U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 24,944 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have been reading all the posts pertaining to affordability of suburbs with good schools and less than 1 hr commute time to NYC. MY husband may have a job opportunity at Cornell Med School, they may offer housing subsidy and salary hopefully will be close to 150,000. We are solid middle class people 2 children, 7 and 12 and have always live in the suburbs in small communities. I would like to send my kids to public school. I would love more diversity and don't need alot of land but would like to increase square footage of current home to maybe 1800-2000. I am likely looking for what everyone is looking for, down to earth people, safe, community feel, good schools, decent commute and perhaps staying around 500,000 max. Does such a place exist?
Some of the communties that have come to mind by other readers reccomendations are Riverdale, Ossining, and maybe some other Hudson River communities. Don't know anything about NJ and Northern Westchester is out of the question due to the commute. I know many people do it but family time is more important. I am also a nurse and will be looking for a part-time job in those areas, so was wondering if anyone knows good hospitals to look into. I know this is a tall order but even little bits of info will help our final decision.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 34,319 times
I will likely remain in NYC area for my life, but if I had a chance to move I would. It is not easy to live here, especially when compared to other areas I have lived (Columbus, Ohio, Up Upstate NY and North Carolina). It is really very expensive here, especially for the middle class. If you can, I would avoid moving here, especially since it is really very crowded, hectic, and it is really impossible to find a nice size house with a nice yard, in a nice school district within an hour of the city for less than 6-700,000. My husband and I have been looking for a few years, and have come to the conclusion that, to sell our 650 sq foot apartment (what a hassle) we could not find a house that is really worth the trouble for less than 800,000. For a 3 bedroom house that is 50-70 years old and will always need work.

Our salaries combined are well over $200k a year and we are aggressive savers and not spenders, and still we struggle. Everything is more expensive--child care, taxes, summer camp, babysitters, utilities, gas, tolls, commuting expenses, sales tax, plus the truly congested quality of life.

If you really love city life and make an effort to get out there (commute on the weekends to Manhattan), then it may be worth it to you. But my suggestion is find out what EVERYTHING will cost for you--then compare it to what you will make and see if you are willing to live with it. Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 29,006 times
Hello,

I keep hearing how hard NYC and near suburbs are and am concerned that my husband an I are deluding ourselves. We are thinking that our relocation will improve our standard of living. Our current tiny house costs $1000 per square foot, though property taxes are lower than in Westchester. It looks like there are a number of town in Westchester with median incomes of about 100,000. More than the national median, of course, but not outrageous for 2 income professional families. Can a family earning $100,000 live comfortably in Westchester?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM

364 posts, read 1,912,789 times
interesting thread.

When you guys talk about a salary of $200K, $150K, $100K, is that after taxes???

Based on my experience, (and I have lived in six other states so I'm not BS here), NYC is quite a frustrating monster for the middle class.

Seriously, I recently bought and apartment in Yonkers which is OK and I like a lot. But I realize that for the same price I could have bought a 3bdr house with backyard in MI or SC for example, states in which I previously lived. Not only that, but I couldn't agree more with the comment above about....age. EVERYTHING IS OLD IN NYC

Unless you are rich, IMO, NYC is for people that crave the city life period. Yo must be a city person to appreciate the fullness and variety of the city, otherwise you'll go crazy when you realize that what you get for your money is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less than somewhere else.

Still, i like the city, I like working in the city and that's why I'm still here

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 34,319 times
I know I am talking salary BEFORE taxes. If I were clearing 150-200k AFTER taxes I would be in a whole different arena. IMO, you need to make 300K plus before taxes to live the middle class life in Westchester/NYC suburbs that my friends and family who make 100K outside the area live.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,952,646 times
We're making in the same range--about 150K a year, before taxes--and I couldn't be happier with our lifestyle. Great house, great area, great schools. Kid goes to wonderful camps and classes and town programs. We have amazing town pools and a lake for swimming in the summer, as well as great hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing. We go to great restuarants, movies, plays. We're close enough to the city to pop in whenever we feel like it. Went to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday and a maple sugar making program on Sunday. What could be better?

When you talk about expenses in other areas, remember that most jobs pay a lot less eleswhere. I was offered a higher level job in Boston and the pay was lower than what I now make in NYC. My wife looked at salaries there and the pay for her same job was 15% lower. So housing may be cheaper elsewhere, but salaries are also a lot lower for most professions.

We pay a lot to live close to NYC because we like being able to enjoy the city now and then--and because that is where the best, and highest paying, jobs are.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

137 posts, read 971,452 times
I don't think 100,000 will get you very far in westchester. It depends on your lifestyle. Having kids can be expensive if you want them to feel like everybody else.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,444 times
My Husband And I Have Been In Living In Mamaroneck For Over 20 Years In A Neighborhood Called Shore Acress, Which Has Its Own Beach Club. Its A Beautiful Quality Of Life, Many People Dont Know This Exists. Moderator cut: no advertising here, please

Last edited by Marka; 03-19-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM

12 posts, read 24,944 times
What town are you living in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
We're making in the same range--about 150K a year, before taxes--and I couldn't be happier with our lifestyle. Great house, great area, great schools. Kid goes to wonderful camps and classes and town programs. We have amazing town pools and a lake for swimming in the summer, as well as great hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing. We go to great restuarants, movies, plays. We're close enough to the city to pop in whenever we feel like it. Went to the Bronx Zoo on Saturday and a maple sugar making program on Sunday. What could be better?

When you talk about expenses in other areas, remember that most jobs pay a lot less eleswhere. I was offered a higher level job in Boston and the pay was lower than what I now make in NYC. My wife looked at salaries there and the pay for her same job was 15% lower. So housing may be cheaper elsewhere, but salaries are also a lot lower for most professions.

We pay a lot to live close to NYC because we like being able to enjoy the city now and then--and because that is where the best, and highest paying, jobs are.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,952,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnaya View Post
What town are you living in?
We live in southern Yorktown, in the Huntersville area. I think a similar lifestyle can be had in a number of towns in northern Westchester--especially now that home prices have declined. You can get a great house with nice property in a great area for a lot less than it would have cost 2 years ago. It's all a question of what you want and what makes you happy. As I said, I couldn't be happier with our lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>