U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 7,774 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the various comments. We have always been suburban people and as much as I like the more rural country feel, I could see that wearing off pretty fast.

Larchmont certainty does sound appealing in terms of what the town has to offer and it's general proximity to NYC and water. However, there appear to be some mixed views on the commuting time to Armonk. I used a Google Map search at 7-30-8am in the morning which showed approx 30-35min depending on the route which sounds reasonable to me - am I missing something?

Looking at some of the properties for sale the main downside beyond property cost is the property taxes which look significant > $20k for a $1m property. Are there any other Westchester towns in with more reasonable taxes? Otherwise perhaps somewhere near Greenwich might be the best compromise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM

227 posts, read 244,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv1 View Post
Are there any other Westchester towns in with more reasonable taxes? Otherwise perhaps somewhere near Greenwich might be the best compromise.
Not ones that satisfy your other criteria, no. Connecticut is where you end up if you really want to reduce property tax liability a meaningful amount.

I would budget 40-45 minutes for your commute expectations based on my neighbors who commute in that direction.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM

1,122 posts, read 641,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
Not ones that satisfy your other criteria, no. Connecticut is where you end up if you really want to reduce property tax liability a meaningful amount.

I would budget 40-45 minutes for your commute expectations based on my neighbors who commute in that direction.
Makes sense, but with the $1.2m or under budget mentioned in the original post, Greenwich is going to be tight if you want a newer single family home in a non-flood zone area and also in a good school district. We looked at quite a lot of homes in a similar range in Greenwich and most of the newer housing stock in the $1m price range is going to be a townhome. If that's not a concern, then you can probably find a decent one in Greenwich. Most of all the properties < 1M were closer to the Port Chester border (meaning you'd end up driving further to the train or taking Port Chester) or were in Cos Cob near or in a flood zone.

We ended up in southern Westchester for this reason; however if you're planning to hold on to the house for a substantial period of time and want to invest in the home itself rather than property taxes, Connecticut makes a lot more sense financially and there are a lot of decent options, provided the original poster is willing to max out their stated budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or