Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 32,766 times

Advertisements

Does Westchester have a website where the public can look up property records? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsouth2007 View Post
Does Westchester have a website where the public can look up property records? Thanks.
Yes. Try Westchester County Clerk

Charley

Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 32,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Yes. Try Westchester County Clerk

Charley

Can I also check the amount of property tax a particular homeowner pay? I am househunting in the county. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM

309 posts, read 766,090 times
I'm assuming you're trying to find out what the property tax is for houses you are looking at? If that is the case, a better method would be to call the tax assessor in the municipality in which the property is located & ask them what the property/house is assessed at & then find out what the tax rates are for the different taxing authorities (i.e. town, county, fire or sewer district, etc.) most towns have web sites with phone directories of employees so you should be able to find the tax assessor fairly quickly.
you can't necessarily just ask what a homeowner paid in taxes, tho, b/c there are some tax "discounts" that people qualify for depending on whether they have applied for STAR (a ridiculous 'rebate' program for school taxes) or if they are a veteran or volunteer firefighter, etc.
I know this wasn't a simple answer, but I hope it helps.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information | Zillow Real Estate and PropertyShark - Real Estate Maps, Foreclosures, Property Reports and Comparables list the taxes for all properties. But so does Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate, which lists all properties for sale.

Everybody is eligible for the basic STAR rebate, so its safe to assume that the actual taxes will be a bit less than what is listed (as far as I know, the rebate can range from $1,000 to over $3,000 depending on the house).

Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Despite the outrageous taxes we pay to Westchester County, there is no county assessor's office. Each town has it's own office. If you are looking in a community that it is a village, you usually have to go to the town of office (for example, the Village of Larchmont is in the Town of Mamaroneck).

Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
I should have noted that zillow also give "estimates" on the property's value. I've checked some of those against recent sales and have found them to be off by $100,000 to $250,000. so I wouldn't put much weight in them. It seems to be based solely on price per square foot for town, which is pretty meaningless in Westchester given how much houses vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County