U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 10,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move out of NYC and have been looking in the Bedford/katonah/Pound Ridge area, but my wife would like something "not so remote". While we are very familiar with fairfeild country/LI sound side of westchester, we have little exposure to the river towns.

What town will give us some of the space and outdoor oppertunity that bedford offers with a more happening town? I would rather not commute Just to give some more details- we are 30, about to have our 1st kid, and can afford $1-1.5mill, liberal and like restuarants/bars/plays etc.

It seems like tarrytown/croton might fit the bill, but would love some advice.

Thanks for your help!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,864,422 times
The Croton, Tarrytown, Ossining area offers many areas that have a "country" feel but are close to more vibrant towns. 1 to 1.5 can buy a nice house (depending on what you are after) in any of those towns. Between these towns and Peeekskill, you'll have easy access to a number of restaurants, theaters, bars, an art museum, and other 'cultural amenities.' These communites are all pretty liberal.

In the Katonah/Beford area, Mt Kisco also has a lot of restaurants. You can be very close to town and still feel like you're in the country.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,742 times
Default any difference between tarrytown and croton?

is there much difference? also, what about irivington?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Croton is smaller than Tarrytown, is less dense and developed, and does not have nearly as large a lower income population. In Croton you can pretty much walk anythere and can be in the "country" in about a minute. Tarrytown is larger, more 'urban,' more diverse, and has a larger selection of restaurants, galleries, etc. I know that Croton schools are excellent, and I believe that they have a better reputation than those in Tarrytown (but I can't swear to that!). So, yes there definitely a difference between the towns--which is 'better' depends on what you are looking for.

I'm not that familiar with Irvington, so I'll let someone else answer that...

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,297,330 times
Irvington is a lot like Hastings and some of the other communities. A little smaller than Tarrytown, though. There's not much 'country' feel. Certainly not as much as in Bedford...nobody has a horse in back of the house.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM

You might also want to check out southern Yorktown, much of which has the same feel as the Katonah area but which is centrally located and feels far less "remote." That's where I live and we're 10 to 15 minutes from Croton, Peekskill, Ossining, Katonah, Mt. Kisco, Chappaqua, and Pleasantviille. On an average weekend we'll go to Peekskill to the coffee house and the park and then have dinner in Mt. Kisco and see a film in Pleasantville. I have a 10 minute drive to the station in Croton, but I love the location. In your price range, you should be able to get a nice house on a few acres.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM

101 posts, read 432,622 times
Irvington is a wonderful village to live in, but as another poster mentioned- there really isnt a country feel to it- as it is too close to the city. You will have to go to Northern Westchester for that. Tarrytown is not known for having the greatest schools, many people send their kids to private. Irvington, Hastings, Dobbs Ferry- the other Rivertowns- all have great schools- but are much pricier. I believe Irvington is the priciest, but it is beautiful. Alll the Rivertowns have walkable downtowns, many kids walk to school and driving everywhere is not necessary- major difference from the original towns you mentioned. Really different vibe from Bedford/Pound Ridge.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 PM

305 posts, read 1,784,122 times
I think Irvington would be perfect for you. Close to the city, excellent schools, nice town and a stone's throw to Tarrytown. It certainly doesn't feel remote but it does feel peaceful and very un-city like. You will have space but not the type of space you would find in Northern Westchester. You will be surrounded by some great restaurants, little shops and antiques plus there is a really nice park right in the water. If you ever want to go to the city, its a quick train ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County