U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,155 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My spouse and I are looking to move to Peekskill (early 30s, no kids yet but are planning on them soon, and we don't plan to move once we buy, we are looking for a forever home) and would like to hear other people's thoughts about their EXPERIENCE in Peekskill (no heresay or assumptions/stereotypes, please). Every real estate agent tells us that Peekskill is "so hot" and that many young families and young couples are moving to Peekskill from New York. Is this true, or is it an overstatement? Do you see the area as changing at all, either for the better or worse? Also, I don't really understand what people mean when they are talking about "bad" schools. Can someone please explain what this means? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM

948 posts, read 960,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim94785 View Post
Hi everyone. My spouse and I are looking to move to Peekskill (early 30s, no kids yet but are planning on them soon, and we don't plan to move once we buy, we are looking for a forever home) and would like to hear other people's thoughts about their EXPERIENCE in Peekskill (no heresay or assumptions/stereotypes, please). Every real estate agent tells us that Peekskill is "so hot" and that many young families and young couples are moving to Peekskill from New York. Is this true, or is it an overstatement? Do you see the area as changing at all, either for the better or worse? Also, I don't really understand what people mean when they are talking about "bad" schools. Can someone please explain what this means? Thank you!
Peekskill is an amazing place to live, bu the schools are considered bad, which lowers home values. I do not see this feeling changing anytime soon, so if you plan to resell in the near future, it will impact what you get for your home.

Peekskill is as urban as it gets for the northern county, and the most urban area until you gt up to Poughkeepsie. By urban I mean high population density, diverse racial population, lower average incomes than the suburbs and lots of walkability. Peekskill has amazing restaurants, great shops and an amazing waterfront.

I live in Cortlandt, which surrounds Peekskill like a reverse letter "c." We go to Peekskill all the time, my kids have played Peekskill youth sports and we have amazing dear friends there. I cannot say whether Peekskill is hot, but I can tell you from zillow, that the real estate there is cheaper than other areas. As for whether the area is changing, I can say YES! I have lived there for nearly 20 years now. When we arrived, there were tons of closed storefronts and lots of houses that sat unkept. Now, the storefronts are mostly filled with great shops and places to eat/drink. the Paramount is booming with amazing shows, acts and talent on a weekly basis. The waterfront was revitalized and the summer concerts and various festivals are huge hits. We ride bikes/run along the waterfront one weekends when its warmer and all of us love it. The waterfront has turned from something I am nervous about to a place where I let my kids run around and ride their bikes a half mile ahead of me. The shops at the waterfront are especially amazing.

What is it that bothers people. Peekskill used to be a very white working class town. It used to have a large Irish, German and Italian population, which has changed dramatically in the past 75 years. It is now "minority majority."

The schools are more crowded that some surrounding schools like Lakeland, Croton, Somers , Yorktown ... and the test scores reflect this, but compared to most NYC schools, it is far better. Bad schools tends to mean population and test scores. Peekskill has issues with both.

I encourage you to look in Croton, Hendrik Hudson, Lakeland and Yorktown school areas also to see if they fit wha tyou want. Great areas and good schools. But do not discount Peekskill. It is an amazing town. If you have any other questions I can help with, let me know. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,211 times
^^^^ that pretty much sums it up. You really need to come up and see for yourself. There are a lot of great restaurants, the paramount the cool coffee shop across from the paramount. There are also a lot of South American eateries too, as well as high end Americana(the Hudson Room).
All the above is true, the schools aren't good, there are a lot of ppl on govt assistance .
We live about ten minutes from peekskill, we enjoy the good parts of it, but live elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM

800 posts, read 752,398 times
Eh be careful what real estate agents will tell you is "so hot." They have billed almost every river town from Tarrytown to Hudson as being "the next Brooklyn." Sometimes that's also code for the schools suck, but gentrification "may" occur in the future.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM

409 posts, read 333,297 times
Peekskill is fine if you are willing to send your kids to private school some day. The only other issue than the schools worth mentioning is the violent crime. Violent crime and street crime do exist in Peekskill (like most urban areas). People do get shot there and occasionally innocent victims get assaulted and robbed. These concerns are almost non-existant in the surrounding areas.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM

4,743 posts, read 2,514,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim94785 View Post
From one of my earlier posts about Peekskill in case you may not have read it:

Quote:
We lived in Peekskill for 20 years. It took us a long time to sell our home as most buyers did not want to put their children in the Peekskill City Schools. However you will get a lot more home for your money house wise than in many other parts of Westchester.

You may want to look in the Mortgage Hill (southern end) section of Peekskill. Most if not all of those homes are in the Hendrick Hudson School district. The neighborhoods there are pretty nice and away from all the riff-raff. The neighborhoods around Carhart Avenue, Frost Lane (Pataki Farm), Benefield Blvd aren't too bad except for the parkway noise. The neighborhood around Buena Vista and Oakwood Drive have some pretty nice homes and you won't have all the parkway noise but you'll still be in the Peekskill City School District. If your gonna' live in Peekskill try and find a neighborhood without any sidewalks. Although Union Avenue, Depew and Ringold Streets have sidewalks, that neighborhood is pretty nice. There are probably other decent neighborhoods too but those are the one's that I'm familiar with.

It really is a shame what happened to Peekskill as it is in a prime location along the Hudson River with some of the most beautiful old Victorian homes you could ever imagine. Unfortunately many have been neglected for a long time and turned into multi family units. Just about, if not all the neighborhoods that are close to downtown are very ghetto like and dilapidated. There's also an abundance of litter. Most of the crimes when we lived there were drug related. There was a major drug bust right in our own neighborhood about 3 years before we moved.

Indeed there is a significant amount of non-English speaking population, a lot of them are illegal invaders. During the last coupla' years that we lived there, as long time residents moved out the illegals started moving in turning single family homes into illegal apartments and along with that came all the noise. Volley ball games late into the night, drinking out on the street, public urination, vehicles racing up and down the street, hip hop blaring so loud it would rattle all the windows and of course littering, things like that. But if you choose the right neighborhood you'll avoid all that.

Peekskill was about the only place in Westchester where we could afford to buy a home that was convenient to our jobs, family and friends. Our neighborhood wasn't too bad when we first moved there but like I've mentioned above the illegals started to move in as the long time residents sold their homes and moved out. Obviously no one can predict the future of any given neighborhood, but that's something you should keep in mind about Peekskill.

If you work in NYC, you can drive to Croton and take the express train to the city, that would probably be your best bet. Croton is about 10 minutes away if you get on 9A.
I don't remember too many shootings during the 20 years we'd lived there? If there were, more than likely they were drug related and in the worst neighborhoods. As long as you stay out of those places you'll be okay.

As for bad schools you have to keep in mind that your kids will be amongst children of children of the underclass. Unless they're enrolled in parochial or private schools or you find a home in the Hendrick Hudson district.

As for young families moving in? We never noticed it, probably because of the schools. But as the cost of housing/living in Westchester County is astronomical. Peekskill may be about the only place they can afford to live if you want to call it affordable. Our property taxes in 2010, the year we moved out of New York were $11,500 for a 3 bedroom 1 bath, 1,100 sq. ft. home on a half acre lot.

I guess I could say that Peekskill is not the absolute worst place to live, but it certainly isn't the greatest either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County