U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,297 posts, read 2,325,771 times
Reputation: 3133

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
I envy you. I wish I could fork lift my family and move out of NYS. Unfortunately at this time we cannot. I agree with you 100%. I live in an average house in northern Westchester County. Nothing spectacular and my taxes are $12k+

NYS is truly infested with a corrupt government. One day I hope things fall into place and we can get the hell out of this corrupt state.

I don't understand why I have to pay so much money in taxes...It's ridiculous!
Yeah, it is ridiculous but it's not just the taxes, it's your overall quality of life. Even though you're not quite ready yet. It's never too late to start planning for your future. Keep in mind that you'll need to do a lot of research in finding a place where you'd like to live. For me it was easy as I've always wanted to live in the southwest, Arizona in particular. So that's where my attention was focused. Before we moved it was almost as though we'd lived there. Just make sure you find a place that suits your needs politically and culturally. It makes no sense moving to a place and expecting or trying to change it to your liking. You really have to know what you're getting into. It's why things worked out so well for us. Arizona is where we truly belong. We're proud of our adopted state and proud to call it our home. As far as we're concerned there's just no place like it on the face of the earth.

You'll need to pick out several locations within the state you'd like to move to. Subscribe to their local newspapers where you'll read the good, the bad and the ugly. Some of it you'll just have to take with a grain of salt. Obviously you go to forums such as this one as we did too. You should contact different realtors in your prospective locations for relocation packages and get a feel for the housing and or rental market. Once you've zeroed in on a few communities plan on making several trips there. Once there, plan on driving all around the different communities and places that you'd like to shop at. Don't be shy and try to talk to some of the locals. You can strike up a conversation in a check out line or at a public event or park. Remember you're not there for a vacation, you're there to get a feel for the place.

The hardest part will be packing up and leaving all of your family, friends and everything that you were familiar with behind. Knowing that you may never return again. For some that may not be so easy. Me? I didn't care as I was so fed up with life in New York especially with the knowledge that New York would never change to my liking. I used to write letters to the paper and contact politicians ad nauseam. So much so that some even knew my name, including it's ex governor Pataki. All to no avail. It was an exercise in futility.

We'd been self employed working from home since 1995 after the company we'd both worked for packed up and moved down south due to the high cost of doing business in New York. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to us as it gave us an avenue to get the hell out of there. I would've liked to have moved then but getting my wife to leave was the hard part.

She finally relented to taking trips out here. That was all it took as she fell in love with Arizona and now too regrets not moving sooner. Oh well, at least we're here now, going on eight years. Neither one of us misses New York, not in the least and don't ever plan on returning, not even to visit.

I hope this information helps you out. I wish you the best of luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,297 posts, read 2,325,771 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_westchester View Post
Good point. He/she probably still misses the area.

I too am fed up with the ever increasing taxes and the high cost of living as are probably most people and I have concrete plans to move to FL over time. That said the NYC area is a great place to live - culture, people, jobs etc. and if and when I do move I will miss this place and keep coming back.

Hope the proposals being considered (payroll taxes instead of income tax and charities for education and health) move forward ... would make NY an even better place ... those who don't even itemize will get a benefit (on the income/payroll tax)
Not in the least. I'm very fortunate to have been able to choose where I want to live instead of being stuck where I hated it. I still have that freedom today. Although we'll never leave Arizona, it's provided us with everything that we could have ever wanted out of life.

A lot of you keep complaining about the ever increasing taxes and the high cost of living but you keep on electing the same people over and over again expecting different results.

I've made it part of my mission in life to fight against progressive Liberal social policies wherever they exist and rear their ugly heads. Hopefully I can convince people that think as I do to pack up and leave. As more people leave New York the weaker it becomes on the national stage. They've already lost two congressional seats and two electoral votes*. Still New York does have two Democrat senators and 29 congressional seats, 27 of which are Democrats. All of whom can have an affect on national policies. God forbid that someone like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Schumer or Gillibrand ever gets elected president and the entire nation becomes another New York State. Thank God for the electoral college! If it's any consolation I feel the same way about California and all the other "blue states" too. It's just that I've spent the greater part of my life in New York and it's that state's political situation that I'm most familiar with.

