Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 12,701 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We've just moved to the US from Australia and are considering buying a single family home around the low $1m's price mark. We very much like Larchmont and are looking in this area, although the housing stock seems a little limited currently. I also appreciate that Spring is usually the busier time of the year.

Another area we have started looking at is the Rye Neck as it appears that perhaps you can get slightly more for your money? We would appreciate any views on how this area compares vs Larchmont in terms of school quality, activities for children, community feel, safety etc. Or anything else you think we should be aware of around that area?

Also just wondering why there is such a price discrepancy if you live in Shore Acres vs say around Florence Street Park just north of Boston Post Rd given it's the same school district?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times
Rye Neck and Mamaroneck/Larchmont schools are very comparable, but Rye Neck is a MUCH smaller district, so the number of children per grade is far more limited. Pro's and con's to this and FWIW my wife and I chose Larchmont because we preferred a larger district.

Another issue is that a lot of homes in Rye Neck seemed to be in flood zones, which requires expensive flood insurance. Plenty of homes in Larchmont also require such insurance, but it seems to be more rare.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv1 View Post
Hello everyone,

We've just moved to the US from Australia and are considering buying a single family home around the low $1m's price mark. We very much like Larchmont and are looking in this area, although the housing stock seems a little limited currently. I also appreciate that Spring is usually the busier time of the year.

Another area we have started looking at is the Rye Neck as it appears that perhaps you can get slightly more for your money? We would appreciate any views on how this area compares vs Larchmont in terms of school quality, activities for children, community feel, safety etc. Or anything else you think we should be aware of around that area?

Also just wondering why there is such a price discrepancy if you live in Shore Acres vs say around Florence Street Park just north of Boston Post Rd given it's the same school district?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Shore Acres is closer to the sound with larger lot sizes and less busy, and has more mature trees on the streets. hence the prices tend to be higher (and the houses are often larger). No real difference other than that.
The Rye Neck community is very safe. If you want to compare the schools there are many sites that compare them (Larchmont is in the Mamaroneck school district so you need to compare Mamaroneck and Rye Neck districts), but the differences are mostly minimal. As has been pointed out, the Rye Neck district is much smaller than Mamaroneck/Larchmont - for example the high school is about 1/3rd the size. People have different preferences regarding high school size. There is a lot of community feel due to shared events, parades, street parties, sports leagues etc. But as with moving anywhere, to get in to the community you have to put yourself out there in the first year or so - often easier to do when you have kids as an excuse.

Both school districts seem to have a lot of expats kids for sure.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:06 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,962 times
I live in the Rye Neck school district. I have a son who is going into first grade. If you have any questions, please ask. I was extremely happy with my sons first year.
Shore Acres section is close to the sound, has its own beach/pool/boating club. Houses tend to sell for over a million in that area. The section near Florence houses tend to sell between 650-900 (I would estimate). Florence itself is a busy street. We love the area. There are many village activities that my kids enjoy.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,065 times
In my experience, wherever you live you will still find yourself traveling back and forth in the "corridor" between Larchmont and Rye. Music lessons in Larchmont, taekwondo in Harrison, swimming in Rye... etc. You can't go wrong with either school district, so it should depend on the house and the neighborhood really, and your preference for a larger or smaller school district. Larchmont is very walkable (sidewalks!) which a lot of people like. Rye Neck is between Mamaroneck and Rye (duh) and convenient to either but generally less walkable. There are tons of expats in this area, and tons of community events and activities for kids. You will be fine in either area!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,701 times
Thank you all for providing the reassuring feedback which is helpful. Your comment regarding traveling the 'corridor' resonate with what we've heard from other people.

We went to see a property today on Soundview Ave in Shores Acres. It was great except once we stepped into the garden, we were literally covered by mosquitos within seconds, never quite experienced anything else it. Just to put it in perspective, I was outside for about 2 mins and was bitten 5-6 times and had maybe 2 dozen mosquitos on me. The property was backing onto the creek that overlooks the sound. Just wondering whether this is simply to be expected if you are close to the creek with still water or whether this is just the time of the year. Of course the agent said is was just during August and it is a lot better but I'm not convinced. Surely everyone that lives along there can't be putting up with that? I assume you can probably spray something to deter them but wonder how effective that would be. Has anyone else experienced anything else this?

Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times
Mosquitoes are an enormous problem in some parts of Rye Neck, and ditto for Larchmont. We lived in White Plains for 8 years and never had a problem, and almost immediately upon moving to the Sound Shore we noticed a huge uptick in mosquito bites. Some people pay to have their backyards sprayed, with varying success.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,065 times
Our backyard (we're in Orienta in Mamaroneck) was unusable until we started spraying with Mosquito Squad. I think it's just the area. Lots of water around. The spraying works really well for the most part, although last year it didn't for some reason. People in Harrison and New Rochelle said the same thing about last summer. Not sure why. This year is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County