Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
How do you know that the Latino population in Bedford Hills is "illegal" as opposed to Green Card carrying? And, if it is, who cares. Why would that have any impact on someone's decision to live in a town?

As for the prison issue, there are $10 million dollar spreads a stones throw from the correctional facility. Beford Hills has huge estates to the west of town, as well as towards Bedford. The whole area is far too Waspy and white bread for my taste, but I wouldn't be concerned about the prison.
WASPY? Did they let my family in in error??? It's never seemed 'WASPY' to us....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Just my personal impression of the general tone of the area. Sorry if I offended!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 25,271 times
Bedford Hills is a little bit cheaper than Bedford (for millionaires), but still very overpriced for what your getting. There is a heavy latino population, however it's really not a bother or even noticeable. Katonah is a stones throw away, as well as Pound Ridge, Bedford, and Mount Kisco. Which are great places (Katonah is a personal favorite of mine). Yes, there is a correctional facility there. In fact it's the largest womens facility in america ( I think) and there has never been a problem. In fact, the Beaver Damn Sancturary is located in walking distance from the prision and it's a great place to go hiking, fishing, and horseback riding. I was there the other day and didn't even think about the prison.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
I'm sorry, unless you are an idiot, why would you work as a day laborer? Standing on corners, begging for work that in many cases does not come. AND YOU HAVE A GREEN CARD!!! I believe as long as your IQ is above 20 you could figure out that there is a labor shortage in this country and go work in a nice restaurant or become a security guard etc... Some of these pro-illegal folks just assume the rest of us are idiots to buy some of this crap they spew.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I'm sorry, unless you are an idiot, why would you work as a day laborer? Standing on corners, begging for work that in many cases does not come. AND YOU HAVE A GREEN CARD!!! I believe as long as your IQ is above 20 you could figure out that there is a labor shortage in this country and go work in a nice restaurant or become a security guard etc... Some of these pro-illegal folks just assume the rest of us are idiots to buy some of this crap they spew.
What makes you think there is a surplus of full-time restaurant or security guard jobs out there? That's absurd! Like most lower-income people, immigrants (regardless of their legal status) juggle multiple jobs to make ends-meet. They work as part-time cooks, cleaners, gardeners--any job they can get. And when they can't find anything, they work as day-laborers.

Sorry, but if you actually think that there is a surplus of steady, full-time jobs out there for untrained workers, then I suggest you pick up a paper or watch the news. Did you miss the news that the unemployment rate was up for the third month in a row in March and that the US lost 80,000 jobs? Your comments are pretty typical of those who are anti-illegal aliens--ignorant, narrow-minded, and completely without any merit.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
What makes you think there is a surplus of full-time restaurant or security guard jobs out there? That's absurd! Like most lower-income people, immigrants (regardless of their legal status) juggle multiple jobs to make ends-meet. They work as part-time cooks, cleaners, gardeners--any job they can get. And when they can't find anything, they work as day-laborers.

Sorry, but if you actually think that there is a surplus of steady, full-time jobs out there for untrained workers, then I suggest you pick up a paper or watch the news. Did you miss the news that the unemployment rate was up for the third month in a row in March and that the US lost 80,000 jobs? Your comments are pretty typical of those who are anti-illegal aliens--ignorant, narrow-minded, and completely without any merit.

Ohhhhhhh and the truth reveals itself. We have no labor surplus and therefore should absolutely not need illegal labor. In fact, the illegal labor is probably what is causing those green card holders alot of trouble trying to find work. Which side are you on?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Ohhhhhhh and the truth reveals itself. We have no labor surplus and therefore should absolutely not need illegal labor. In fact, the illegal labor is probably what is causing those green card holders alot of trouble trying to find work. Which side are you on?
You're just playing dumb, right? We have no surplus of full-time, stable jobs. What we have is lots of part-time, inconsistent work with no benefits. Those are the jobs that many immigrants take. On the days that the day laborers are not out waiting for work they are mowing your lawn, planting your shrubs, painting your house, washing your dishes--doing all of the low-paid, unskilled, part-time jobs that have no stability and no benefits--and that no one else wants. Our regional economy depends on immigrants--including illegal ones--to do all of the dirty work that no one else wants to do. Those people are not taking any full-time stable work from anyone--not from Green Card holders and not from native-born Americans. What they are doing is allowing people like you and me to get a huge array of services for really low prices. It is really pretty obvious and basic.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You're just playing dumb, right? We have no surplus of full-time, stable jobs. What we have is lots of part-time, inconsistent work with no benefits. Those are the jobs that many immigrants take. On the days that the day laborers are not out waiting for work they are mowing your lawn, planting your shrubs, painting your house, washing your dishes--doing all of the low-paid, unskilled, part-time jobs that have no stability and no benefits--and that no one else wants. Our regional economy depends on immigrants--including illegal ones--to do all of the dirty work that no one else wants to do. Those people are not taking any full-time stable work from anyone--not from Green Card holders and not from native-born Americans. What they are doing is allowing people like you and me to get a huge array of services for really low prices. It is really pretty obvious and basic.

You are right, we have alot of part time and inconsistent work opportunies out there. So lets help legal immigrants fill those jobs, with some semblance of security so they don't have to stand on corners like you say they are doing.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,608 times
Hm I live in Bedford Hills. It is a nice place to raise a family. The median home price here in any of the towns,Bedford Hills,Katonah or Mount Kisco is $525,000 and believe me that will get you a 2 bedroom,1200 sq foot home. Nothing fancy. The condos at Bedford Mews aren't cheap and I know people who live there and love it. I also know a couple who couldn't wait to leave. It's all what you like,home living vs condo living. The schools? Well we just put out daughter in private school. I was a teacher and didn't find the school to be very good. It's of course my opinion. Other people love the public schools in the area. The prisons are here. But as one other person noted,there are $4-5 million dollar estates literally 5 feet up Harris Rd. from there. I actually feel safe here. Why would it be a negative for a prison to be here? In this area there is almost no crime. And I know many people who volunteer at either one. There are two. They are for woman so maybe that's why it's doesn't bother me as much. The area so you know is very congested and on weekends you have to take the Saw Mill to Mount Kisco,forget 117. There are loads of amazing shops here. Not really any good family places to eat. The diners aren't that good. And The Katonah Grill is outrageously expensive. But they do have the best sweet potatoe french fries. There is also a terrific consignment shop next to the train station called The Preppy Turtle. All high end names at amazing prices. There are really great family oriented people living here but I have to tell you that to even consider living here you need some serious cash. I am so happy I bought when I did b/c I couldn't buy anything today.
Oh also the town is close to all of the major highways and you can work pretty much anywhere. Stamford is nearby as is White Plains,the train is here,it's a pretty convenient place to be.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,217 times
The term "Bedford" refers to several areas within the town. Bedford Village is a more rural area - no bus line, great elementary school. Bedford Hills has shopping, train & bus, and contrary to some opinions there is a huge number of illegals in Bedford Hills & Mount Kisco. The day workers now congregate in Katonah in the AM. There are certain streets where the rentals are overflowing with men sleeping everywhere. The town does inspect houses for overcrowding. Basically wherever there is public transportation there is a transient population. The further out you go from the shopping areas the nicer & mostly larger the houses are. Unfortunately all of these areas send their children to Fox Lane High School. The upper income families are thrown in with the "no income" families. Unfortunately due to the lack of nice, reasonable housing my husband & I moved away last year after 40 years. Why would a landlord rent to two hard working born & raised residents when he can get 10x as much with a house full of laborers that will not complain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County