Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 07:19 PM

192 posts, read 375,666 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

During our last winter snow storm which we had a few weeks ago. The Winter Cyclone I believe they called it, we lost power around my neighborhood for a almost 2 hours (Northern Westchester). After the power finally came back on some pressure built up in the pipes and the check valve release a whole bunch of water onto the floor. Long story short, the small tank on top of the furnace was bad, the pressure gate was bad and the check valve went bad.

I called my oil provider and had them come over to fix the issue. They replace that small tank, pressure gauge, and check release valve. The tech fired up the furnace, I put the heat on and all was well. I have heat up and down stairs. Checked the water and it was coming out nice and warm.

Now the problem is that I no longer have hot water. I have luke warm water all throughout the house. Shower, bathrooms, kitchen. I also notice the boiler room is not as warm as it used to be before the power outage.

Once in a while the water in the shower will come out much warmer for about a minute, but then it goes luke warm again.

Plumbing is not my thing, I don't know much about it, so I don't tinker with anything boiler or plumbing. This has been like this for about two weeks now. The shower water barely comes out warm now. But once in a while I will get a minute or so of nice very warm water.

I do have an annual maintenance contract with my oil company.

Before I call them back, I was wondering if anyone can possibly give me some ideas as to why this is now. As I mentioned before, the heat works perfectly fine throughout the house. It's just the barely warm water now...

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
I am going to take a guess that you make hot water off of your oil furnace, that said I would look at you hot water tank and identify the lines that go back to the furnace. Once verified ensure any valves in those lines weren't accidentally shut and not reopened when they fixed the furnace.

If you have a electric hot water heater ensure the breaker isn't tripped. Even though you are not servicing the equipment being familiar with how it works and what should be opened/closed will be a big benefit to you, good luck.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Yes, the hot water comes from the oil furnace. I checked everything and don't see anything shut off. I called my oil company this morning. They are coming out on Friday to see if something needs to be reset.

I will be getting an electric water heater sometime this year.

I will update in case someone ever runs into this issue.

Any other suggestions are also welcomed.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Separating the hot water is probably more energy efficient, any chance you have natural gas available in the house? That's the best way to go.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 AM

No, no natural gas in the house. My stove is electric. That's why I will be getting an electric water heater installed sometime this year.

I grew up with natural gas. This oil stuff is new to me.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:02 PM

Well good luck, but 2 days for them to come out and look when they were just there I still think they left something shut/off. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
I would recommend a water heater hooked up to your furnace. Not electric! (We have such high rates) you have the hot water in the tank, furnace only comes on to satisfy the heat requirement of the tank.
Or as another poster mentioned get a propane water heater. Of course you would need an external propane tank installed outside.
Whatever you decide, an independent plumber may cost less than your oil company to do the job.
��

Old 01-26-2018, 11:43 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,151,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I would recommend a water heater hooked up to your furnace. Not electric! (We have such high rates) you have the hot water in the tank, furnace only comes on to satisfy the heat requirement of the tank.
Or as another poster mentioned get a propane water heater. Of course you would need an external propane tank installed outside.
Whatever you decide, an independent plumber may cost less than your oil company to do the job.
��
If you can do, a double hung high-efficiency propane water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County