Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM

40 posts, read 258,303 times

Advertisements

Just purchased in Yorktown area and I am wondering how to get a parking spot at the train station? I hear there is a waiting list. How do you apply? How long til you get spot?

Please post or DM
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM

20 posts, read 181,694 times
Default Which station

Which station are you planning to use?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
Default Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb273 View Post
Which station are you planning to use?
Yes. This of course is very important.

The station closest to you would be Katonah and I'm fairly sure the parking there is minimal. Another choice would be Mt. Kisco, which has a larger lot. Both are Harlem line trains (Blue Schedule).

Another options is to shoot over to the Cortlandt station, which is the stop above Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line (Green schedule). Cortlandt has a very large lot but most likely has a waiting list. However, they allow both residents and non-residents to apply because Rockland is right across the bear mountain and folks from there use the station. They have a lot of municipal parking which costs about $3.75 a day if I'm not mistaken. Cortlandt has a fair number of trains during peak times and the rest of the time is an express stop. Here's the Cortlandt info from Metro North:

mta.info | Metro-North Railroad

It will take you about fifteen minutes to drive from Yorktown to this stop. Just an idea if you can't find parking closer. I lived in the area and used this station from the day it was built and many times rode with Yorktown folks.

Avoid Croton at all costs. Its an excellent station but the parking is terrible, gets filled quickly, and when it rains the lot floods and ruins many a car. And the town isn't responsible for the damage; its an "at your own risk" type thing.

Peekskill (which is the next stop above Cortlandt) could be a possibility but it doesn't have as much parking as Cortlandt and isn't as safe.

As far as how to apply for parking you call the mta info line (see link above) or the town who's station you plan to use and they can usually get you that info.
You may also want to compare the costs of a monthly ticket for the different stations as they vary depending on the zone.

Quick fun fact. In the center of Yorktown, across from the Shell station that is near Front Street there is a park with a building that used to be the Yorktown train station. This is from the days when Westchester had a fourth line, the Putnam, that ran down the center. The terminus was 155th street and you would then transfer to one of the other three lines. It ceased service in the 1950s. The Briarcliff Librarry was the train station for that old stop and the station building you see in Millwood serviced that area. Too bad they're not still there!

Sorry for rambling. Have a great day and I hope you find parking!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
Avoid Croton at all costs. Its an excellent station but the parking is terrible, gets filled quickly, and when it rains the lot floods and ruins many a car. And the town isn't responsible for the damage; its an "at your own risk" type thing.
I live in Yorktown and use the Croton-Harmon station every day. It is a 10 minute drive from my house, but that will depend on where in Yorktown you are coming from. (For me, Katonah and Cortlandt stations would both be longer drives, but Mt. Kisco would be about the same as Croton).

Parking at Croton-Harmon is really quite good. There are two huge lots for non-resident permit holders and in 5 years I have never had a problem getting a good spot (and I leave on the late side, at 8:30am). One of those lots has about 10 parking spots that can get a few inches of water when there is a very heavy rain. If you expect a heavy rain, don't park in one of those spots. There is always room in the rear lot, which is always dry. About 3 times a year Croton closes one of the non-resident lots due to flooding from the Croton River (this is related to the lunar cycle and river tides, not to rain). On those occasions you need to get to the station early to get a spot in the rear lot. Or you can park in the Daily Parking lot, which is always dry and open.

I had to wait for 2 months to get the non-resident permit, but that was years ago so I have no idea how long the wait is now.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I live in Yorktown and use the Croton-Harmon station every day. It is a 10 minute drive from my house, but that will depend on where in Yorktown you are coming from. (For me, Katonah and Cortlandt stations would both be longer drives, but Mt. Kisco would be about the same as Croton).

Parking at Croton-Harmon is really quite good. There are two huge lots for non-resident permit holders and in 5 years I have never had a problem getting a good spot (and I leave on the late side, at 8:30am). One of those lots has about 10 parking spots that can get a few inches of water when there is a very heavy rain. If you expect a heavy rain, don't park in one of those spots. There is always room in the rear lot, which is always dry. About 3 times a year Croton closes one of the non-resident lots due to flooding from the Croton River (this is related to the lunar cycle and river tides, not to rain). On those occasions you need to get to the station early to get a spot in the rear lot. Or you can park in the Daily Parking lot, which is always dry and open.

I had to wait for 2 months to get the non-resident permit, but that was years ago so I have no idea how long the wait is now.
It is true that only one part of the lot floods. And do I really want to remember which spaces when I'm in a rush to catch a train? This after I've paid about 350 or more a year for the right to park on the edge of a swamp/bog?

Here's my formula, however:

1. I'm paying you money
2. Consequently you do something about the lot

I'm sorry, but any flooding is bad when you're paying for a permit. A friend of mine had the electrical system on his vehicle destroyed by the "few inches of water" you mention. They need to do a study and figure out a way (and believe me there is one) to correct the problem.

I lived in Croton btw and there are those that echo my sentiments.

The rest of your post I agree with although I think the wait for the non-res permit may be longer.

One thing about Croton that's great is that trains start from there so you can get a seat. All the Cortlandt trains start up in Poughkeepsie and sometimes its standing room only.

Last edited by AnNYYankee; 03-14-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys,
I will be in Granite Springs so I think Katonah is closer. I start at 6:AM +/- so I should be ahead of most?
Anyway, I hope to be in June 1st and try a few options.

Any Car Pools organized?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseshopping View Post
Thanks guys,
I will be in Granite Springs so I think Katonah is closer. I start at 6:AM +/- so I should be ahead of most?
Anyway, I hope to be in June 1st and try a few options.

Any Car Pools organized?
Yes, Katonah would be your best bet from Granite Springs. A car pool I don't know about; sorry I can't help you with that. 6am won't be as crowded as the later trains.

In the old days, when there was "The Putnam Line" I mentioned, there was a Baldwin Place stop which would have been great for you!

Best of luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
If you are coming from Granite Springs, you may have a hard time getting a spot in Katonah as the Town of Bedford controls the parking lots & they distribute most of the spaces to residents. I think they set aside a few spots for Somers residents, but have a very long waiting list for them & they cost twice as much as the ones for Bedford residents. Your best bet is to call the Bedford town hall & find out. I know when we moved to Somers 5 years ago, I checked re: the Katonah station & had no luck. My husband ended up getting a spot at Goldens Bridge as those lots are run by the company hired by MTA.
Good luck; parking is always a sore subject in No. Westchester as there is not enuff for us & the people coming over from CT because their train lines are so much worse.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
Yes, Katonah would be your best bet from Granite Springs. A car pool I don't know about; sorry I can't help you with that. 6am won't be as crowded as the later trains.

In the old days, when there was "The Putnam Line" I mentioned, there was a Baldwin Place stop which would have been great for you!

Best of luck.
That line is the "trailway" now, correct? That would have run by my house, less than 1/4 mile. Oh well!
Thanks for your help!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
If you are coming from Granite Springs, you may have a hard time getting a spot in Katonah as the Town of Bedford controls the parking lots & they distribute most of the spaces to residents. I think they set aside a few spots for Somers residents, but have a very long waiting list for them & they cost twice as much as the ones for Bedford residents. Your best bet is to call the Bedford town hall & find out. I know when we moved to Somers 5 years ago, I checked re: the Katonah station & had no luck. My husband ended up getting a spot at Goldens Bridge as those lots are run by the company hired by MTA.
Good luck; parking is always a sore subject in No. Westchester as there is not enuff for us & the people coming over from CT because their train lines are so much worse.
I will try and contact Bedford town Hall this week. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County