U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM

32 posts, read 121,370 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the city but are ready to leave.. too hectic and expensive for us. We are a family of 4, with a 3 yr old and a newborn and ready for more space. I quit my work to raise our children, so we have a total income of a little over 120K before taxes. We'd like to be close to a town so I can easily run errands on foot. I'm also thinking that with 2 kids to take care of on my own, it might be really good to live in a housing community/condo with things like playground and pool within in. We are going to rent first. Does anyone know how to find a list of such types of places in Westchester? My husband works in Rye Brook and we'd like to be within 20-30 mins from there and within 1 hr from the city. We are open to the river towns as well since some of them are not that far. Our budget is $2,500 to $2,700 a month. Any info on The Arbors in Rye Brook? thanks a bunch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 AM

364 posts, read 1,920,679 times
How many rooms? I don't know anything about those areas. Just wondering how many rooms you would be able to afford with that cash.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM

101 posts, read 442,116 times
I think you may be able to find a rental in Arbors- a 2 bedrm for about 3k- possibly 2700. You can look at rentals on most realtor sites- try Houlihan Lawrence. Since your kids are not school age- you will have more options- since schools wouldnt be an issue. Try Tarrytown, maybe Hartsdale. You could also look in Greenwich. There are a lot of rentals in multi-family homes within walking distance to train and Greenwich Ave- also very close to Rye Brook. Good Luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Default near rye brook

We need at a minimum 2 bedrooms, but hopefully we'll find a 3 bdr. So far we have found quite a few single family houses with 3+ bdrs but there is always a catch... one was wonderful but right next to the Westchester airport (I mean 50 feet). The other was right across from a very large high school. One of the reasons for leaving the city is to lead a quieter life.. I don't think I'm being to picky Our move date is July 1st so we are a bit early... But would love to work a list of condos so we can start visiting and knowing the towns... The Arbors sounds great... but they are at around 3K which is a bit over out budget. I def. want to visit though... if you know of any others, please let me know? thanks much

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM

to follow up.. as far as number of rooms, it varies so much. I saw a great house with several rooms (5 or 6) but it was right next to the Westchester airport. Then another with 4 room, just across a large high school.. so it depends a lot on other variables. I saw a great condo with only 2 bedrooms for the same price, there was nothing wrong with it, except we need to move in July and they wanted to rent it now, it's probably gone, I'm not sure.. no backyard at all though.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM

371 posts, read 1,510,209 times
Just a word of advice, I live in a condo (in Danbury, Conn) and we don't have a deck or a backyard. We have a "driveway" between two buildings and that is where the kids play. It freaks me out because cars come through there. Being that I can never relax when we are out there with the kids I finally convinced my husband to find a house. We will be closing in a few weeks and I can't wait! So my advice, make sure you have a deck or some sort of land to let the kids play. Our neighbors constantly pound on our walls to shut my kids up because she hears them run around and chase each other. Its gotten to the point where we have called the cops and threatened harassment charges. Just make sure it is a kid friendly environment. Living in a condo is sharing housing. I am not trying to burst your bubble but just make sure the complex you move into has everything you are looking for. I didn't do that here. I fell in love with the size of the bedrooms and totally forgot about where the kiddos will play and a deck. We do have a pool which is great in the summer and we have a playground but sometimes you just want to be right outside your door, KWIM? If you could find something in a private home, that would be good too because then for sure they would have some land for play. Good luck with your search. I hope you find something that you like.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM

178 posts, read 641,661 times
You will probably need a car in Westchester. If you will be here for 4 years or more, you should think about a condo or co-op purchase.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County