I see from reading your posts that you too are planning on leaving. I wouldn't if I were you, especially if you love New York and it's metropolitan area so much. After all if New York and all of the things you love about it are that great. You wouldn't even be contemplating moving in the first place? You're probably not going to find those things in Florida. In which case you may end up being miserable, especially if you expect Florida to change to your liking. Although with many New Yorker's moving there that may be possible, much to the dismay of native Floridians. I don't blame them, they were there first.

Quote:
*All 10 States Losing Congressional Seats Tilt Democratic
news.gallup.com/poll/145397/States-Losing-Congressional...
Each of the 10 states losing congressional seats as a result of the 2010 census ... of New York, for example, has ... if the electoral votes were divided based on the ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 2,976,003 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Not in the least. I'm very fortunate to have been able to choose where I want to live instead of being stuck where I hated it. I still have that freedom today. Although we'll never leave Arizona, it's provided us with everything that we could have ever wanted out of life.

A lot of you keep complaining about the ever increasing taxes and the high cost of living but you keep on electing the same people over and over again expecting different results.

I've made it part of my mission in life to fight against progressive Liberal social policies wherever they exist and rear their ugly heads. Hopefully I can convince people that think as I do to pack up and leave. As more people leave New York the weaker it becomes on the national stage. They've already lost two congressional seats and two electoral votes*. Still New York does have two Democrat senators and 29 congressional seats, 27 of which are Democrats. All of whom can have an affect on national policies. God forbid that someone like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Schumer or Gillibrand ever gets elected president and the entire nation becomes another New York State. Thank God for the electoral college! If it's any consolation I feel the same way about California and all the other "blue states" too. It's just that I've spent the greater part of my life in New York and it's that state's political situation that I'm most familiar with.

I see from reading your posts that you too are planning on leaving. I wouldn't if I were you, especially if you love New York and it's metropolitan area so much. After all if New York and all of the things you love about it are that great. You wouldn't even be contemplating moving in the first place? You're probably not going to find those things in Florida. In which case you may end up being miserable, especially if you expect Florida to change to your liking. Although with many New Yorker's moving there that may be possible, much to the dismay of native Floridians. I don't blame them, they were there first.
We actually like paying high RE taxes and high home prices. Keeps the riff raff out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Ashland, Oregon
328 posts, read 173,075 times
Reputation: 767
[quote=Ex New Yorker;50543072]So you're the arbiter of who can say what and where? You don't like what you read, so you accuse others of trolling, right? Typical of a Democrat, find any way to silence those whose opinions they don't like.



You moved from NY to a state that wants to run the Trump-pardoned Sheriff Joe Arpaio for US Senate and think NY is a 'god-awful state'?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,297 posts, read 2,325,771 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post

You moved from NY to a state that wants to run the Trump-pardoned Sheriff Joe Arpaio for US Senate and think NY is a 'god-awful state'?
The State of Arizona doesn't make decisions for Arpaio. That decision is left up to Arpaio alone. Anyone can choose to run for public office if they're so inclined to do so. He's not gonna' win anyway or even secure the Republican nomination. The State of Arizona also didn't elect Arpaio sheriff. The majority of Maricopa County residents elected him as their county sheriff. Whereas the majority of New York State residents elected Eliot Spitzer and David Paterson as their governor, both left in disgrace. Then there's New York's current governor Andrew Cuomo who's embroiled in his own scandal over the Moreland Commission when it's findings were getting too close to home.*

No, I moved from a state where people elect the likes of the Cuomo's, Schumer, Clinton, Shelly Silver, Eliot Spitzer, David Paterson, Dean Skelos etc. etc. a state that has a reputation for having thee most corrupt legislature in the country. That's the state that I moved out of. Arizona can't even come close to that record. Yeah, I do think New York is a God awful state. I see you moved outta' there too? Hypocrisy, much? You know what they say about people who live in glass houses? I guess you've thrown the first stone.

Quote:
The Many Faces of New York’s Political Scandals - The New ...
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/23/nyregion/...
Jul 22, 2014 · In the past decade, more than 30 current or former state officeholders in New York have been convicted of crimes, sanctioned or otherwise accused of ...

Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption - POLITICO ...
www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/how-new...
Politics. Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption. How the Empire State created such a toxic (and criminal) political culture.

