quick to the Sprain , right into Yonkers. Also as the above poster mentioned, Hawthorne/Thornwood (you can get the saw mill from there too) Anything else might be too far over budget...good luck!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 AM

234 posts, read 367,216 times
I would also check out Tuckahoe and Eastchester. Just a few min from Yonkers, great schools.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM

1,847 posts, read 1,834,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Yorktown Heights close to the Taconic! If you look at parts of town close to the Taconic, it is a quick to the Sprain , right into Yonkers. Also as the above poster mentioned, Hawthorne/Thornwood (you can get the saw mill from there too) Anything else might be too far over budget...good luck!
Rhw budget is 550k, which may be doable- but the taxes may not.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM

788 posts, read 701,569 times
If OP thought Pleasantville was too far then Yorktown Heights is most definitely out. Hartsdale/Thornwood/Valhalla/Tarrytown seem like good recommendations too. Maybe Mamaroneck as well but the cross county route can sometimes be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or