U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 AM

52 posts, read 142,795 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My family and I are in the process of deciding on one of two houses—one in the Rye Neck School District, and the other in the Mamaroneck School District. We have one kid, who will be going into 2nd grade, and our biggest concern in where to buy is the large vs. the small school debate, since based on my research, the two school districts are ultimately comparable in performance-based data.

My question is about people’s experiences with either school district. I’m hoping people might share their views on the benefits/drawbacks of Mamaroneck, as a large school district, and Rye Neck, as a small school district, especially when students get to the middle and high school level.

As for elementary school, if it helps in giving input, the Mamaroneck district house we’re looking at is in Larchmont, zoned for the Murray Ave. elementary school.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:51 PM

828 posts, read 765,454 times
We looked closely at both districts and ended up choosing Mamaroneck because we preferred the larger district. It's entirely a personal decision, but we liked the fact that the middle and high schools are much larger and have more diverse offerings, activities, etc. We live in Larchmont and are extremely happy with our decision so far, as our neighbors are wonderful. We have not yet gotten into the school system because my daughter is young and first starts at Chatsworth Avenue School next year, but many of our neighbors and friends are very pleased with the district, and we have good friends with children at Murray. Also, FWIW many of the homes in the Rye Neck district are in a flood zone and require flood insurance, which can cost thousands of dollars per year. Some homes in Larchmont are also in a flood zone but it is (relatively) rare. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM

52 posts, read 142,795 times
Thanks so much for your insight, BD1978! It's so helpful to hear from people who live in areas to get their experiences. You're absolutely right about it being a personal decision; the challenge for us is that both my husband and I went to far smaller high schools, so it's hard for us to envision what a much larger high school experience would be like (even though we're still years away from that at this point...), and I worry about students getting kind of lost. The plus side, as you point out, is that a larger school can generally offer far more classes, activities, etc.

Fortunately neither house in contention is in the flood zone, so at least that's not a factor.

Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:38 PM

828 posts, read 765,454 times
No problem and good luck with your decision. I went to a large NYC public high school with close to 500 students in my graduating class; and my wife's high school had at least 250 students per grade. So to us these tiny districts seem kind of limiting, but we have lots of friends who had great experiences in various small districts throughout Westchester; and we certainly like some of the bigger districts such as White Plains as well. Very much a personal choice. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2017, 01:55 PM

820 posts, read 917,349 times
If your child seems like they would benefit from more focused personal attention then go Rye Neck, if you think they will flourish in an environment where they have a broader array of learning options then go Maro. Kids from Larchmont tend to stick together through high school at Mamaroneck so I wouldn't worry about the social aspect as much as the academic style fit.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:55 AM

88 posts, read 126,425 times
Can someone give some examples of the activities present at the larget school and missing at the small school? I am in the same situation as OP and trying to decide...We're not focused much on sports (my kid is not that athletically talented and we can do perfectly fine with a narrow set of sports plus paid extracurriculars outside of school ), but the selection of AP classes and other academics matter. Can anyone give some examples? Thanks so much!!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 3,113 times
I spent time at both high schools, and both districts are good. As previous posters have stated, at the middle and high school level, Mamaroneck has more activites, but Rye Neck has the edge in personalized attention and a tighter community.

To expand, Mamaroneck has more (and better) sports teams for the most part, a bigger music program, and more electives and extracurriculars. Community-wise, it's definitely a bit more divided, which I think results from some combination of the size, the stark socioeconomic contrast between Mamaroneck and Larchmont, and the fact that kids attend four different elementary schools. Mamaroneck almost felt to me like multiple schools in one building when I went there. The advantage, of course, is that with three or four times more students, it much easier to find people with common interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County