Corrupt New York politicians just got some really bad news ...
nypost.com/2017/07/10/corrupt-new-york...
New York’s growing list of convicted politicians — including ex-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and former Senate Majority Leader Dean...

Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
http://www.politifact.com/new-york/s...s/2016/sep/19/...
Sep 18, 2016 · Lawmakers led away in handcuffs seem like clear signs of a corruption problem in New York ... New York has more corrupt officials ... New York political ...

How New York Became One Of The Most Corrupt States - NPR
www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/05/10/...
May 09, 2013 · Every month seems to bring news that another state official in New York is under indictment. Corruption can happen anywhere, but New York's political ...

New York's History of Political Corruption - NBC New York
www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Yorks-History...
Former Senate Republican Majority Leader Joseph Bruno's two-year prison sentence is the latest to join New York's list of high profile misconduct cases.

Troubled NY politicians: A list of arrests, scandals ...
//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...ist_of_arrests...
Jan 25, 2015 · In New York, 41 elected state ... She secretly recorded other politicians in a bid for ... Search for arrests by Syracuse and Central New York law ...
Quote:
David Paterson appointed Chair of NY State Democratic Party
nypost.com/2014/05/21/david-paterson-appointed...
ALBANY—Former Gov. David Paterson and all his baggage will now head the state Democratic Party. Gov. Cuomo made the announcement Wednesday as the State Dem....

NYPD: Woman accuses Eliot Spitzer of assault - CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/us/nyp...pitzer-alleged...
Feb 14, 2016 · New York police say they're investigating whether former Gov. Eliot Spitzer is tied to an alleged assault at the Plaza Hotel in Midtown Manhattan.

Eliot Spitzer - U.S. Governor - Biography.com
www.biography.com/people/eliot-spitzer-279076
Biography.com presents the life and career of former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer, who was forced to leave office due to a sex scandal.

Man files complaint, alleging ex-Gov. Eliot Spitzer ...
www.cbsnews.com/news/eliot-spitzer-complaint-man...
NEW YORK -- Detectives are looking into a man's claim that disgraced former Gov. Eliot Spitzer threatened to stab him during an irate interaction in a restaurant ...
Quote:
* The Moreland Commission on Public Corruption is Corrupt
morelandcommssiononpubliccorruption.blogspot.com
Part 1: Did Governor Cuomo’s “Moreland Commission to Investigate Public Corruption” Illegally Alter the Transcript of Witness Testimony to Protect Its Friends ...

Cuomo hires criminal lawyer over Moreland commission scandal ...
www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/preet-bharara...
Jul 31, 2014 · Gov. Cuomo has lawyered up as the scandal over the handling of his anti-corruption commission has grown, the Daily News has learned.

Moreland Commission | New York Post
nypost.com/tag/moreland-commission
Gov. Cuomo and his staff tampered with their anti-corruption commission to the point where panel members believed they were handcuffed, Moreland Commission ...

Cuomo’s Office Hobbled Ethics Inquiries by Moreland ...
www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/nyregion/governor...
Jul 22, 2014 · Leaders of the Moreland Commission, ... Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo set up a high-powered commission last summer to root out corruption in state politics.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-20-2018 at 08:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM
 
8 posts, read 9,197 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Not in the least. I'm very fortunate to have been able to choose where I want to live instead of being stuck where I hated it. I still have that freedom today. Although we'll never leave Arizona, it's provided us with everything that we could have ever wanted out of life.

A lot of you keep complaining about the ever increasing taxes and the high cost of living but you keep on electing the same people over and over again expecting different results.

I've made it part of my mission in life to fight against progressive Liberal social policies wherever they exist and rear their ugly heads. Hopefully I can convince people that think as I do to pack up and leave. As more people leave New York the weaker it becomes on the national stage. They've already lost two congressional seats and two electoral votes*. Still New York does have two Democrat senators and 29 congressional seats, 27 of which are Democrats. All of whom can have an affect on national policies. God forbid that someone like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Schumer or Gillibrand ever gets elected president and the entire nation becomes another New York State. Thank God for the electoral college! If it's any consolation I feel the same way about California and all the other "blue states" too. It's just that I've spent the greater part of my life in New York and it's that state's political situation that I'm most familiar with.

