Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:43 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
BTW, for all you folks worried about the GOP tax bill, Westchester legislators just overrode Astorino's budget veto. And once Latimer gets in get ready to pay and pay.

From the Daily Voice -

"For the first time in eight years, property taxes will be increasing in Westchester County.

Legislators unanimously voted to override County Executive Rob Astorino's veto of their $1.8 billion 2018 budget, which carries a two percent increase in the property tax levy.

This is the first budget under Astorino, who was defeated for re-election in November, to have a tax increase."

Legislators Unanimously Override Astorino Budget Veto | New Rochelle Daily Voice

Westchester is getting screwed by both parties.
How can that possibly be? Say it ain't so? A Democrat raising taxes? They're supposed to be all for the middle class?

Since moving to Arizona we now have about $18,000 more a year of our disposable income to spend as we see fit instead of going into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments. $10,000 of that in property tax savings alone. The other $8,000 in utilities and fees. Guess what? We've got all the same wonderful public services that New Yorker's love to brag about in order to justify their astronomical costs of living.

Not to mention we are living in a much nicer home in a neighborhood that we could only dream about had we stayed in New York. Arizona being a "Red" state, how could that possibly be? When supposedly all the Republicans care about are the rich? I don't know about both parties? Maybe in New York where you have a bunch of Rino's. But certainly not out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:37 PM

263 posts, read 344,122 times
Hello all - OP here. Now that the darned thing has been passed m does anyone have a reliable calculator that we can use to see how things will look like for 2018?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:52 PM

49 posts, read 55,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Since moving to Arizona we now have about $18,000 more a year of our disposable income to spend as we see fit instead of going into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments.
If the NYC metro area were a country, it would have the 10th largest GDP in the world, $1.6 Trillion/yr. Many families live here because that's where the $ is.

Also, if Arizona is so great, why are you constantly trolling this board?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
so, per above property tax increase, is it official, or there has to be another vote?

does this mean all towns will have taxes increased 2%?

isn't this a death blow to the real estate market. and this isn't even taking into account whether the new trump tax plan is good/not good for RE sales..
The county tax increase might cost a typical itemizing WC family $200 to $600/yr, whereas the GOP tax bill SALT repeal could easily cost over $10,000/year.*

Also, the former at least partly funds WC services, whereas the latter goes to... what exactly? Primarily cutting the corp and pass-thu tax rates, which most big companies don't pay anything close to anyway, and at a time of record profits and stock valuations, and without simplifying the tax code whatsoever?

*(County taxes are a small portion of WC county homeowners tax bills. School, Village if applicable, and Town make up the lions share. So a 2% increase on 10% of your tax bill is just a 0.2% increase in your total tax bill. If your total property tax bill is $30,000/yr, 2% increase in the WC portion might cost you $600/yr. Whereas if your family income is $200,000/yr, the loss of your IRS deduction on that $30,000/yr property tax plus say another $13,000 in NYS income taxes (-$10,000 remaining property tax cap), would cost you more like $10,000/yr at the 28-33% tax bracket.)

Last edited by entropywins; 12-27-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 05:18 PM

132 posts, read 170,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
Hello all - OP here. Now that the darned thing has been passed m does anyone have a reliable calculator that we can use to see how things will look like for 2018?
This is the best estimate I've seen so far:
Tax Plan Calculator by Maxim Lott

It even includes a follow-on link to calculate the changes in AMT, that's the one thing most website calculators don't include. And if you're itemizing in Westchester you're almost certainly getting hit with AMT now and may or may not in 2018.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 PM

354 posts, read 776,138 times
I just did that calculator and it said if I switch to standard deduction instead of itemize i will save 10k next year. Sweet!

Old 12-28-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
If the NYC metro area were a country, it would have the 10th largest GDP in the world, $1.6 Trillion/yr. Many families live here because that's where the $ is.

Also, if Arizona is so great, why are you constantly trolling this board?
Ever hear of the 1st Amendment? I've got a right to express my opinions anywhere I please. Besides I've lived in your God awful state for most of my life, I want to remind people of how screwed up New York's state and local governments are. It's a subject I know very well. I want people to know that they can have a much better quality of life once they get the hell outta' there. Too bad you don't like it. Or are you just afraid to face the truth?

