U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,523 times

Advertisements

Hi- we are moving to Westchester and thinking of looking in Harrison. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight into the schools there? I am not so concerned about test scores and the like but I am interested in learning about the culture of the schools- is the administration supportive of parent concerns particularly regarding bullying? is there a sense of community at certain schools compared to others? I realize no school or school district is perfect but would like to make an informed decision. We are also looking at homes in Pelham, Mamaroneck, & Rye Neck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 PM

3,719 posts, read 1,575,926 times
Since nobody has answered you, I will try. Harrison is a good school district. Back in the day it was one of the best. I feel it has changed. Hence the beautiful houses (tens of them) for sale at lower prices than the competing towns. Harrison schools seem to have suffered the tenure and pension phenomenon. It’s just not as highly respected anymore. That said, you can get a beautiful house for a great price in Harrison now. The schools are great I am sure. It’s just all about what is cool and hip. And right now Harrison schools are getting a bad rap for some reason. Probably a good time to buy there.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,523 times
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. Harrison is very appealing for all the reasons you stated. We will definitely give it a serious look. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 PM

826 posts, read 2,141,724 times
I know many families in Harrison and they all LOVE the schools. Rave about them (Harrison Ave and LMK Middle). It's funny because I too "hear" things about how they are not as great as other districts and Harrison just doesn't have the reputation that neighboring districts have. However, all of the families I know in Harrison are super pleased and really love where they live.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 AM

236 posts, read 257,625 times
Many people view Westchester as somewhat homogeneous politically (and socially) and are surprised when a town doesn't fit the expected mold in some significant way. This sometimes end up hurting its perception. In Harrison's case:
  • The town trends Republican in a way that other Sound Shore towns do not. It was the only town that has precincts that Trump carried in 2016, for example.
  • The town is larger geographically, so physical services (e.g., police, garbage, snow removal) tend to be spread a little more thinly and it sometimes becomes obvious in small but noticeable ways. In the winter, for example, driving across the Harrison/Rye border there will be occasional days that, for example, Park Avenue is plowed twice by Rye and once by Harrison.
  • The school faces headwinds from a budgetary standpoint because of services that it must provide that neighboring school districts do not. School buses are probably the biggest example, since the district is large geographically. Some of the neighboring school districts aren't large enough geographically to require school buses. Plus, because of slightly lower (by Westchester standards) property values their revenues also face a headwind. Lower revenue plus higher costs means that the district doesn't fare as well in comparison to neighboring school districts.
All said, however, Harrison is a great town with a wonderful downtown and a very good school. There is no good reason to exclude Harrison because of its school. I can come up with a list of challenges like this for each of the great school districts in Westchester, and it isn't necessarily an indictment of the school district.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 AM

3,719 posts, read 1,575,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova93 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. Harrison is very appealing for all the reasons you stated. We will definitely give it a serious look. Thanks again!
Anytime. I live in Rye Neck so if you have any questions regarding it let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County