U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 PM
 
7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
Reputation: 3025

Advertisements

Shops losing sales to Amazon, Fresh Direct, etc. Aside from shuttered storefronts and blighted main streets, local governments are complaining that this could lead to higher taxes:

Westchester officials battle vacant downtown storefronts

Is there a path forward for these downtowns to survive?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 PM
 
12,270 posts, read 10,005,971 times
Reputation: 8048
Amazon gets blamed for too much.

Take Mt Kisco and Larchmont. Both are affluent communities with strolIable downtowns and vacant storefronts . Cosi closed a sucessful store in Mt Kisco after a 15 year run and the popular Jersey Mikes Subs after two years. I suspect a lot of the closures in Mount Kisco are lease hikes, because whole buildings abruptly lose their storefront businesses. Larchmont has lease hike issues but also generational changes with people retiring.

I suspect there are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who would love to open a store...we looked into it very seriously and finally passed. If community leaders want to revitalize downtowns they need to ease up on property taxes which building owners pass on in their leases and quit blaming Amazon. Store owners need to be smart and offer quality products, not just stuff people can buy from Amazon at half the price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
9,289 posts, read 4,535,923 times
Reputation: 3977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Amazon gets blamed for too much.

Take Mt Kisco and Larchmont. Both are affluent communities with strolIable downtowns and vacant storefronts . Cosi closed a sucessful store in Mt Kisco after a 15 year run and the popular Jersey Mikes Subs after two years. I suspect a lot of the closures in Mount Kisco are lease hikes, because whole buildings abruptly lose their storefront businesses. Larchmont has lease hike issues but also generational changes with people retiring.

I suspect there are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who would love to open a store...we looked into it very seriously and finally passed. If community leaders want to revitalize downtowns they need to ease up on property taxes which building owners pass on in their leases and quit blaming Amazon. Store owners need to be smart and offer quality products, not just stuff people can buy from Amazon at half the price.
And in order to that, have to *raise* prices. Am here to tell you, places like Amazon exacerbate an already *bad situation*.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 02:43 AM
 
7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Amazon gets blamed for too much.

Take Mt Kisco and Larchmont. Both are affluent communities with strolIable downtowns and vacant storefronts . Cosi closed a sucessful store in Mt Kisco after a 15 year run and the popular Jersey Mikes Subs after two years. I suspect a lot of the closures in Mount Kisco are lease hikes, because whole buildings abruptly lose their storefront businesses. Larchmont has lease hike issues but also generational changes with people retiring.

I suspect there are a lot of entrepreneurs out there who would love to open a store...we looked into it very seriously and finally passed. If community leaders want to revitalize downtowns they need to ease up on property taxes which building owners pass on in their leases and quit blaming Amazon. Store owners need to be smart and offer quality products, not just stuff people can buy from Amazon at half the price.
If these are due to lease hikes, are there replacement tenants actually opening right away for every business that closes? Does not look like this is the case.

Also, if they ease on commercial property taxes, then that cost gets passed on to the home owners.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 2,974,478 times
Reputation: 1585
Then boycott Amazon.

Instead, go to a mall where you have to walk around for 15 minutes to find a sign, another 15 minutes to find a store, another 15 minutes to find the sporting goods section, another 15 minutes to look for workout shorts with zippered pockets before you give up and spend 4 seconds to buy it on Amazon and get it tomorrow for less and delivered for free.

Dunno but the stores I go to that sell stuff I want, WalMart, Target, Apple Store, are always crowded.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 10:06 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 2,974,478 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Then boycott Amazon.

Instead, go to a mall where you have to walk around for 15 minutes to find a sign, another 15 minutes to find a store, another 15 minutes to find the sporting goods section, another 15 minutes to look for workout shorts with zippered pockets before you give up and spend 4 seconds to buy it on Amazon and get it tomorrow for less and delivered for free.

Dunno but the stores I go to that sell stuff I want, WalMart, Target, Apple Store, are always crowded.
Just left Kohls. Expensive stuff I wouldn't buy if I were naked. Maybe a fleece from Columbia but I already have 11and could buy for 1/2 the price at Modell's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
10,402 posts, read 10,906,784 times
Reputation: 9892
Amazon is just the latest in a long blame game first it was the shopping centers and the malls then for quite a while it is Walmart, they have been blamed for every main street failure over the last 10 years or so it seems. I agree with supporting local business and do so when I can but when I look at the bulk of them they serve me no purpose and I go to a big box store. People today don't have a morning to walk and shop their lives are far more hectic they want to get in and get out and don't want to look for parking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 AM
 
7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Amazon is just the latest in a long blame game first it was the shopping centers and the malls then for quite a while it is Walmart, they have been blamed for every main street failure over the last 10 years or so it seems. I agree with supporting local business and do so when I can but when I look at the bulk of them they serve me no purpose and I go to a big box store. People today don't have a morning to walk and shop their lives are far more hectic they want to get in and get out and don't want to look for parking.
What the mayor of bronxville was alluding is that many of these municipalities' expense levels were based on getting some uplift from commercial taxes. Take that away and either spending eould have to be cut or residential taxes increased significantly and this is something that residents eere not prepared to face.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,350,652 times
Reputation: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Shops losing sales to Amazon, Fresh Direct, etc. Aside from shuttered storefronts and blighted main streets, local governments are complaining that this could lead to higher taxes:

Westchester officials battle vacant downtown storefronts

Is there a path forward for these downtowns to survive?
Yes, but it requires a type of agility and attention to detail that isn't all that common in the small business world.

On the retail front, just thinking about the handful of independent booksellers that still exist in the tri state area, they hold a very broad variety of book signings, child friendly events, and the like in order to continue to differentiate themselves. The toy stores that continue to operate are very carefully curating their selections to include items that can't be found on Amazon. Etc etc.

The walkable areas of town need to include ALL of the common services that can't easily be replicated by Amazon either - pharmacies, coffee houses, post offices, cafe, etc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 05:27 PM
 
7,049 posts, read 10,167,564 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The walkable areas of town need to include ALL of the common services that can't easily be replicated by Amazon either - pharmacies, coffee houses, post offices, cafe, etc
Some of these amenities are being eroded in one way or another, not always related to amazon. It seems like anything not related to offering sex (or the illusion of it) is fair game nowadays.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top