U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 13,759 times

Advertisements

My boss is thinking about moving to Mt. Vernon and wanted to know what the commute is like into Midtown at 8:30am by car...can anyone help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 06:11 PM

100 posts, read 611,887 times
Dear scox,

For your boss' sake, please advise him NOT to move to Mount Vernon. Mt. Vernon is a S**thole with high crime and poverty. The city constantly goes bankrupt. Its possibly worse than Brentwood on Long Island. The school system also is horrible, and Mt. Vernon is notorious for gang violence

But if he must live there then I suggest living in the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon, which is more like a neighborhood with nice houses, and certainly more civilized than the rest of that god forsaken city.

Yes Mt. Vernon borders the Bronx so it should be a quick commute into NYC. THe major backup I see is on the FDR.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:44 AM

100 posts, read 611,887 times
Hello????

The only decent area is Fleetwood. Just because I dont live there does not mean I do not know about it. It is notorious for gang violence and urban decay. Nobody in the county or who knows one tid-bit about the Vern will tell you the same thing.

I have been throught it as well. I have not seen more run-down neighborhoods.

Decreasing? Says who? The place turns into a bigger landfill by the day. And surely the police (some of the lowest paid in all the county) are all the more willing to put in the extra effort.Have you heard the news of the various armed robberies in the area?

You are doing this poor man a great disservice by refusing to acknowledge that the city is in shambles and needs a dramatic change. It is well known throughout Westchester that this is fact.

If we were talking Yonkers, I would give the city the benefit of the doubt. Despite all your pride in the Vern it ain't going anywhere but south.

I stand by what I said. Learn some responsibility and do not steer this poor man into the dump called Mt. Vernon.

Last edited by brahmos; 01-05-2007 at 01:59 AM..

Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 13,870 times
Default Mount Vernon is pretty cool

Mount Vernon consistently has a surplus in its city budget. FY 05 it was more than $8.5M thanks to the fiscally conservative measures of an excellent city comptroller. I do not know where Brahmos is getting his information from, but he is ignorant to that salient fact.

Mount Vernon is a community with more than 98 different nationalities. It has its share of impoverished neighborhoods, but it is balanced with many more middle and upper middle class communities as well. It is a place known for its tolerance, as evidenced that when other communities freely participated in urban removal, MV accepted the bulk of the displaced (read poor) people from White Plains and New Rochelle. The city prides itself as being the only place that consistently provides affordable housing in westchester. It also has several market-rate higher density housing projects on the boards.

The school system has a great deal of challenges. However note it has three National Blue Ribbon Elementary Schools of Excellence- more than any other community in Westchester. Every public school has a new media arts center and library. Mount Vernon High School has over 100 electives, including 5 AP classes.

As for gangs, there are four identified gangs that have presence in the city. However, Westchester County recently had a gang summit, and there were more than 100 gangs identified as having a presence THROUGHOUT the county- including Rye, Mamaroneck, White Plains and other affluent communities and it transcends race, and class. No one is immune to crime I am afraid.

MV has THREE metro-north stations, and access to two subway stations in the Bronx. The commute to New York is a breeze, all of 25 mins on the train. It has impeccable highway access. Another plus is that there is a great recreational tennis center, an ice hockey rink, a several new retail areas. It is also very close to Stamford and White Plains.

MV is also noted for having a number of local celebrities who call it home from Broadway (a recent Tony award winner), television news (two anchors) and an Emmy Award Winning actress. Dick Clark, Art Carney, Denzel Washington, Anne Bancroft, and Sidney Poitier are all former MV residents.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 AM

411 posts, read 1,551,360 times
I wouldn't live in Mt. Vernon if someone gave me a free house. It's a pit.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,379 times
All of these replies on Mount Vernon suck! Anything is better than the Bronx. I am moving to Mount Vernon regardless. I will continue to do my research about Mount Vernon without anyone's help.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 17,379 times
You suck BIGTIME!! You heathen

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 PM

17,931 posts, read 22,697,152 times
I just spent the week in Fleetwood. Awesome neighborhood. It is actually better than it was 20 years ago. You can have your up-county snobbery and country club lifestyle all cloistered up in your McMansions only going outside for the brief moment it takes to dash into your Mercedes and b*tch about how the other mothers raise their brats or how their yard looks. Meanwhile Fleetwood enjoys some of the best restaurants and most walkable neighborhood in Westchester.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM

10,842 posts, read 17,617,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just spent the week in Fleetwood. Awesome neighborhood. It is actually better than it was 20 years ago. You can have your up-county snobbery and country club lifestyle all cloistered up in your McMansions only going outside for the brief moment it takes to dash into your Mercedes and b*tch about how the other mothers raise their brats or how their yard looks. Meanwhile Fleetwood enjoys some of the best restaurants and most walkable neighborhood in Westchester.
Thank you I couldn't say it any better.

I have lots of other posts good, bad and ugly about Mt. Vernon so I won't post it here, but the above says it well.

A shame that a years-old post has been bumped, but cest la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County