Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,319 times

Advertisements

I took an opportunity in my company to service our accounts in the Westchester and North Jersey areas. I work from home and service/repair servers and storage systems on site for our clients. My wife is moving from the UK to come live with me. I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley, PA area and I have a few friends in the Westchester county area but they own houses.

It's just us two, no kids or family. We are hoping to find a single family home, duplex, or townhouse somewhere in the surrounding area that would allow us to keep a medium or large dog as a pet.

Ideally, it would be an area where there is a train station within 5-10 minutes from the house.

A large 2BR or small 3BR would be perfect. I need an area at home that I can use as an office for work related stuff.

I've been looking on Craigslist, Padmapper, Zillow, Realtor.com, and several other websites. I also submitted a client form over at http://www.wroinc.org/services/rentals. Had a look at the NYhousingsearch.gov site and WPAR.org as well but I don't know the area as well as someone who has lived there for some time. I've been there many times over the years I lived in the north east so I know my way around, but I'm stuck trying to find a long term rental now so that I can move up there in the beginning of May.

Trying to stay right around $2000/mo; less would be better but I understand it's an expensive area and I'd prefer paying more for something conveniently located that is up to date and presentable. Just to reiterate; I'm looking around all 4 of the counties in my thread title. I'd even consider Bergen county, NJ and parts of Fairfield County, CT.

I'd be happy to work with a realtor that could find me a nice rental, but I don't even know where to start. I want someone that will show me stuff from all the sources; not just their private rentals or just the MLS or whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by element6; 03-24-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 11:41 AM

195 posts, read 297,239 times
I would think your best bet is looking at a Metro North map and seeing which areas would work for your commute to the area you'd be servicing. If schools aren't an issue you should be able to find something under budget. Once you're out of the "easy" manhattan commute radius prices in westchester ease up.
If you're going to be in Jersey a lot, maybe go for the Port Jervis line and look around Tuxedo or Suffern. If you'd prefer to be in Westchester, you could go from Ossining up to Beacon. There are really a lot of choices - but the westchester towns will probably be more expensive.
Good luck!

Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,319 times
Thank you for the reply.

I have a company car and will be driving for anything for work unless I'm headed to one of our customers that happens to be right along one of the lines and I want to use the train. I do warranty support. Most of our customers have 4 hour response contracts and I have to go there immediately, on demand, to get the issue resolved. Because of that, there is no consistency in where or when I'll be working.

I'd like to live somewhat close to a station because it may be helpful to my wife in getting her to work when she finds a job. I'd also like taking the metro north trains for things like going into the city or heading elsewhere after hours and on the weekends. After driving 30-35k miles for work every year for the last 7 years in FL, I'll do anything to avoid driving when I don't have to.

The huge problem I have is being here and trying to look for rentals. I really need an agent of some sort. Somebody that knows how the rental market works in that area that can find me stuff that would meet my needs. Anybody have any suggestions for an agent?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
My recommendation would be nanuet. It is close across the tappan zee bridge from tarrytown, and yet close to the highway to new jersey. It also has its own metro north station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County