Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 AM

40 posts, read 69,042 times

Advertisements

I'll just put it out there: My spouse and I have a HHI of about $650k. We are considering leaving Westchester because of the insane cost of living. Simply put, after mortgage, taxes, retirement saving and college saving for our kids, we are comfortable, but by no means living large. And that's living in a school district many people consider inferior. We've been looking at homes in some of the "fancier" districts, but paying $30k in property taxes in perpetuity -- for a house that needs work -- is starting to feel like something only crazy people do.

What we always ask ourselves is: Does everyone else just make more money than we do? Have grandparents footing the bill for their kids' college? Have an inheritance that they're counting on to fund retirement? Because it seems to me that you need to pull in about $1M or more to really live well in one of southern Westchester's highly-regarded school districts.

VERY curious what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,561,950 times
Definitely double check your spending because that's a lot of dough.

There are definitely good school districts where you don't have to pay 30k in taxes.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:13 AM

1,183 posts, read 701,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
I'll just put it out there: My spouse and I have a HHI of about $650k. We are considering leaving Westchester because of the insane cost of living. Simply put, after mortgage, taxes, retirement saving and college saving for our kids, we are comfortable, but by no means living large. And that's living in a school district many people consider inferior. We've been looking at homes in some of the "fancier" districts, but paying $30k in property taxes in perpetuity -- for a house that needs work -- is starting to feel like something only crazy people do.

What we always ask ourselves is: Does everyone else just make more money than we do? Have grandparents footing the bill for their kids' college? Have an inheritance that they're counting on to fund retirement? Because it seems to me that you need to pull in about $1M or more to really live well in one of southern Westchester's highly-regarded school districts.

VERY curious what others think.
You probably overspent on the house and bought a 1.5 mil instead of an $850K in the same district due to status anxiety. You can live well in that $850K house in a great SD and have plenty for 401, 529, vacations, camp etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM

131 posts, read 268,050 times
Disagree with OP. Buy a house in Edgewood SD of Scarsdale and you will have plenty of money left over.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You probably overspent on the house and bought a 1.5 mil instead of an $850K in the same district due to status anxiety. You can live well in that $850K house in a great SD and have plenty for 401, 529, vacations, camp etc.
Actually, what we did was buy a $750k house in a middling district when the market was down. We have zero status anxiety--that's why we save extensively and refuse to move somewhere where we can't continue to do that--we have no interest in working until we're 80. The alarm bells go off when we start looking at what $1M buys you in Edgemont, Larchmont, etc. You're lucky to get a one-car garage and central air. Decent kitchen? A pipe dream.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,716,418 times
logged in to agree with you. then i saw your HHI.

the issue is you and your spending.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 PM

131 posts, read 268,050 times
If taxes are your concern, the first thing is to strike edgemont off your list..more so than Scarsdale or larchmont

Old 05-14-2018, 01:03 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,596,808 times
You have a 750k house a few years ago and 650k HHI and you can't save? That makes no sense at all. You should be mortgage free by now and saving at least 50% of your income.

Edited to add: Oh you are already saving and being relatively frugal. You just have a problem with seeing other people living probably above their means. Just keep doing what you're doing, stay in your soon to be paid off house and don't worry about what the neighbors are doing.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 701,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
Actually, what we did was buy a $750k house in a middling district when the market was down. We have zero status anxiety--that's why we save extensively and refuse to move somewhere where we can't continue to do that--we have no interest in working until we're 80. The alarm bells go off when we start looking at what $1M buys you in Edgemont, Larchmont, etc. You're lucky to get a one-car garage and central air. Decent kitchen? A pipe dream.
I'd also cross Larchmont off your list - that's Mamaroneck School District. Houses are expensive for the SD. (Mamaroneck SD is just fine, but does not really support Larchmont house prices, try Rye or Rye Neck or Blind Brook SDs if you like that area.)

Look at the top 5 SDs in Westchester commute-wise (someone posted a link recently) and you can get a place for 850-900K just fine. You'll have sacks of money left over. Why do you need a garage? Cars do not rust nowadays. Most garages just fill with boxes anyway. Central AC is only 20 k or so to add if needed.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
logged in to agree with you. then i saw your HHI.

the issue is you and your spending.
Yup, I can certainly understand why you'd say that. So:

Monthly take-home, after maxing out 401ks, is about $25,000-$26,000.

Mortgage/taxes: $4500
Health insurance: $2000 (no workplace contribution)
529s for two kids: $1200
Car-related expenses + train/parking: $1500
Utilities: $1000
Misc. home expenses/maintenance: $1000
Childcare: $3000
Extra-curriculars: $500
Food/leisure -- I don't add this up usually... maybe $1500-$2000, depending on how much entertaining we're doing and how much we're working too much and ordering in?
Extra retirement saving: $1200
General saving: $3000

Then there's a vacation or two each year, and camp.

After that, there's a couple thousand left, which we easily blow on clothes, etc. for all four of us. Nothing out of line for our income level. Today I ordered some Old Navy pajamas for my kids, some diapers, a new water bottle for my son because he keeps losing the damn thing, and a new carseat.

So where's the crazy spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County