Just guessing, but I'll bet you're a Democrat? Democrats always like to place the blame on someone else for all of the problems of their own making. There's a reason why people are leaving New York State in droves. I'm one of them. You're just too afraid to face it. I've made it my mission in life no matter where I live to fight against progressive Liberal social policies wherever they rear their ugly head. I will continue to do so whether you approve of it or not.

Quote:
People are fleeing New York at an alarming rate
nypost.com/2017/04/01/people-are-fleeing-new...
More people are leaving the New York region than any other major metropolitan area in the country. More than 1 million people moved out of the New York area to...

Census: More People Leaving New York State - US News & World ...
www.usnews.com › News › Best States › New York News
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The population of New York state continues to shrink as people move out.

It's true: A lot of people are leaving New York | PolitiFact ...
http://www.politifact.com/new-york/s...s/2017/sep/29/...
Sep 28, 2017 · New York state’s population declined last year for the first time in a decade. State Republican Chairman Edward F. Cox blames the drop on Gov. Andrew M ...

Why Are So Many People Leaving New York? - The American Interest
www.the-american-interest.com/2015/12/29/why-are...
We can think of several reasons people might move out of New York—and Illinois, California, and Massachusetts.

More And More People Have Been Leaving New York, Census Says
gothamist.com/2017/04/03/crazy_people.php
Apr 02, 2017 · U.S. census records show that over 1 million people have abandoned the New York area since 2010.

Why Is Leaving New York the LatestTrend - How Money Walks
Why Is Leaving New York the Latest Trend? | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown...
While the Big Apple may still be a magnet for aspiring artists, culture-seekers, and starry-eyed twenty-somethings, leaving New York is the newest trend.

More And More People Have Been Leaving New York, Census Says
gothamist.com/2017/04/03/crazy_people.php
Apr 02, 2017 · U.S. census records show that over 1 million people have abandoned the New York area since 2010.

Quote:
The Many Faces of New York’s Political Scandals - The New ...
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/23/nyregion/...
Jul 22, 2014 · In the past decade, more than 30 current or former state officeholders in New York have been convicted of crimes, sanctioned or otherwise accused of ...

Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption - POLITICO ...
www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/05/how-new...
Politics. Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption. How the Empire State created such a toxic (and criminal) political culture.

Corrupt New York politicians just got some really bad news ...
nypost.com/2017/07/10/corrupt-new-york...
New York’s growing list of convicted politicians — including ex-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and former Senate Majority Leader Dean...

Yes, New York has more corrupt officials than any other state
http://www.politifact.com/new-york/s...s/2016/sep/19/...
Sep 18, 2016 · Lawmakers led away in handcuffs seem like clear signs of a corruption problem in New York ... New York has more corrupt officials ... New York political ...

How New York Became One Of The Most Corrupt States - NPR
www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/05/10/...
May 09, 2013 · Every month seems to bring news that another state official in New York is under indictment. Corruption can happen anywhere, but New York's political ...

New York's History of Political Corruption - NBC New York
www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Yorks-History...
Former Senate Republican Majority Leader Joseph Bruno's two-year prison sentence is the latest to join New York's list of high profile misconduct cases.

Troubled NY politicians: A list of arrests, scandals ...
//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...ist_of_arrests...
Jan 25, 2015 · In New York, 41 elected state ... She secretly recorded other politicians in a bid for ... Search for arrests by Syracuse and Central New York law ...
And you wonder why the cost of living and taxes are so high in New York? No, it's much easier to cry about Trump's proposals than to clean up what's been going on for decades in your own backyard. There is no reason in the world why it has to cost so much God damn money to live in your state. NONE! Especially when you claim you've got the 10th largest GDP in the world. Yeah, that's where the money is alright. Money that's ripe for the taking.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-28-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Ever hear of the 1st Amendment?
That doesn't apply to private internet forums, though. Mods can apply rules, such as no trolling.
Quote:
I want people to know that they can have a much better quality of life once they get the hell outta' there.
My point was, some people are tied to the NYC metro area for their jobs, and can't easily leave despite the high cost of living. Finance and FinTech, Publishing, Fashion, Media, local Real Estate- lots of huge industries are based in the NY-metro.

