Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM

166 posts, read 367,422 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

Have been looking for a carwash place around White Plains, North Yonkers, Elmsford that will clean undercarriage. Many places list cleaning undercarriage in the packages but don't actually do it. The underbody is crisp dry after the carwash and questioning them doesn't help. I usually use the one on Tarrytown Road (across Das Auto Parts), but even after paying $22, salt remains as it is.

Doing it at home is not practical for some reason hence looking for a place. So if you have used any place and you are certain they do it ( i.e. you checked underbody yourself), would love to know these places.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM

776 posts, read 947,747 times
Seriously, why do you think that washing the underside of your car is any different than driving in the rain ? Rain is free and we get it every week or so, right ?

xxx.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,274,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Hello folks,

Have been looking for a carwash place around White Plains, North Yonkers, Elmsford that will clean undercarriage. Many places list cleaning undercarriage in the packages but don't actually do it. The underbody is crisp dry after the carwash and questioning them doesn't help. I usually use the one on Tarrytown Road (across Das Auto Parts), but even after paying $22, salt remains as it is.

Doing it at home is not practical for some reason hence looking for a place. So if you have used any place and you are certain they do it ( i.e. you checked underbody yourself), would love to know these places.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Smart man! As a car guy I admire those who take care of their vehicles. Sorry I can't help you with where to bring your vehicle as I am now living in Arizona.

When I lived in New York I used to hook up a hose to my hot water heater, get on a crawler and washed the undercarriage of my truck after each snow and rainstorm during the winter months. People thought I was crazy but the truck lasted a long time. When it came time to sell it wasn't so crazy after all. After 10 years and over 100,000 miles there wasn't any rust on it, anywhere. Not only that I never had to replace any of it's suspension components as I kept it clean and greased. Unfortunately salt water gets into all of a vehicles moving suspension parts. That's why it's important to keep them clean and greased especially during the winter.

Getting on a crawler as I did may not be practical for you especially if you have a car. My truck was a 3/4 ton 4X4 with a high ride height. Neither is it practical buying a new vehicle every couple of years due to the corrosive effects of winter. Unless of course you've got an awful lot of money to spend, then it doesn't matter. Not only that a lot of people really like their vehicles and wish to keep them looking like new. I suspect you may fall into that category?

If you can't find a car wash that does the job you may want to buy a length of PVC pipe, cap the end and drill a series of holes a couple of inches apart on top and down the length of the pipe. With the proper fitting you can then hook it up to a hose. Place it under the vehicle and move the vehicle back and forth. Or you may be able to use a common lawn sprinkler.

Here's another method of making your own:
Build your Own Undercarriage Cleaning System

At least once you have your own undercarriage washer you can use it whenever you wish. It's usually a good idea to wash it frequently during the winter months and into the spring at least until the roads are salt free.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-12-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,274,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Seriously, why do you think that washing the underside of your car is any different than driving in the rain ? Rain is free and we get it every week or so, right ?

xxx.
Because the rain water mixes with the salt residue that has already been laid down on the roads during the winter months. So in effect all you're doing is giving the undercarriage a consistent salt water bath. Obviously this corrosive mixture gets into every nook and cranny you can think of. The objective is to get all that crap off of it and not add to it. This is one of the reasons vehicles don't last in the northeast or other parts of the country that have a harsh winter. Unless of course their owners take good care of them which means frequent washings of both the outside and especially the underside of their vehicles.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-12-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 AM

166 posts, read 367,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Here's another method of making your own:
Build your Own Undercarriage Cleaning System
Thanks for the tip. I actually considered one but not this elaborate. Honestly, I am not aware of the rules regarding which kind of water you can send to sewage in our county, but know many neighboring counties do not allow home car washers to send that water in the sewage. Looks like this is the only way to go.

Found out that there is a washer at Thornwood, who offers DIY washers. I will look at that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County