I see from reading your posts that you too are planning on leaving. I wouldn't if I were you, especially if you love New York and it's metropolitan area so much. After all if New York and all of the things you love about it are that great. You wouldn't even be contemplating moving in the first place? You're probably not going to find those things in Florida. In which case you may end up being miserable, especially if you expect Florida to change to your liking. Although with many New Yorker's moving there that may be possible, much to the dismay of native Floridians. I don't blame them, they were there first.
I am quite familiar with South Florida and there are plusses and minusses from lesser regulation and smaller government in addition to plusses and minusses in other areas. It is by no means a slam dunk but at some point in life it makes sense for me and my family. Even after I move I expect to have a condo in the city I love and that would be NYC ....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM
 
Location: New York
1,122 posts, read 639,611 times
Reputation: 2828
I grew up in Texas, lived there a number of years, moved to the Midwest for most of my childhood, went to college in another Midwest state, and eventually moved out East to NJ, now living in NY.

Long story short, I've lived in several regions of the US and, while I loathe the openness of political corruption and the high property taxes here in Westchester, I wouldn't move back to the Midwest or South anytime soon. I have come to accept these costs as a tax on wanting to live near and enjoy the amenities in a place like the NYC metro. If at any point these amenities no longer become worth it to me, I will probably move and likely it would be to the West Coast (California, Seattle) where I would expect to encounter similar issues. Forgetting the value of amenities, there's also the problem where in the industry I work in (technology) there's simply not enough high paying jobs in the Midwest states to justify the cost of living savings. However, I realize this may not be the same for everyone, and - all else being equal - a move off either Coast means a significant COL savings, even factoring in potentially lower salary. I tried to explain this to a recruiter from Salt Lake city once, the company was still trying to figure out why they couldn't hire anyone in San Francisco at the salary they were offering ... ultimately, the salary would have been attractive in Salt Lake, but would have barely covered rent in the Bay Area.

I assume others living here feel similarly, and consider that the overall benefits outweigh the downsides. Not to discourage civic involvement or anything, but I have to assume that the high taxes and political corruption here won't resolve itself anytime soon.

Last edited by vladlensky; 01-22-2018 at 08:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM
 
8 posts, read 9,197 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I grew up in Texas, lived there a number of years, moved to the Midwest for most of my childhood, went to college in another Midwest state, and eventually moved out East to NJ, now living in NY.

Long story short, I've lived in several regions of the US and, while I loathe the openness of political corruption and the high property taxes here in Westchester, I wouldn't move back to the Midwest or South anytime soon. I have come to accept these costs as a tax on wanting to live near and enjoy the amenities in a place like the NYC metro. If at any point these amenities no longer become worth it to me, I will probably move and likely it would be to the West Coast (California, Seattle) where I would expect to encounter similar issues. Forgetting the value of amenities, there's also the problem where in the industry I work in (technology) there's simply not enough high paying jobs in the Midwest states to justify the cost of living savings. However, I realize this may not be the same for everyone, and - all else being equal - a move off either Coast means a significant COL savings, even factoring in potentially lower salary. I tried to explain this to a recruiter from Salt Lake city once, the company was still trying to figure out why they couldn't hire anyone in San Francisco at the salary they were offering ... ultimately, the salary would have been attractive in Salt Lake, but would have barely covered rent in the Bay Area.

I assume others living here feel similarly, and consider that the overall benefits outweigh the downsides. Not to discourage civic involvement or anything, but I have to assume that the high taxes and political corruption here won't resolve itself anytime soon.
I agree. What keeps me (and likely others) here above all are the career opportunities. A place like Arizona or even something more desirable like Colorado or Utah would not have those kinds of opportunities and one would likely earn significantly less there.

Not sure the Southern states are free of political corruption but many/most of them have smaller government and less regulation and tax their citizens less, although some of that is starting to change. However, smaller government brings with it sub-par public services - poor policing, long response times for emergency services etc.

