U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM

4,762 posts, read 621,797 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to hear that Pelham has changed so much, demographically, since I lived there 12 years ago. I never would have expected it to have 30% minority population now; my guess would have been no more than 10-15%.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 PM

58 posts, read 51,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that Pelham has changed so much, demographically, since I lived there 12 years ago. I never would have expected it to have 30% minority population now; my guess would have been no more than 10-15%.
I work in Pelham and at least 30% sounds right to me. Pelham is SO close to Mount Vernon, which demographically is like the Bronx.....it's harder to see the distinction between the two.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 PM

47 posts, read 37,553 times
OP, why don't you take your logic to the fullest, and move somewhere really white and really far away, like Lincoln County, WV, 99% caucasian.

Of course, good luck with the schools there.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 AM

628 posts, read 545,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
OP, why don't you take your logic to the fullest, and move somewhere really white and really far away, like Lincoln County, WV, 99% caucasian.

Of course, good luck with the schools there.
I get what your trying to do, and it does not work like you intended. The problem when someone attempts to "argue the periphery" is that the other side can simply point to the voluminous examples that contradict the small pool of examples that someone like you can possible cite. In this case, you cite one, I could cite thousands.

now, my turn, show me any 99% black or hispanic school that is above national averages in student achievement.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 AM

63,304 posts, read 88,796,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
I get what your trying to do, and it does not work like you intended. The problem when someone attempts to "argue the periphery" is that the other side can simply point to the voluminous examples that contradict the small pool of examples that someone like you can possible cite. In this case, you cite one, I could cite thousands.

now, my turn, show me any 99% black or hispanic school that is above national averages in student achievement.
I believe according to a NYSED Report Card for 2015 or 2016, Green Tech Charter HS in Albany was 97% Black, all male and has a 86% graduation rate. To put this into perspective, the US hit an all time grad rate in 2015 of 83%. https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360094505946

https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000059776

School demographics now: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000059776

More: American High School Graduation Rates Reach All-Time High : NPR

Another example: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0b49df6aa5aaa

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM

628 posts, read 545,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe according to a NYSED Report Card for 2015 or 2016, Green Tech Charter HS in Albany was 97% Black, all male and has a 86% graduation rate. To put this into perspective, the US hit an all time grad rate in 2015 of 83%. https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360094505946

https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000059776

School demographics now: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000059776

More: American High School Graduation Rates Reach All-Time High : NPR

Another example: https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0b49df6aa5aaa

I appreciate what you are trying to do and I admittedly came off harsher than intended in my previous post. But, these are not good examples for a couple of reasons:
1. both are charters not public schools. How were these students admitted? Potentially, they are not the general population and where all above average students when they were selected for these schools.
2. Illinois school had 100% attend college. this is hardly impressive considering that it is a fact that colleges lower admission standards in order to recruit blacks, and not just by a small measure, it is shocking to see how low colleges are willing to put their standards in order to get a "diverse" class.
3. Albany school: went from 110 in freshman class to 66 in senior. this should tell you something right there.

Again, not trying to be harsh here, I just get frustrated with racist affirmative action policies and the "we are all equal" mentality that liberals force down everyone's throat.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,854,857 times
Quote:
I appreciate what you are trying to do and I admittedly came off harsher than intended in my previous post. But, these are not good examples for a couple of reasons:
1. both are charters not public schools. How were these students admitted? Potentially, they are not the general population and where all above average students when they were selected for these schools.
2. Illinois school had 100% attend college. this is hardly impressive considering that it is a fact that colleges lower admission standards in order to recruit blacks, and not just by a small measure, it is shocking to see how low colleges are willing to put their standards in order to get a "diverse" class.
3. Albany school: went from 110 in freshman class to 66 in senior. this should tell you something right there.

Again, not trying to be harsh here, I just get frustrated with racist affirmative action policies and the "we are all equal" mentality that liberals force down everyone's throat.
Green tech high school - like most charter schools in NY state - is a public high school. Its just not a traditional public school. Most of the kids are low income minorities. In NYC the charter school system has entry simply based on lottery. I can't comment on green tech - but its open to low income students - not selected wealthy students.

Green Tech, and all the minority-majority charter schools like Success Academy in NY city which outperforms (on ELA, math, graduation rate, and teacher attendance) the traditional schools are a huge argument for giving minority parents more options in the type of school they send their kids too - zip code isn't fate. However, entrenched and concreted union interests, and their facilitators even in places like the NAACP (!) - seek to scuttle charter schools because its reduces their political NYS hegemony and challenges their base's dogma.

Nevertheless - low income minority parents are voting with their feet - hence the minority-heavy waiting lists at NYC charter schools. Some kids do better in a differently structured school - and there should be choices in schools reflecting that.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 AM

47 posts, read 37,553 times
Quote:
The problem when someone attempts to "argue the periphery"
The richest school districts tend to be majority white, but it certainly does not follow that the whitest school districts will be the best. Quite the contrary.

The whitest counties in the US are generally in impoverished rural areas, whereas the best school districts exist where the professional elite live. And this is 2017, the professional elite are composed of all ethnicities. Harrison is 77% white, Scarsdale 82%, the other top WC school districts <90%, and that number is steadily decreasing over time.

Contrast that to lower-performing rural NY districts with >95% white demographics.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 51,792 times
Wow, guys.. please don't feed the troll. How has anyone not noticed that monty has yet to respond to anyone who has offered constructive advice.. The incendiary tone of these last few responses make it all but clear he has an agenda. Again, please don't feed the troll.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:02 PM

3,569 posts, read 985,455 times
Quote:
Currently living in a very diverse area that is struggling with crime and poor school achievement. Looking to relocate, would like to be by people like me (white and catholic) which town would be best. Thanks.

Incredible this thread hasn't been removed.

If you think whites and catholics don't commit crimes, you are quite mistaken.

Frankly, your question is offensive and racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or