U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times

Advertisements

I'm moving my family to New York from Ohio and need some tips. We have 5 children and we want a VERY safe area. We can afford about 1500-2000 per month. We need to have a park nearby or something for the kids. We heard White Plains was nice. We need something close to downtown where everything is happening. What areas have houses? We'd prefer to rent a house, not an apt or condo. We can stay a bit further out if need be. Thanx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM

10,630 posts, read 17,968,673 times
How many bedrooms do you need for a "large family"? It's going to be really, really hard to rent a house on that budget. You might be able to find a small 2BR house.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just saw 5 children. I'm assuming you'd be looking for a 3 or 4BR. Just for an example of the cost to rent a house near White Plains:

BRAND NEW HOME for rent,garage,yard,5 min walk to train,38 min to NYC (broken link) (2BR/2BA for almost $3k).

You're going to either have to compromise on budget or location. You'd have to go wayyy farther north to get a house large enough for your family on that budget, or compromise on a "safe area". You can find something in more sketchy areas of New Rochelle/Yonkers for that price, but I wouldn't move to those areas with a family, especially if they'll be in public school.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,353 times
I highly recommend the Finger Lakes area. I live in Schuyler County, and have 3 children. I LOVE it. Small village, major malls, etc. 30 minutes away. Several parks, marinas, etc. close by, and always something to do.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 AM

967 posts, read 2,877,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You'd have to go wayyy farther north to get a house large enough for your family on that budget, or compromise on a "safe area".
Might want to try the area around (or in) Oneonta.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,829,644 times
Do you need to be near NYC? If so, you've got a challenge!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,307,557 times
if you are just picking an area in NY state and not the NYC area, look to WNY. I live 20+ miles out of Buffalo. You could rent a large house here for that price! There are brand new apts in my town on backing up to a state park which are 3BR/2-3BA for about $1100 -- that is extremely high.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,434,257 times
I think all of NY is vastly different from one area to the next. WHAT are you looking for? If you are looking for NYC it will be expensive and hard to find a home to meet the needs of a family of 5 if you don't have a large budget. If you are looking for something else... again it all depends... If you go way north- basically call yourself Canadian and deal with much harsher weather than the rest of the State... Central NY- Syracuse is a good Start. I live in W NY- Rochester. I think Rochester and Buffalo are a lot alike in what they have to offer. You can go much farther with your dollar in terms of home buying in these areas and still have great schools in the suburbs. I live on the East side of Rochester... I would suggest looking at Pittsford, Perinton, Penfield, Brighton, Fairport, Webster, Hilton, Greece- in Monroe County if you are looking for Western NY/Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County