U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM

37 posts, read 37,890 times

Advertisements

No i am not necessarily looking to only raise my children with mostly Jewish families but would like a presence in the town that we would live in. Like you we don't want our children to be the only Jewish kids in the neighborhood and i don't know westchester so i am asking other people for recommendations. The school and area are also important to us.
We have been looking in the areas you mentioned and just wanted to confirm that we are looking in the right places bc for ex I heard that that Larchmont had plenty of Jewish families but then also read that it didn't.
thanks for the idea about reaching out to temples also.

Can i ask where you ended up in Westchester

thanks for your feedback and advice
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM

yes we would use the public schools. I know that New rochelle might have large jewish populations but i don't believe they have top rated schools. now i am confused as it seems like one person says Larchmont has a fairly good jewish population and you say it is something of a Waspy place. Same for Harrison.

As for LI that has definitely changed too and re areas that had a jewish presence don't exist as much anymore

Old 04-24-2018, 01:49 PM

3,816 posts, read 1,798,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
No i am not necessarily looking to only raise my children with mostly Jewish families but would like a presence in the town that we would live in. Like you we don't want our children to be the only Jewish kids in the neighborhood and i don't know westchester so i am asking other people for recommendations. The school and area are also important to us.
We have been looking in the areas you mentioned and just wanted to confirm that we are looking in the right places bc for ex I heard that that Larchmont had plenty of Jewish families but then also read that it didn't.

We chose Mamaroneck but the Rye Neck Schools section (confusing but Rye Neck Schools have kids that live in Mamaroneck and City of Rye). Its a smaller school wherein Mamaroneck is larger. Larchmont definitely does have a Jewish population. Larchmont does not have its own school, they are part of Mamaroneck Schools.
Harrison definitely does have a Jewish population.
In the Rye Neck School District there is a section called Greenhaven which has MANY Jewish families. If you look at the houses in the school district for sale most of the houses that say "Rye" are Greenhaven in Rye Neck Schools. Link below. Again, good luck!

Rye Neck School District Real Estate | Homes for Sale with Rye Neck Schools | Rye Neck City Realtor&#174

Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM

920 posts, read 1,084,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post

This is why its hard to make major decisions, like buying a house, based on vague criteria from people you may not know well. What does "plenty of Jewish families" mean? What is plenty to one person might not be enough to another. You should inquire as to raw numbers from the same people that are telling you there are "plenty" or "not plenty". They won't be able to give you official numbers, but may be able to come up with a fair percentage estimate (10% for example) that would be more useful.

As for Larchmont, it is just a piece of the Mamaroneck SD, so even if Larchmont has a lot of Jewish families, your kids will be more effected by the amount of jewish kids (or lack their of) in the SD at large. They will all be together at MS and HS.

And it will probably be true that your kids friends, and therefore your friends, will be a mix of what is in the SD, and will not necessarily be tilted to the Jewish side. If you kid likes lacrosse and is on the lacrosse team, he or she will more likely be friends with a Catholic or Protestant kid on the lacrosse team than a Jewish kid who is not. The kids really don't care what religion people are.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:19 PM

987abc you are correct. what is plenty could mean different things to different people. that is why i was confused by the different posts bc it seemed like i was getting inconsistent info. about neighborhoods

i do know that Larchmont is part of Mamaroneck SD. I saw the difference in demographics in the elementary schools but they all feed in MS and HS so the tilt as you say would be gone in this school district and maybe others too. it seems like that is true for most of Westchester then

Old 04-24-2018, 03:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,307,582 times
There are plenty of Jewish families in Larchmont and Mamaroneck (specifically Orienta in Mamaroneck). We would see lots of families walking to temple on the weekends and high holidays along Orienta Avenue. Your kids will not be the only Jewish kids in these neighborhoods guaranteed.

FYI Orienta is zoned for Central Elementary and our Jewish neighbors loved it.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 36,622 times
Edgemont generally has lower taxes. Rye Brook is a good place to look at. I suggest you check you out suburbs101.com, Top 5 Westchester Towns with Shortest Commute and Best Schools - Suburbs 101

Old 04-25-2018, 11:30 AM

95 posts, read 167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKate View Post
Edgemont generally has lower taxes. Rye Brook is a good place to look at. I suggest you check you out suburbs101.com, Top 5 Westchester Towns with Shortest Commute and Best Schools - Suburbs 101
Are you sure about Edgemont? We looked there during our search and found the taxes to be on the higher end.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:47 AM

820 posts, read 930,490 times
I would go so far as to say almost every town in lower Westchester, especially those with good school districts, have a much larger Jewish population than national averages- so a population exists in many of them. However, not that many towns in Westchester would have a Jewish majority (I listed the towns where it would be more of a majority), and definitely not of a more conservative basis. So yea, there are certainly Jewish populations in Larchmont & Harrison, but it would not be the first way most would describe their populations. I just get the sense if religion is the first thing you're leading with here, Larchmont/Harrison might not specifically be the best fits for your expectations.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 AM

820 posts, read 930,490 times
Re New Rochelle, correct the schools are not considered great by Westchester standards, so many families who want to go private decide to live there so they are not paying an unnecessary school premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County