For the record I grew up in the Midwest and went to school in Boston and currently spend some time in FL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Ashland, Oregon
328 posts, read 173,075 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

No, I moved from a state where people elect the likes of the Cuomo's, Schumer, Clinton, Shelly Silver, Eliot Spitzer, David Paterson, Dean Skelos etc. etc. a state that has a reputation for having thee most corrupt legislature in the country. That's the state that I moved out of. Arizona can't even come close to that record. Yeah, I do think New York is a God awful state. I see you moved outta' there too? Hypocrisy, much? You know what they say about people who live in glass houses? I guess you've thrown the first stone.
We moved out of NY for my husband's job to CA. Then he retired and we moved to Oregon so our third daughter could finish high school and be near her sisters. Now all our family is here (or near enough) that a move back east is not possible. We did NOT leave NY because we hated it. If you hate it, fine. Yawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,297 posts, read 2,325,771 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_westchester View Post
I agree. What keeps me (and likely others) here above all are the career opportunities. A place like Arizona or even something more desirable like Colorado or Utah would not have those kinds of opportunities and one would likely earn significantly less there.

Not sure the Southern states are free of political corruption but many/most of them have smaller government and less regulation and tax their citizens less, although some of that is starting to change. However, smaller government brings with it sub-par public services - poor policing, long response times for emergency services etc.

For the record I grew up in the Midwest and went to school in Boston and currently spend some time in FL.
That's true to a certain extent. Obviously it will depend on what field you are in, your level of education, and the demand for those services. But that's true for just about every state. Every state has it's own economy. There are more job opportunities in Phoenix and Tucson than there are where we are. High tech industries in Arizona are aerospace, defense, advanced manufacturing and bio science-- Industries in Arizona - Key Sector Opportunities for Industries in AZ | Arizona Commerce Authority Being self employed and working from home, employment was never an issue for us.

Tourism and rightly so are big throughout the state as the landscape out here is second to none. RV'ing, hiking, off roading, horse back riding, hunting, recreational shooting and camping are ubiquitous. They are industries unto themselves. Arizona is also big on mining and agriculture. Copper, Citrus and Climate, the three "C's". We produce 65% of the nations copper. A lot of our rural towns are centered around the copper mines, livestock, dairy and agriculture. In between are miles and miles of desert. You can drive for hours and not see a single soul.

At one time New York State had a lot of manufacturing facilities that provided good jobs and opportunities for those without a college education. Granted, foreign competition has led to manufacturing's demise throughout the country. But so has competition from other states that have overall lower costs of doing business. Because of the loss of manufacturing along with those jobs that did not require a college education, there are parts of upstate New York that are an industrial wasteland. The job opportunities there are about as scarce as some of the most rural parts of most other states throughout the rest of the country. By all accounts they are still struggling.

The amount of money that a company has to pay it's employees to live in any given area adds significantly to their cost of doing business. When the company that both my wife and I worked for moved down south they offered us our jobs at half the pay we were making in New York. Had we moved with them we could have had a much nicer home in a much better neighborhood that's for sure. We had seriously looked into it and put as much effort and research into that as we did before choosing Arizona. However we both chose to accept the buyout and start our own home based business from scratch. Which turned out to be thee best decision we could have ever made. As it allowed us to live in the place of our choosing. I've always been enamored by the southwest so Arizona was an easy choice. We just had to find where.

Indeed the salaries are lower here in Arizona for a comparable job in the New York metro area. However the cost of living is substantially lower. $25 an hour in Arizona will get you more than if you'd earned $50 an hour in the New York metro area. The cost of health insurance alone was more than double along with a higher deductible. Property taxes about 8 times as high and for a home half the size we have out here. Our cost of utilities are about a third of what we were paying out there. Then there's all the peripheral costs that are passed on. Keeping in mind that businesses pass on all of their expenses down to the consumer.

Yeah, you're gonna' find sub-par public services in just about any rural town or out of the way places of any state. That's mostly due to logistics. Where we are we have all of the same wonderful services and emergency response times that New Yorker's love to brag about in order to justify their astronomical tax burden. The stranglehold that the public employee's and teacher's union's have on the legislature are responsible for New York's astronomical property tax burden. Not the quality of services that are provided

Governments from the local level on up are an absolute monopoly and a corrupt entity by their very nature. I'm sure every state has it's fair share, however New York State by all accounts is #1. I've provided enough reference as proof of that. I've found that political corruption and the astronomical costs of living associated with it go hand in hand. Someone has got to pay for all the back room deals and political payoffs involved. From public employee's and teacher's unions to private contractors bidding for public works contracts. There's always a politician(s) involved and the payoff's are huge for those politicians involved in closing those deals. The taxpayers paying the ultimate price.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-22-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top