U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,351,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
We moved out of NY for my husband's job to CA. Then he retired and we moved to Oregon so our third daughter could finish high school and be near her sisters. Now all our family is here (or near enough) that a move back east is not possible. We did NOT leave NY because we hated it. If you hate it, fine. Yawn.
Okay fine. But you ridiculed me for moving to Arizona because of Arpaio? You're not too condescending now are you? I pointed out along with proof of how corrupt New York's legislature and governorship is. You have no answer for that. What's the matter has the cat got your tongue? Yawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM

221 posts, read 453,593 times
High taxes in the Northeast are mostly based on COL not government corruption. Teachers in Westchester make 100k and teachers in Arizona make 50k.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM

48 posts, read 85,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Okay fine. But you ridiculed me for moving to Arizona because of Arpaio? You're not too condescending now are you? I pointed out along with proof of how corrupt New York's legislature and governorship is. You have no answer for that. What's the matter has the cat got your tongue? Yawn.
I guess Ex New Yorker is too busy reading about Arizona's corruption to have time to respond Study: Arizona most corrupt state in US - KTAR.com

Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
High taxes in the Northeast are mostly based on COL not government corruption. Teachers in Westchester make 100k and teachers in Arizona make 50k.
Well why do you think the cost of living is so high?

It's elected government officials that the municipal employees and teachers unions (AFSCME, CSEA, UFT) have to negotiate with for raises and benefits. It's no secret that New York's legislature is a wholly owned subsidiary of those unions. Unions, both public and private typically support Democrats and their insatiable demand for higher taxes. Who's chief beneficiaries are those of whom taxpayer dollars support.

I can't tell you how many ads that those particular unions have run supporting a particular candidate for public office. There's gotta' be a reason why? Those unions are not spending their members dues money for nothing. They expect to get something in return as they often do, depending if their candidate gets elected, which they often do. Hence the term "pay to play". Call it what you want. I call that corruption.

The problem in New York is that this problem has gotten too far outta' hand and has been going on for decades. So much so to the point that the cost of living in New York is prohibitively expensive to live there. Both the private and public sector have to pay their employees enough to eke out some semblance of a standard of living which only exacerbates the problem. When the cost of doing business and labor costs are too high the private sector can just pack up and leave. As many of them already have. Not so the public sector as the taxpayers will always be an endless resource of money that is ripe for the taking. Especially when you have public officials that are beholden to their every need. It's a vicious cycle of greed and corruption.

Unfortunately for New York, you've got the very wealthy who can well afford to live there in spite of the high tariff. The very poor who are dependent on government and pay very little if anything in taxes. And those in the middle who bear the brunt of it all and carry the lions share of the costs. Sure New York has a lot of high paying jobs which raise the cost of housing due to supply and demand. But not everyone is qualified for those jobs. College is not for everyone. You still need the trades.

Arizona and I'm guessing a lot of other states have the same problems but on a smaller scale. One things for sure is that 50k will get you a lot more than 100k in New York. That's just one of the reasons people retire to states that have a lower cost of living.

Fortunately for us and being self employed we've brought our New York income with us. But regardless of that I'd rather be spending our income and taxes supporting a state where I chose to live instead of one I couldn't wait to get out of.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2007 View Post
i guess ex new yorker is too busy reading about arizona's corruption to have time to respond study: Arizona most corrupt state in us - ktar.com
I guess you're wrong.
Quote:
our ruling

in her pitch for ethics reform, phillips said in a facebook post that "over the past decade in albany, more than 30 current and former state officeholders have been convicted, sanctioned or accused of wrongdoing — more than any other state."

she’s right. The analysis from the university of missouri researchers shows new york state has had more state lawmakers and statewide officials running afoul of the law. She could have gone further. the data shows new york state has led the nation in public corruption for decades.

we rate this claim as true.--http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/sep/19/elaine-phillips/new-york-has-been-most-corrupt-state-decades/
List of American state and local politicians convicted of crimes:--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_state_and_local_politicians_convi cted_of_crimes

2010–present
Quote:
arizona:
state senator frank antenori (r) convicted of trespassing. (2016)
state representative ceci velasquez (d) was convicted of theft.(2016)
state representative richard miranda (d) pleaded guilty to wire fraud and tax evasion. (2012)
state representative ben arredondo (d) was charged with bribery, fraud and extortion. He was sentenced to 18 months of house arrest. (2012)
state senator scott bundgaard (r) agreed to participate in domestic violence classes for six months after assaulting his girlfriend. (2011)
local
sheriff of maricopa county, arizona joe arpaio (r) was found guilty of criminal contempt of court for violating a court order regarding immigration enforcement. He was pardoned soon after by president donald trump (r) (2017)
nogales mayor octavio garcia von borstel (d) was arrested on fraud, theft and money laundering charges. He was ultimately convicted of bribery charges and received a three and a half year prison term. He was sentenced to seven years probation on the fraud charges. (2014)
4 Democrats 3 Republicans

