U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 PM

307 posts, read 237,380 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone knows about the legalities of renting out rooms/basement on airbnb in Westchester. My neighbor is doing this and has new guests just about every night. Seem to be mostly single men from what I have seen. Our homes are close together and guests have access to the yard. I am not happy about the whole situation. We live in a beautiful, residential neighborhood, where kids ride their bikes and play ball in the street. I am hoping there is some regulation regarding this. Shouldn't be allowed. Paid too much for my home and in taxes to live next to a motel.

Last edited by jego914; 08-10-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM

10,410 posts, read 10,906,784 times
Check with your town/village to see what's the rule. If not restricted he has much rights to use his home as he sees fit, you make no mention that there has been anything inappropriate by him or his guests. Regardless what you paid/pay over time will probally finds neighbors visiting family and friends create more problems than an occasional Airbnb guest.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 08-10-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't mind if it was occasional. But this just started this month and there have been at least 15-20 guests. Every day. The rate per night is very low. At least my neighbors know who their friends and family guests are....these are complete strangers. But thanks for the input.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM

10,410 posts, read 10,906,784 times
When you find out let us know, I know NY has some draconian laws when it comes to things that every other state allows.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 AM

890 posts, read 880,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows about the legalities of renting out rooms/basement on airbnb in Westchester. My neighbor is doing this and has new guests just about every night. Seem to be mostly single men from what I have seen. Our homes are close together and guests have access to the yard. I am not happy about the whole situation. We live in a beautiful, residential neighborhood, where kids ride their bikes and play ball in the street. I am hoping there is some regulation regarding this. Shouldn't be allowed. Paid too much for my home and in taxes to live next to a motel.
Outside of New York City, most airbnbs are legal. The issue in NYC is there are vastly different housing rules for rentals than homes, while most other towns and cities have a single set of guidelines and if you home is up to code to live in, its fine to rent. The State law on transient housing makes it illegal to rent a bedroom for under 30 days unless the owner also lives on the premises. You have to understand, renting out a room in your house is an ancient practice employed throughout the state for far longed than NY has been a state. This is a long standing and legal custom and practice. That someone came up with an idea to make it easier to find such housing does not change that most areas want this to be legal. While your neighbor may get in trouble for not paying the couple of bucks in tax she probably owes if you report her, its just a fine and then she would need to add a few bucks to the rental fees to cover the tax. Plus, if its the first time they would likely just work with her to pay the tax and move forward. Your best bet is to take it up with your local town attorney and try to get a law passed if there is not one already, but your town may actually like this. As long as she pays the taxes, its good business.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM

What makes an apt "illegal"? He told me a while back that he makes good money off his tenant (who left, hence the airbnb) and he hopes the town never finds out, cause it's not a "legal" unit? Would much rather he get a tenant in there rather than random people showing up every night. How can this motel type setup be legal, but him having a long term tenant in there be "illegal". I believe the area was an add-on, done with no permits. That is what I assume he meant when he said it was not legal. Yes, guess I should contact the town. I know other neighbors have already done so. Have not heard the outcome though. Thx for the replies!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM

890 posts, read 880,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
What makes an apt "illegal"? He told me a while back that he makes good money off his tenant (who left, hence the airbnb) and he hopes the town never finds out, cause it's not a "legal" unit? Would much rather he get a tenant in there rather than random people showing up every night. How can this motel type setup be legal, but him having a long term tenant in there be "illegal". I believe the area was an add-on, done with no permits. That is what I assume he meant when he said it was not legal. Yes, guess I should contact the town. I know other neighbors have already done so. Have not heard the outcome though. Thx for the replies!
Many towns do have strict rules on accessory apartments, meaning an apartment within an existing home. I think your best bet is to call the town and let them handle it. If it is making you uncomfortable, at least yo will learn if it is illegal and what you can do. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or