Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 AM

92 posts, read 359,395 times

Advertisements

Being a young single guy, I can be out in NYC past the 1:53am metro north train back to White Plains. What reasonable ways is there to get to WP later than that? The only thing I can think of is the subway as far north as possible and then take a taxi... is there anything else that I don't know of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 AM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
The furthest the subway will take you is the Bronx and its still going to cost probably 20 bucks to take a car service to White Plains, if not more, as the bus doesn't run that time of night.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,698 times
A car from the train to WP will be more than that. I can't think of a reasonable way once metro north has stopped running and believe me I've tried!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I'd take the 4 all the way north to Woodlawn, get off there and look for a taxi below the station. The 4 is pretty safe at night. The area around the last stations for the D and the 2 can be sketchy at night. I think the 1 is alright up in Kingsbridge, but thats all the way west of where you want to be.

EDIT: You still might have some problems finding a taxi at that hour of the night. There are definitely less of them around once it gets late into the night (3-4am).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
Being a young single guy, I can be out in NYC past the 1:53am metro north train back to White Plains. What reasonable ways is there to get to WP later than that? The only thing I can think of is the subway as far north as possible and then take a taxi... is there anything else that I don't know of?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I'd take the 4 all the way north to Woodlawn, get off there and look for a taxi below the station. The 4 is pretty safe at night. The area around the last stations for the D and the 2 can be sketchy at night. I think the 1 is alright up in Kingsbridge, but thats all the way west of where you want to be.

EDIT: You still might have some problems finding a taxi at that hour of the night. There are definitely less of them around once it gets late into the night (3-4am).
The Woodlawn station can be sketchy at night also. Sometimes there's tons of people just hanging in there and wondering around when it's late, which might make you feel a little uncomfortable if you are by yourself.

Sorry to say but there are not many options at that time of the night. Start saving money and move closer to the city

Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Here is what you do if you miss the mythical last train out of Grand Central... you wait around for the first train back (5:30AM) or pay $120++ for a cab home if you can find a willing cabbie!

Believe me, I know this from my long nights out when I was younger and living in Westchester. I know that pain. If you miss that last train, hit up a diner for an hour or two. Most bars close @ 4 anyway, so you can just stay out later and grab that first local (makes everyyyy stop) train back.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 AM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
The Woodlawn station can be sketchy at night also. Sometimes there's tons of people just hanging in there and wondering around when it's late, which might make you feel a little uncomfortable if you are by yourself.

Sorry to say but there are not many options at that time of the night. Start saving money and move closer to the city
I've parked my car at both the last D stop and Woodlawn (4) to go to Yankee games (thank God metro north will have a stop for that soon).

While I've never had a problem at either one, Woodlawn has a saloon right under it and seems a bit more sketchy to me as well. D is more of a working class neighborhood.

That being said, I never had a problem at either.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
That bar is harmless. They just like to blast reggaeton at night, other than that I've never seen anything go down there.

The area in Norwood around the D though can be sketchy late at night. It is usually completely desolate with the exception of this one club/bar near the subway.

Personally I'd much rather wait around for a cab near the 4 than the D, but I guess thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
I've parked my car at both the last D stop and Woodlawn (4) to go to Yankee games (thank God metro north will have a stop for that soon).

While I've never had a problem at either one, Woodlawn has a saloon right under it and seems a bit more sketchy to me as well. D is more of a working class neighborhood.

That being said, I never had a problem at either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County