Quote:
new york:
deputy majority leader of the senate tom libous (r) was convicted of lying to fbi. (2015)
speaker of the new york state assembly sheldon silver (d) convicted of federal corruption. (2015)
minority leader of the state senate john l. Sampson (d) was convicted of obstructing justice and making false statement. (2015)
majority leader of the state senate malcolm smith (d) was found guilty in federal court of conspiracy, wire fraud, bribery and extortion for trying to bribe a republican party official to let him onto the republican ballot in the 2013 new york city mayoral race. (2014)
state assemblywoman gabriela rosa (d) sentenced to a year in jail for entering into a sham marriage in order to gain u.s. Citizenship. (2014)
state assemblyman william boyland, jr. (d) convicted of bribery (2014)
state assemblyman eric stevenson (d) found guilty of bribery, conspiracy and other related charges. (2014)
state assemblyman nelson castro (d) convicted of perjury (2013)
state senator shirley huntley (d) convicted of mail fraud she was sentenced to one year and a day in prison. (2013)
state assemblyman vito j. Lopez (d) fined $330,000 after groping, intimidating and manipulating young female staffers. (2013)
majority leader of the state senate pedro espada jr. (d) on may 14, 2012, a federal jury found espada guilty of embezzling money from federally funded healthcare clinics, after 11 days of deliberation he was sentenced to five years in prison. (2012)
state senator vincent leibell (r) found guilty of felony bribery, tax evasion, and obstruction of justice charges related to $43,000 in cash kickbacks he took from 2003 to 2006. (2012)
state senator nicholas spano (r), spano pleaded guilty to a single count of tax evasion. He was sentenced to 12 to 18 months in federal prison. (2012)
new york state comptroller alan hevesi (d), was convicted on charges surrounding a "pay to play" scheme regarding the new york state pension fund, and was sentenced to 1–4 years. (2011)
state senator carl kruger (d) resigned his seat and pleaded guilty to charges of corruption and bribery. (2011)
state senator efrain gonzalez jr. (d) was convicted of fraud and embezzling $400,000 from the west bronx neighborhood association inc. And was sentenced to seven years in federal prison (2010)
state health commissioner antonia novello (r) pleaded guilty to depriving the taxpayers of $48,000 by making her staff do personal chores for her, such as taking her shopping and picking up her dry cleaning. Her plea deal called for 250 hours of community service at an albany health clinic, $22,500 in restitution and a $5,000 fine. (2009)
local
new york city council member ruben wills (d) convicted of fraud. (2017)
mayor of mount vernon ernie davis (d) was convicted on federal misdemeanor tax evasion. (2014)
new york city council member dan halloran (r) convicted of taking bribes and orchestrating payoffs. (2014)
new york city council member larry seabrook (d) on february 9, 2010, a federal grand jury indicted seabrook on 13 counts of money laundering, extortion, and fraud.[186] seabrook was convicted on 9 charges (2012).
President of the new york city council andrew stein (d) was convicted of tax evasion regarding a ponzi scheme (2010).
17 Democrats 5 Republicans

2000–2009
Quote:
arizona
corporation commissioner jim irvin (r) was found guilty of trying to influence a corporate bidding war and fined $60k.(2003)
1 Republican

Quote:
new york
state assemblyman anthony seminerio (d) pleaded guilty to taking large sums of money from hospitals through a consulting firm while still a member of the new york state assembly. His appeal was never heard but his conviction was abated due to death. (2009)
supreme court justice thomas j. Spargo (r), was convicted by a federal jury of attempted extortion and attempted soliciting of a bribe for pressuring a lawyer to give $10,000 to his defense fund. (2009)
state senator efrain gonzalez (d) was sentenced to 84 months (7 years) in prison, followed by two years supervised release, following pleading guilty to two conspiracy counts and two wire fraud counts. (2009)
state assemblyman brian mclaughlin (d) was arrested in 2008 and sentenced to ten years in prison for racketeering.(2009)
state senator hiram monserrate (d), convicted of one count of misdemeanor assault, and acquitted of two counts of felony assault and one other count of misdemeanor assault. (2009)
state senator diane gordon (d) was convicted of receiving bribes. (2008)
state assemblyman chris ortloff (r) while serving on the state parole board, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of online enticement of minors. He was sentenced to 150 months in federal prison (2008)
state assemblyman clarence norman jr. (d) was sentenced to 9 years in jail for falsifying records. (2005)
state assemblywoman gloria davis (d) was sentenced to 90 days in jail and five years probation for bribery. (2003)
state senator guy velella (r) was indicted for bribery and conspiracy for accepting at least $137,000 in exchange for steering public-works contracts to the paying parties. He ultimately pleaded guilty to one count and received a year in jail he served 182 days. (2002)
local
new york city councillor miguel martinez (d) pleaded guilty to three counts of conspiracy two days later. He admitted to stealing $106,000 that was for children's art programs and low-income housing.[408] he was convicted on three felonies, and was sentenced to five years in prison. (2009)
ny city councilman dennis p. Gallagher (r) resigned from office and pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a woman in his district office while he was intoxicated.(2007)
8 Democrats 4 Republicans

