U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 AM

31 posts, read 31,700 times

Advertisements

Please help!

My family recently relocated to New York. I work in Manhattan and my husband works in southeast Connecticut. We are looking for a rental home that is convenient to the New Haven line so that my commute can be as close to an hour as possible.

We are not in a position to buy yet, so we are trying to keep rent below $4,000/month, which looks like it is equivalent to a $500,000 or so home purchase in this area.

We are from out of state and used to being able to get a whole lot of home for quite a lot less money than is the norm around here. I understand we can expect a considerable lifestyle change, but we are looking for a home with at least a backyard and at least two bathrooms.

Is this doable while maintaining our budgetary goals? Friends from the area have recommended Larchmont, Rye and Mamaroneck (mostly because of the schools), but I have only found a handful of homes online in this price range in these areas.

While I always prefer areas with great elementary and middle schools, if this is too much to ask for within our price range, we will happily consider towns/areas with less than stellar school districts and continue with independent schools, as we have been doing for years. We would also prefer a little diversity, if it is possible, as our family is accustomed to areas that are much more integrated than what seems to be the norm in Westchester County.

Any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM

788 posts, read 702,427 times
Port Chester and the part of Rye Brook districted to PCSD would be a good option for a nicer house if you don't plan on using the school system. It is right on the state border with CT and decent train commute from Rye or PC stations. Some really nice neighborhoods and definitely diverse overall. $4k should get you something in the better school districts but the house will be smaller and there isn't a ton of inventory. In addition to these towns check out Harrison, and in CT Greenwich (Byram & Cos Cob neighborhoods) and Darien (Noroton Heights neighborhood).

Old 05-24-2017, 09:49 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,353,515 times
Have you considered Stamford?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,585,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbp View Post
Please help!

My family recently relocated to New York. I work in Manhattan and my husband works in southeast Connecticut. We are looking for a rental home that is convenient to the New Haven line so that my commute can be as close to an hour as possible.

We are not in a position to buy yet, so we are trying to keep rent below $4,000/month, which looks like it is equivalent to a $500,000 or so home purchase in this area.

We are from out of state and used to being able to get a whole lot of home for quite a lot less money than is the norm around here. I understand we can expect a considerable lifestyle change, but we are looking for a home with at least a backyard and at least two bathrooms.

Is this doable while maintaining our budgetary goals? Friends from the area have recommended Larchmont, Rye and Mamaroneck (mostly because of the schools), but I have only found a handful of homes online in this price range in these areas.

While I always prefer areas with great elementary and middle schools, if this is too much to ask for within our price range, we will happily consider towns/areas with less than stellar school districts and continue with independent schools, as we have been doing for years. We would also prefer a little diversity, if it is possible, as our family is accustomed to areas that are much more integrated than what seems to be the norm in Westchester County.

Any advice?
Stamford, CT not the best schools but it okay the commute is 40 min to Grand Central by train. Stamford is close to NYC, Westchester County. Trains leave Stamford every 7 mins during rush hour and 20 mins during regular time

Old 05-29-2017, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,719 times
Port Chester is great. The school system is improving greatly. I am tired of the same person bashing Port Chester schools throughout these forums.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM

685 posts, read 569,595 times
Port Chester schools are awful.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 PM

276 posts, read 493,842 times
Why not also look at the Harlem line towns- northeastern westchester is very convenient to CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or