U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,941,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
Do you think this would force tax reform in Westchester? I've always thought our taxes are outrageous and we - collectively we in Westchester - rationalize the high taxes by thinking of good schools and services/amenities, but yikes!
Like a game of chicken who is going to blink first? Will the homeowners start selling to find more reasonable homes? Will the town/villages find constructive ways to reduce their costs? Will the schools budge an inch on anything?

I think the homeowners will lose, when you start talking cutting operating expenses for schools or local governments you are then talking union wages and they do not give an inch even if bankruptcy is looming, just ask General Motors...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM

47 posts, read 37,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Like a game of chicken who is going to blink first? Will the homeowners start selling to find more reasonable homes? Will the town/villages find constructive ways to reduce their costs? Will the schools budge an inch on anything?

I think the homeowners will lose, when you start talking cutting operating expenses for schools or local governments you are then talking union wages and they do not give an inch even if bankruptcy is looming, just ask General Motors...
Won't the property tax cap put school boards and local govs in impossible positions though?

Values and assessments on homes over 500K will likely fall 15% as effective cost of owning say a 700K-1mil+ home increases by 10-20%, possibly snowballing as buyers have less incentive to move from city, so fewer buyers, and then local revenues decrease, causing school districts to be less desirable?

Nomatter what local governments do, its a lose lose for many/most WC homeowners.

Just so we are keeping track, GOP Tax Plan, IF PASSED, will be a triple whammy:

1. Eliminate State and Local Tax Deduction

2. Cap Property Tax Deduction at 10K/year

3. Cap Home Mortgage Deduction at 500K on new sales starting yesterday, 11/2/2017.

Not sure there is any way for WC-ers to fight these proposals, other than call and email NY's GOP Congressional Reps (Peter King, Lee Zeldin, Dan Donovan, John Faso, Elise Stefanik, Claudia Tenney, Tom Reed, John Katko, Chris Collins) and urge them not to betray their state and districts.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins;50019831[B
]Won't the property tax cap put school boards and local govs in impossible positions though?
[/b]
Values and assessments on homes over 500K will likely fall 15% as effective cost of owning say a 700K-1mil+ home increases by 10-20%, possibly snowballing as buyers have less incentive to move from city, so fewer buyers, and then local revenues decrease, causing school districts to be less desirable?

Nomatter what local governments do, its a lose lose for many/most WC homeowners.

Just so we are keeping track, GOP Tax Plan, IF PASSED, will be a triple whammy:

1. Eliminate State and Local Tax Deduction

2. Cap Property Tax Deduction at 10K/year

3. Cap Home Mortgage Deduction at 500K on new sales starting yesterday, 11/2/2017.

Not sure there is any way for WC-ers to fight these proposals, other than call and email NY's GOP Congressional Reps (Peter King, Lee Zeldin, Dan Donovan, John Faso, Elise Stefanik, Claudia Tenney, Tom Reed, John Katko, Chris Collins) and urge them not to betray their state and districts.
What impossible position? They will have to learn to manage within their budget, what that may mean is these exorbitant public sector union contracts will have to be revisited. Perhaps the age of the golden calf will be over, but don't you live with a budget and do without/wait until you can afford it? I hope your elected reps remember why they are their but like the union reps I have a feeling that they will be looking out for themselves first.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:28 PM

47 posts, read 37,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What impossible position?
Much of local spending is unfunded but legally mandated by Washington and Albany.

Unfunded Mandates | Citizens' Committee for an Effective Constitution

https://www.questia.com/article/1G1-...national-needs

Thus local governments and school boards are forced to raise and spend local money on matters they have no control over, but at the same time faced with declining local tax revenues if property values fall dramatically due to this cynically anti-blue-state-and-county GOP Tax Plan.

And they can't (nor am I saying they should) raise property tax rates- this on top of as you correctly mention, ever-increasing public pension/benefit/salary costs, could lead to "impossible situations," followed by municipal bankruptcies.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:53 PM

I am aware of unfunded mandates and their effect, as I said something will have to give and it may mean a restructuring of the town governments, how goods and services are provided and cutback in benefits. The mindset that taxes increasing is the only way is wrong as is "anti-blue state" rhetoric. Both sides need to step up and do the job they were elected to do this is not a one party problem or solution.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,530 times
I am (unfortunately) a resident of Westchester and I support eliminating the SALT deductions. It will hurt me greatly, but the federal government should not be subsidizing profligate spending in liberal states. It's that simple.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM

227 posts, read 244,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnyer View Post
I am (unfortunately) a resident of Westchester and I support eliminating the SALT deductions. It will hurt me greatly, but the federal government should not be subsidizing profligate spending in liberal states. It's that simple.
While I agree with the general idea of reducing unnecessary federal subsidies, the SALT deduction is currently the only offset to the massive subsidization of lower-income states by higher-income states. Even with the deduction, the subsidy is significant, and it only gets worse minus the SALT deduction. There is a long list of subsidies that the federal government makes to these states, and there is no chance of eliminating them.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,087,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
I moved 3 years ago. I love it here.

I hate taxes but our income allows us to pay for them. but even though we make more money that we've ever made, our lifestyle is squarely middle class. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to absorb two things:

- eliminating the deductibility of property taxes. I pay $35k per year in property taxes and it kills me.

- eliminating the deductibility of state income taxes. I pay also a very significant amount in state income taxes.

I estimate my tax bill would go up by $28k alone with Trumps plan. This will make Westchester unaffordable to me. Or I could "afford it" but eliminate saving for retirement.

How about others? Do you think this would force tax reform in Westchester? I've always thought our taxes are outrageous and we - collectively we in Westchester - rationalize the high taxes by thinking of good schools and services/amenities, but yikes!
Part of New York's tax issued can be laid on the incredibly inefficient governmental system in place. There are numerous overlapping jurisdictions, each with it's own bureaucracy and expenses ... each town with it's own school system and expensive administrative structure, even the smaller towns, and villages within towns within counties inside a state with a top heavy (and often corrupt) bureaucracy. You think you're paying for the best. In reality you are paying for somebody else's best and it usually is not the taxpayer's best. Roadways are poorly maintained and inadequate in many cases, and heavily populated areas have high crime rates while many of the less populated areas near the larger cities are overburdened with illegal aliens who pay next to no taxes for the services they take from the area's taxpayers.

The NYC areas have their heads so far up in blue clouds that they have no clue about what is really happening to them, and the provincial attitudes of many cause them to ignore the realities outside their own areas. I have known many New Yorkers who have never been West of the Hudson.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 AM

2,400 posts, read 5,384,153 times
There is no reason why teachers should get across-the-board pay increases. In the private sector, the people earning the lower wage in a job classification get a higher percentage increase while those earning the higher wage get a lower increase.

It's ridiculous. What are the increases now, 2%. So if you make 55K you get an $1,100 increases, but if you make 125K you get a $2,500 increase.

Play with numbers. Give the lower paid 3% and the higher paid 1%. And hopefully, come up with something that saves us abused taxpayers money.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM

2,400 posts, read 5,384,153 times
Please explain why we need so many police departments. All six villages in Greenburgh, which have very little crime, have police departments. And then Greenburgh has its own police department.

Tuckahoe, with 6,000 people in less than one square mile and little crime, has a police department. Eastchester could take that over tomorrow. No need for layoffs of cops. A few retire each year until you get down to the right amount. One chief, one administration. You would save well over $1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or