I agree, there are many nice places to live, I've lived in a bunch myself. Most including NYC have their pros and cons. Some have dirt cheap cost of living but no jobs or cultural amenities. Some like NY have world-class culture and jobs and amenities, but high cost of living. Some have such high levels of bigotry that minorities or mixed race families would be foolish to move there. Some are cheap and pleasant and low-tax, but have terrible schools and hurricanes.
Quote:
I've made it my mission in life no matter where I live to fight against progressive Liberal social policies wherever they rear their ugly head.
Albany is currently controlled by Republicans, and NYC had GOP mayors for 85% of the past 25 years.

As you note, NY's problems stem from corruption both in NYC and Albany, by members of both parties, rather than "progressive liberal social policies." Majority of NY Dems are as frustrated with this sort of stuff as you are, but also as powerless to stop it, short of perhaps a constitutional convention: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/n...ion-costs.html

Also, despite what Russian Psy-Ops would have us believe, this country is made of people, who have varying views not always in line 100% with a party platform. New Yorkers and Americans still have more riding on our common interest than not. Divided we fall.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
entropywins;50541904]That doesn't apply to private internet forums, though. Mods can apply rules, such as no trolling.
So you're the arbiter of who can say what and where? You don't like what you read, so you accuse others of trolling, right? Typical of a Democrat, find any way to silence those whose opinions they don't like.

Since this is a forum called Citi-Data there's no reason in the world that people who log in to read it should be denied hearing the opinions of both residents and former residents of any particular state or community. Just because I no longer live in New York doesn't mean that I am not familiar with that state and it's politics. After all I've spent the greater part of my life living in that God awful state. There may be people throughout the country who may be contemplating a move to New York who may be interested in hearing the opinions of former residents and their reasons for leaving.

Before I moved to Arizona I would log on to Citi-Data to use as another resource to gain information about Arizona. Utah and New Mexico were our second and third choices. You're damn right I wanted to hear the opinions of both current and former residents. Especially from former residents and especially their reasons for leaving. This can give you a good idea if any particular state is a good place for you. Not too hard to figure out now is it? I'll bet you never even gave that any thought?

For what it's worth not too many people are leaving Arizona as they are in New York. That was a good indication at least to us that people out here are generally happy living here. That was a major factor in choosing Arizona as a place to live.

As for New York's state legislature Republicans control the senate by a slim margin and have lost seats*. Democrats control the house by a large margin and the governorship. So don't give me this nonsense that Republicans control the state as that is a flat out lie and you know it. Maybe in the past did Republicans have some semblance of power in New York and indeed it has had it's share of Republican governors and Mayors of NYC but it has become solidly Democrat and a reliably "blue" state. Many Republican politicians in New York are "Rino's". Including it's former Governor Pataki who I've met and spoken to several times while he was Mayor of Peekskill.

Quote:
*Democrats hold a one-person majority in the state Senate, but the Republicans are in charge because one Democrat caucuses with the GOP. A rebel faction of five Democrats called the Independent Democratic Conference often aligns with Republicans.---https://www.wsj.com/articles/control-of-new-york-state-senate-could-hinge-on-nassau-county-races-1477962222

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-30-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 375,881 times
Quote:
How can that possibly be? Say it ain't so? A Democrat raising taxes? They're supposed to be all for the middle class?

Since moving to Arizona we now have about $18,000 more a year of our disposable income to spend as we see fit instead of going into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's state and local governments. $10,000 of that in property tax savings alone. The other $8,000 in utilities and fees. Guess what? We've got all the same wonderful public services that New Yorker's love to brag about in order to justify their astronomical costs of living.

Not to mention we are living in a much nicer home in a neighborhood that we could only dream about had we stayed in New York. Arizona being a "Red" state, how could that possibly be? When supposedly all the Republicans care about are the rich? I don't know about both parties? Maybe in New York where you have a bunch of Rino's. But certainly not out here.

I envy you. I wish I could fork lift my family and move out of NYS. Unfortunately at this time we cannot. I agree with you 100%. I live in an average house in northern Westchester County. Nothing spectacular and my taxes are $12k+

NYS is truly infested with a corrupt government. One day I hope things fall into place and we can get the hell out of this corrupt state.

I don't understand why I have to pay so much money in taxes...It's ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County