U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 07:59 AM

8 posts, read 5,879 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering the move to Westchester next year (we currently live in the UWS) but worry about us both commuting into the city. We worry about getting stranded in Manhattan with train issues or getting home too late to enjoy dinner with our kids if there are delays. I'm a software engineer who works in FiDi and my wife will be an attorney working in a building attached to Grand Central. We have two school aged children from her previous marriage and plan to expand our family soon. Is there are market for software engineers in Westchester? I'm also considering remote work.

The idea of having a house where the boys can run around without us worrying about the neighbors and our boys having the freedom to play outside without us is very appealing to us. My wife and I both grew up in the burbs and never thought city life was going to be it for us. However, our boys are in great gifted and talented programs and are almost old enough to explore the city on their own (they are 11 and 9). So, a double commute might kill our desire to move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 AM

788 posts, read 701,569 times
Doubt its a huge market, just focus on the towns with the best commutes. Pelham and Bronxville (31-35 min train ride) come to mind, if your budget allows. Your wife working in Grand Central makes a big difference, FIDI makes the commute worse but not intolerable compared to the UWS.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM

1,118 posts, read 639,611 times
I'm currently a software developer working in lower Manhattan (WTC area) and living in lower Westchester. I can only speak to the Hudson line, but if it's any consolation, the delays around Metro North tend to be few and far between and usually associated with poor weather conditions like hail or snow accumulation on the tracks. Occasionally you will experience a several minute delay getting into or out of Grand Central, but for the most part my main delays occur on the 4/5/6 going downtown (which I'm guessing you experience anyway in your current commute).

I'm not sure of your area of expertise in IT or preference, but having done some half-hearted job searching myself, there are a number of companies in Westchester who frequently hire developers. Off the top of my head, there's New York Life, IBM in Yorktown Heights, PepsiCo in White Plains, a number of large Pharmaceuticals, etc. Of course, the selection won't be the same as you may find in Manhattan, but if you're open to working for a smaller company and don't work with a particularly niche technology, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something. That said, even having your office near GCT in Midtown somewhere would significantly lessen your commute from Westchester. Personally, I waste most of my time in the GCT-to-Subway transfer - walk - to- office process, so it ends up being about 1.5 hrs door to door from Westchester to WTC.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 PM

307 posts, read 612,939 times
Not sure what kind of work you do exactly, but look for jobs in Greenwich
CT. There are a lot of hedge funds and financial companies there and it's a quick drive from a lot of areas in Westchester.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 PM

15 posts, read 12,910 times
I can't speak much about job opportunities, though NYC is a big city and there is almost always a fit for everyone. Lower Westchester especially the river towns sound like the perfect housing situation to raise your family. Enough space for the kids to run and play outside in very safe neighborhoods. Plenty of neighborhoods with fantastic school systems as your children get older. You can have the privacy of a suburb while still having a convenient train ride commute to the city. Lower Westchester is so popular because it really has all the best amenities for a young growing family.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:18 PM

46 posts, read 71,425 times
Few firms such as Master Card, IBM could be ones where there might be IT roles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or