Man, you sure like to make me work. It looks as though New York beats Arizona by a long shot when it comes to corruption at least for those who have been convicted of it. There's a big difference between accusations, reporter's opinions and an actual conviction. I don't care what one Harvard study says or how they measure it. I might add that the Harvard study was according to reporter's opinions. I guess you won't agree with these statistics? But they are what they are and easily verifiable. I can assure you I didn't make them up.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-23-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 02:58 PM

48 posts, read 85,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I guess you're wrong.

List of American state and local politicians convicted of crimes:--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_state_and_local_politicians_convi cted_of_crimes

2010–present

4 Democrats 3 Republicans

17 Democrats 5 Republicans

2000–2009

1 Republican

8 Democrats 4 Republicans

Man, you sure like to make me work. It looks as though New York beats Arizona by a long shot when it comes to corruption at least for those who have been convicted of it. There's a big difference between accusations, reporter's opinions and an actual conviction. I don't care what one Harvard study says or how they measure it. I might add that the Harvard study was according to reporter's opinions. I guess you won't agree with these statistics? But they are what they are and easily verifiable. I can assure you I didn't make them up.

Bless your heart Ex New Yorker! I am happy to move on to another subject as we could be here for decades pointing out corrupt politicians from every state.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2007 View Post
Bless your heart Ex New Yorker! I am happy to move on to another subject as we could be here for decades pointing out corrupt politicians from every state.
Being that there's 50 states, I guess we could. If we were to include every municipality we could be here for centuries. That doesn't even include those who haven't been caught yet or those that have so far gotten away with it and will never get caught. Those we'll never know about and can only speculate. That's just one of the reasons why I'm not a big government kinda' guy. New York is a big government kinda' state. I just can't place my faith and trust in a criminal enterprise to be responsible stewards of taxpayer dollars or anything else for that matter.

Oh, by the way how's the weather out there?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-25-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 AM

326 posts, read 608,951 times
It's amazing how people move out of NY and put it down AFTER they made loads of money selling their home in NY to enable them to move elsewhere!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
It's amazing how people move out of NY and put it down AFTER they made loads of money selling their home in NY to enable them to move elsewhere!
It's amazing how some people make assumptions about people they don't even know.

When you take into consideration 30 years of making mortgage payments, paying property taxes and home maintenance. Not too many people make loads of money when they sell their home. Especially where we lived in Peekskill where it took us about three years to sell ours. People just did not want to put their children in Peekskill City Schools. Our neighborhood like many in Peekskill wasn't the greatest either. But it was the only place we could afford to own a home that was convenient to our jobs. Of which we both had to work in order to live in Westchester. It wasn't like "Leave it to Beaver". Living in New York State did not make us rich, I can assure you of that. The only real benefit of owning a home is that at least you'll have something tangible after it's paid off. By the time we paid our house off we couldn't afford the property taxes, health insurance and the astronomical costs of living in New York. Especially since we lost our jobs in manufacturing and had to start all over from scratch when we were in our mid 40's. Try doing that without a college education and skills that have now become obsolete.

Starting our own home based business and having our home paid off is what really allowed us to get the hell out of New York. It wasn't the selling of our home that allowed us to move elsewhere. It wasn't like: Whoopee! Now we're millionaire's! We can live off of all our new found wealth from the sale of our home and live happily ever after. We still had to buy another home and pay all of the costs to move. We barely broke even. However we did get a much nicer home in a much nicer neighborhood that's for sure. Oh yeah, we still have to work. But at least we are able to save and use about $18,000 a year as we see fit instead of going into that giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-28-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 05:21 PM

374 posts, read 184,700 times
Ex New Yorker

You hated NY and left. Fine. Plenty of people still live there and wouldn't dream of living elsewhere. You gave the world Sheriff Joe and we gave the world Donald Trump. Not much to be proud of, is there?

I personally enjoyed all the time I spent in AZ when our daughter lived there. If I didn't love greenery so much and the change of seasons, we might be there now.

I'm glad you found your Paradise in the land of sunshine, Saguaro and the Grand Canyon (and the heat and the dryness and Sheriff Joe-types). Many people find their paradise in Yankee Stadium, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Long Island coastline (and the taxes and the crowds and the Wall-Street types). You take the good with the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or